Getting my brother a PC for christmas, have a few questions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 matte3560
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts

Okay, so I've been asked by my parents to come up with a decent computer for my little brother. I'm looking at a prebuilt from a norwegian hardware website, and i have a few questions about the parts.

I'm swapping out the 8800GTX in my own rig for a 5970, so i plan to replace the 4770 in the prebuilt with that. I can pick what PSU the thing should come with, but I'm on a tight budget. Will the Chieftec Smart Series 550W do the job? it has 2x 6-pin connectors, so it has that covered at least. This is only going to be a C2D based system, so the system won't use much power otherwise.

The second thing I'm wondering about is what mobo to go for. The default option is an ASUS P5QPL-AM (G41 chipset, it's an M-ATX board). Personally i use a P5Q Pro, and I'm happy with that. There is also an option for a P5Q Deluxe and a P5Q SE2. Should i go for the P5QPL-AM? This mobo won't be used for OCing, so thats not significant.

Third, how much RAM should I get for Windows 7? The default amount is 2 GB for this prebuilt. I know the RAM usage has gotten better since Vista, but I'm still a bit unsure about this. Will there be a general performance increase with 4 GB?

One last thing: I have a copy of Windows XP Pro, and I have it installed on both my server and laptop. Can it be installed a third time, and still have full functionality, or will I need a new license?

The rig will be used with a 22-inch monitor, and my brother plays source games for the most part (TF2, CSS etc.). Please keep in mind that this is a budget build.

Thanks in advance!

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
Firstly, a 4770 is better than a 8800GTX. I think. So if you want to save money, you could always buy it without a graphics card then put in the 8800. If it isn't going to be OCed, I wouldn't worry about the motherboard too much, But I really don't know. 2GB is sufficient, 4GB is comfortable, it depends how much money you want to spend but you won't see a huge difference in most games/ browsing. I don't know about the OS question. Before a lot of butt hurt custom builders flog this topic saying you should build your own, You should at least consider custom built, maybe get someone else to do it, UltimateGamer around here builds PCs for people, you could try her.
Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts
[QUOTE="Ikavnieks"]Firstly, a 4770 is better than a 8800GTX. I think. So if you want to save money, you could always buy it without a graphics card then put in the 8800. If it isn't going to be OCed, I wouldn't worry about the motherboard too much, But I really don't know. 2GB is sufficient, 4GB is comfortable, it depends how much money you want to spend but you won't see a huge difference in most games/ browsing. I don't know about the OS question. Before a lot of butt hurt custom builders flog this topic saying you should build your own, You should at least consider custom built, maybe get someone else to do it, UltimateGamer around here builds PCs for people, you could try her.

Sure but I'm not sure what his budget is though and I would have to ship international at that might be an inconvience for him
matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 matte3560
[QUOTE="Ikavnieks"]Firstly, a 4770 is better than a 8800GTX. I think. So if you want to save money, you could always buy it without a graphics card then put in the 8800. If it isn't going to be OCed, I wouldn't worry about the motherboard too much, But I really don't know. 2GB is sufficient, 4GB is comfortable, it depends how much money you want to spend but you won't see a huge difference in most games/ browsing. I don't know about the OS question. Before a lot of butt hurt custom builders flog this topic saying you should build your own, You should at least consider custom built, maybe get someone else to do it, UltimateGamer around here builds PCs for people, you could try her.

I have considered doing it myself, and I really don't see much of advantage in doing so. Buying parts is really expensive here in Norway, and the site I'm looking at only uses parts from other companies (no in-house made crap that does not work with other brands). Also, I don't want to sit up at night building this, so he doesn't find out about it :P Will the 8800 GTX fit in a Cooler Master Elite 310? Buying without a GPU is not possible, so I'll look at some benchmarks, and see what i think...
matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 matte3560
[QUOTE="UltimateGamer95"][QUOTE="Ikavnieks"]Firstly, a 4770 is better than a 8800GTX. I think. So if you want to save money, you could always buy it without a graphics card then put in the 8800. If it isn't going to be OCed, I wouldn't worry about the motherboard too much, But I really don't know. 2GB is sufficient, 4GB is comfortable, it depends how much money you want to spend but you won't see a huge difference in most games/ browsing. I don't know about the OS question. Before a lot of butt hurt custom builders flog this topic saying you should build your own, You should at least consider custom built, maybe get someone else to do it, UltimateGamer around here builds PCs for people, you could try her.

Sure but I'm not sure what his budget is though and I would have to ship international at that might be an inconvience for him

I think the international shipping is too expensive to be worth it. I'll bet it's time consuming as well, and I'd like to have it ready by christmas.
matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 matte3560

I've looked at some benchmarks, and i guess I'll just leave the 4770 in place. I was thinking it would be weaker than the 4830, but turns out it's close to the 4850. I'll bet ATI had a laugh when they picked a name here >.>

You can scratch the PSU question in that case I guess, as the 4770 consumes much less power. Scratch the size issue with the 8800 as well.

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
Good to hear it. sounds like a good setup.
ericpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ericpol
Member since 2006 • 370 Posts
If you're using xp 32 bit anything over 3gb of ram is a waste
WeaponMasterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 WeaponMasterX
Member since 2004 • 893 Posts

I've done a lot of research concerning this and I live in Norway too. You've got a lot of good advice here already, so I just thought I'd help out with the buying and assembling part. First of all, if you've decided to assemble it yourself then use prisguide.no to get the cheapest prices (unless you're buying overseas which I don't recommend), if not, then use netshop.no. They have a great computer-assembly system where they put together your computer with all the parts you've bought, with only 300 nok (about 50 bucks) added to the total price of the parts, and they throw in an extra 3 year-warranty on the whole thing. Just don't use the build-a-computer stuff on komplett or something, that's a complete rip-off if you look at the price vs price for parts

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I thought the 8800GTX was better than the 4770? Although it's older, bigger and uses more power. Anyone confirm this?

EDIT: Looks like i was wrong, the sticky disagrees. Sorry. In which case, the 4770 should be a better idea because it uses less power, so that PSU will probably be fine.

matte3560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 matte3560
Thanks for the help guys! The order has been placed, and it should be on it's way soon. I went with 4 GB RAM and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (I'd like to have the professional version so he can get access to my server HDDs and so I can remote control it). Since OCing won't be an issue, I went with the P5QPL-AM board.