Getting better sales on a smaller store? Wait what?

#1 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30730 posts) -

Hi guys, here is a statement from Epic from a few days ago:

Satisfactory launched in Early Access a little over a month ago. Early projections of its popularity were slightly underestimated: this has been Coffee Stain’s best PC launch ever!

Anno 1800 from Ubisoft, and Metro: Exodus from 4A Games, had the best PC launches in their respective franchise’s history.

Yet none of this sounds really logical: How can Anno sell better on the Epic Store compared to previous Anno games on steam, when steam has a way bigger playerbase?

We could say that the Steam store has been flooded for the past few years and that games are simply more discoverable on the Epic store. But I still have a hard time believing Epic here, especially when they have been caught in the past making false statements.

#2 Posted by rmpumper (563 posts) -

Unless they have access to an alternative universe where these games are exclusive to Steam and sold less copies, Epic is of shit.

#3 Posted by pyro1245 (4926 posts) -

Satisfactory looks cool, but it ain't no Factorio.

Personally I don't believe a damn word that Epic says. I'm also not going to boycott a game I want to play just because it comes out on the Epic store. All launchers are shit. Steam has just been around so long it's much less shit than it was a long time ago.

I think most people don't care about the 'launcher wars' and will just buy a game they want. And the crap Epic has been pulling is not exactly giving games there less visibility on the internet. I guess all publicity is good publicity. Even if the company has been 'of shit'.

#4 Edited by BassMan (10038 posts) -

Less competition and a curated store means more exposure. Fortnite is insanely popular to say the least, and everybody who plays it has Epic Games Store/launcher installed. So, the userbase is actually pretty massive and most people don't really care if they have to buy a game on the Epic store instead of Steam. They are all good games too. It doesn't surprise me that they are selling well.

#5 Posted by with_teeth26 (9479 posts) -

the good sales are likely unrelated to the storefronts. The games are good, got good reviews, word of mouth etc. so they sold well. I suspect they would have sold just as well or even slightly better if they were on Steam

#6 Posted by xantufrog (11176 posts) -

Do they actually come out and say the best sales are on their store? From the wording in your quote... my guess is they are just trying to do some PR and imply responsibility for the games selling well overall without lying and asserting it

#7 Edited by R4gn4r0k (30730 posts) -

@BassMan said:

Less competition and a curated store means more exposure. Fortnite is insanely popular to say the least, and everybody who plays it has Epic Games Store/launcher installed. So, the userbase is actually pretty massive and most people don't really care if they have to buy a game on the Epic store instead of Steam. They are all good games too. It doesn't surprise me that they are selling well.

I'm not denying the Epic Store has massive exposure, but I also want to point out that Steam has had years of a lead and this has resulted in:

• Steam's playerbase being the largest
  • People becoming die hard steam fans that have their 'livelihoods' there and don't want to migrate to a different store. "Steam or no buy"
@with_teeth26 said:

the good sales are likely unrelated to the storefronts. The games are good, got good reviews, word of mouth etc. so they sold well. I suspect they would have sold just as well or even slightly better if they were on Steam

Let's hope this much is true. Have you bought much on the Epic Store yet?

@xantufrog said:

Do they actually come out and say the best sales are on their store? From the wording in your quote... my guess is they are just trying to do some PR and imply responsibility for the games selling well overall without lying and asserting it

Well the previous statements from Epic have been vague to say the least. They did this comparison where they said Metro sold better on their store compared to steam, but they took a really average selling title, and they didn't compare it to the best selling Metro title on steam.

#8 Posted by DaVillain- (36073 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

Hi guys, here is a statement from Epic from a few days ago:

Satisfactory launched in Early Access a little over a month ago. Early projections of its popularity were slightly underestimated: this has been Coffee Stain’s best PC launch ever!

Anno 1800 from Ubisoft, and Metro: Exodus from 4A Games, had the best PC launches in their respective franchise’s history.

Yet none of this sounds really logical: How can Anno sell better on the Epic Store compared to previous Anno games on steam, when steam has a way bigger playerbase?

We could say that the Steam store has been flooded for the past few years and that games are simply more discoverable on the Epic store. But I still have a hard time believing Epic here, especially when they have been caught in the past making false statements.

But isn't Anno 1800 not on Uplay? In all honesty, between Epic & Uplay only, I would rather buy the game on Uplay then Epic since I gotta run it through Uplay anyways. I did buy Division 2 on Uplay over Epic due to I need Uplay account in order to play the game anyways.

Something's not right about Epic's logic Anno 1800 selling well over their since that game is also on Uplay. If it was on Steam, I would buy it on Steam and not bother with Uplay & Epic.

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30730 posts) -
@davillain- said:

But isn't Anno 1800 not on Uplay? In all honesty, between Epic & Uplay only, I would rather buy the game on Uplay then Epic since I gotta run it through Uplay anyways. I did buy Division 2 on Uplay over Epic due to I need Uplay account in order to play the game anyways.

Something's not right about Epic's logic Anno 1800 selling well over their since that game is also on Uplay. If it was on Steam, I would buy it on Steam and not bother with Uplay & Epic.

So games like you say Anno and The Division will always be on Uplay so it's:

• Uplay
  • Uplay + steam
  • Uplay + epic

So the smartest thing to do is not bother with the attachement stores and just buy on Uplay directly or a key. I only have Ubisoft games on Steam because I like the sales there more :P

And yeah it does seem more logical that a game like Anno or The Division would sell best on Ubisofts own store (if we leave Steam out of the picture). Yet Epic is claiming that the game sales on their store are the best in franchise history.

"Anno 1800 from Ubisoft, ..., had the best PC launches in their respective franchise’s history.

Hell, reading the sentence again... They are probably lumping steam pre-order sales in there as well, which were immense, same story with Metro Exodus.

#10 Posted by with_teeth26 (9479 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:
@with_teeth26 said:

Let's hope this much is true. Have you bought much on the Epic Store yet?

so far Epic haven't got a cent from me, only game i've played through the Epic launcher is Exodus which I received as a review copy.

that will likely change sometime this year though

#11 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43791 posts) -

Ugh, bragging. Yet another reason to not pay Epic any heed or money.

@xantufrog said:

I haven't bought a single Ubisoft game from Epic, and I've bought every new Ubisoft release from the past few months.

I haven't launched the Epic Store since the Satisfactory beta which, while a potentially good game, was nothing impressive and definitely nowhere near as good as Factorio, first-person perspective or no.

#12 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30730 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

Ugh, bragging. Yet another reason to not pay Epic any heed or money.

Yes, this seems to me to be about bragging and using 'shoddy' information to do so.

I like Steam because they are always open in their communication. Epic is off to a shady start for me.