Getting parts for my new computer and I have some questions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WeaponMasterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 WeaponMasterX
Member since 2004 • 893 Posts

Hey,

I recently decided it was time for me to get back in the pc-gaming business as I see myself with more spare-time now and I have the money to build myself a nice computer. I've done quite a bit a research and tried to learn what's good these days (last time I had any knowledge about computer parts Nvidia 6800 was the big thing). And I've come up with a list of parts, I would however like advice on if these are a good idea, or if there's something out there that's better. I don't really have a budget to stick to, but I kinda know what I want, but that still doesn't mean I'll spend hundreds of dollars more just to squeeze out that last, small bit of performance improvement :P

The first thing I need help with is a case, I'm really not a big fan of the huge towers with lights blinking and flashing, I prefer a "boring" normal-looking case that has efficient cooling and gets the job done properly. I've looked at the Antec Three Hundred case and it seems like a good choice for me, but do you guys have any other suggestions?

As for the rest of the hardware, I was thinking something like this:

Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, X58, Socket-1366,DDR3,ATX,SLI&CrossFireX,3xPCI-Ex

PSU: Intel Core i7 920

GPU: Radeon HD 5870

RAM: OCZ DDR3 6 GB Gold XTC 1600MHzKit with 3x 2048 MB

HDD: Western Digital 640GB S-ATA II 7200 RPMCaviar Special Edition 16MB (Could use more suggestions here, as I don't really know much about this)

PSU: I was thinking about going with the Corsair PSU, HX850W, modular. Though I'm really not sure if I should go with modular or not? Should I save the money and just get the TX version instead? Or should I get this one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

And lastly; sound card: Should I get one? Do I need one? I have an ok 2.1 speaker system, if yes, which should I get?

Help or any input at all really, is very appreciated! :)

WeaponMasterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 WeaponMasterX

No one? :(

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
That build looks solid, will max all games. I'm no experts on PSU, but going modular is always good. You don't NEED a sound card, it wont be a great investment. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I know what it can feel like to have no one answer your questions :(
Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

WeaponMasterX
Well first of all the Antec 300 will not fit a 5870 lol. Hold on I'll find you some cases :). Would you mind a silver colored case?
MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

[QUOTE="WeaponMasterX"]

UltimateGamer95

Well first of all the Antec 300 will not fit a 5870 lol. Hold on I'll find you some cases :). Would you mind a silver colored case?

It fits.

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MaoTheChimp

Bleh. Fail again. Looks like the 300's drive cage extends further than the 900's. You might have a VERY tight fit trying to get it in.

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MaoTheChimp

Pardon the triple post. Looks like the middle area will be inaccessable for HDD's. Otherwise, you'll have the clearance.

UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UltimateGamer95

I'd recommend this case instead ;). The 5870 will fit if the top hard drive cage is taken out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129061&Tpk=p183

MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MaoTheChimp

I'd recommend this case instead ;). The 5870 will fit if the top hard drive cage is taken out http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129061&Tpk=p183

UltimateGamer95

So what's the difference of that compared to the Antec 300? For the price of the P183, he could get an HAF 932, which could easily fit a 5970.

UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UltimateGamer95

[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"]

MaoTheChimp

So what's the difference of that compared to the Antec 300? For the price of the P183, he could get an HAF 932, which could easily fit a 5970.

Because he said that he wanted a more plain looking case and the P183 is perfect for that ;)
WeaponMasterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WeaponMasterX

That build looks solid, will max all games.

I'm no experts on PSU, but going modular is always good.

You don't NEED a sound card, it wont be a great investment.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I know what it can feel like to have no one answer your questions :(Ikavnieks

Thank you :) Just getting a reassuring nod that I'm at least in the right direction helps alot :) And thanks for the advice, I'll get the modular PSU and probably wait with the sound card ;)

[QUOTE="MaoTheChimp"]

[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"]

UltimateGamer95

Because he said that he wanted a more plain looking case and the P183 is perfect for that ;)

You have a point, Mao. But yeah, what UltimateGamer said is right, I'd prefer a neutral case, nothing too fancy, but is it really so few good choices for a good gaming case? Ok, so lets say I open the search a bit wider then, basic lights are ok if the case is really that good :P I just prefer not having a rainbow under my desk while working on it. What do you suggest, Mao? And UltimateGamer? Everything goes now :P As long as the quality is top-notch ;p

WeaponMasterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WeaponMasterX
[QUOTE="WeaponMasterX"]Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2Gr33nHippo
The ASUS P6T Deluxe is same price as the V2, and I think I remember reading the first version is better? Not sure, maybe someone else knows.

Really? I wasn't aware of this, I always read that the V2 was recommended? Someone who can clarify this please? :)
sihunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sihunt
Member since 2007 • 1116 Posts

Hi If you like a very conservative looking case,

this one is not bad:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233016&Tpk=gigabyte%20triton

Newegg use to sell the silver version of this case as well. I have the silver version. It is a very solidly

built case that will fit the HD 5870. The air flow is OK and very quiet but I put 2 Scythe S-Flex fans

in it to boost the air flow a bit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006&cm_re=s-flex_120mm-_-35-185-006-_-Product

Also there is an air filter in front of the front 120mm fan. There is no plastic on the outside of this case.

The front bezel is made of aluminum.