Getting a new SSD: NVMe or SATA III?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

So, with Black Friday upon us, I've been looking to get a new SSD to complement my Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB, which is almost full. I've been out of the loop when it comes to SSD developments, and I'm basically trying to decide between a Samsung 860 EVO SATA III 500 GB at 100$ or a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe at 170$ (All prices in CAD)

My motherboard, a Z97 Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK does have an M.2 slot, but since it was among the first motherboard to support the feature, I am worried there might be compatibility issues, based on some research I've done.

Additionally, are the speed increases for normal day-to-day usage worth the extra 70$ ? My PC's main use is homework (MS Office, Excel, Internet) with some gaming thrown in. Based on what I read online, the main benefit of NVMe is only for large programs or file transfers, so I am leaning towards saving the 70$.

What do you guys think? I am leaning towards the 860 EVO at the moment, but I'd like to hear from users of NVMe SSDs to let me know if the improvement justifies the extra price.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Unless you move large chunks of data from one medium to another and need more than 500mb/s rates ( one drive to another or external device). NVMe speeds are almost useless for normal users or gamers.

Now as long as your board can support 2280 m.2's you will be fine using one.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

Is your current SSD to slow for you usage?

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 genius2365
@horgen said:

Is your current SSD to slow for you usage?

I would say no, my current SSD is plenty fast for my needs, I really just needed more SSD space.

However, I have a friend who is very into PC tech, and he described NVMe as being a massive jump in performance, and it was worth the extra price difference. That's why I did some research online and I'm asking here to make sure I'm not crazy in finding that unless you're dealing with massive files, it won't make a difference in my day-to-day work.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17792 Posts

I just replaced my main OS SSD with a 970 EVO NVMe. Cloning the old drive was quick and easy and I did not have to format and install windows again which is very nice. There is not much difference for most tasks. However, extracting compressed files and copying files is very quick. Apps load up about the same from what I can tell. I think NVMe is very good for production stuff. Most people won't make much use of the extra speed and I probably won't either, but I already upgraded pretty much everything else in my build, I figured I might as well get an NVMe drive. Now my old OS SSD gives me another 500GB for games which brings me to 2.5TB dedicated just for games. hehe :)

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Go with the nvme and you can use your current ssd as continued storage. Win win.

By the time you start noticing issues with the old drive, the new generation of tlc drives will be bigger and cheaper to replace it. Its the wiser upgrade path for storage. Meanwhile, nothing outperforms a good nvme.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 genius2365

So I decided to go with the Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SATA III finally, I ordered one for 100$. I can save the NVMe slot for a future upgrade once my old SSD dies, and I get a better bang for buck with SATA III, whose speed is still plenty fast for me.

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations!