Gears of War Ultimate edition performance

#1 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

Is this game CPU demanding? Thinking about the single player.

Specs in signature, but for those who have them turned off:

• GPU RTX2080
  • CPU: Intel 6600K at 4.7
  • RAM: 3200 MHz CL18 probably. Horrible timings I know.
  • Storage: Sata SSD
  • Monitor: 3440*1440 at 144Hz

The fps varies greatly depending on the area naturally, but at ultra with anti aliasing turned off, is it the CPU or GPU that is mostly dragging the performance down? FPS reaches the low 40's some places.

#2 Posted by BassMan (10570 posts) -

@horgen: Try running Afterburner and see what the usage is.

#3 Posted by rmpumper (669 posts) -

If this is accurate, then the CPU is pretty much irrelevant for the game (tested with Fury X):

#4 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

@rmpumper: That's what I expected given how old the game is, but you never know with a remaster.

@BassMan said:

@horgen: Try running Afterburner and see what the usage is.

Had it running. Didn't pay attention to it. -_-

#5 Posted by GeryGo (12450 posts) -

Refund and enjoy the original game :P no performance issues there

#6 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

@BassMan: Checked usage now. It's low, like in 50%.

@PredatorRules said:

No longer have X360 or the original game.

#7 Posted by PCgameruk (2273 posts) -

@horgen said:

@BassMan: Checked usage now. It's low, like in 50%.

@PredatorRules said:

No longer have X360 or the original game.

I think he means the original PC release, but i don't think you can get anywhere other than off ebay. I bet it will have problems running because of with GFWL lots of old games do.

#8 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

@PCgameruk: Not happening. I wont bother. Anyhow finished it today so now I will split between Forza Horizon 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

#9 Posted by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@rmpumper said:

If this is accurate, then the CPU is pretty much irrelevant for the game (tested with Fury X):

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Gears-of-War-Ultimate-Edition-Spiel-55573/Specials/DirectX-12-Benchmarks-Test-1208296/

With GTX 1080 GPU G1 and Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4,5 GHz, 32 GiByte DDR4-3000 RAM.

#10 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

So apparently one of the Win10 updates killed the performance. It's honestly all over the place. Occasionally good.

#11 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@horgen said:

So apparently one of the Win10 updates killed the performance. It's honestly all over the place. Occasionally good.

Loading Video...

Intel Core i5 7600K with 4C/4T getting smashed with recent games.

For Intel CPUs with RTX 2080, my minimum CPUs are Core i5 8600's 6C/6T or Core i4-4770K 4C/8T.

Against PS5's 8 core Zen v2, my future minimum gaming CPU would match it. I'm looking at Zen v2 + 570 chipset.

---------

Clean Windows 10 re-install has solved my laptop's AMD mobile GPU driver and Windows 10 1903 problems. Windows 10 1903 works better with Ryzen.

Clean Windows 10 re-install removes HP's OEM drivers and uses Windows Update drivers.

#12 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

@ronvalencia: Who didnt’ see that coming?

#13 Edited by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@horgen said:

@ronvalencia: Who didnt’ see that coming?

I seen Core i5's limitation since my Core i5 2500K build ITX. I didn't buy any desktop Intel CPU without 8 threads. For the future, my guidance is based on Sony PS5's 8 cores Zen v2.

My basic idea, 8 cores for PS5 era games + additional cores or extra clock speed for multi-tasking.

#14 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

@ronvalencia: I think I’m getting 12 with my next upgrade. Eyeing the 3900X to be honest. First thought about 3800X, but now I go one up.

#15 Posted by ronvalencia (28203 posts) -

@horgen said:

@ronvalencia: I think I’m getting 12 with my next upgrade. Eyeing the 3900X to be honest. First thought about 3800X, but now I go one up.

The alternative is waiting for a few months for Intel's counter move when competitive environment heats up.

#16 Posted by BassMan (10570 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@horgen said:

The alternative is waiting for a few months for Intel's counter move when competitive environment heats up.

There is always something better coming. Each person buys when it is right for them. Horgen is definitely due for an upgrade and the 3900X is a mighty fine CPU.

#17 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

@BassMan said:
@ronvalencia said:
@horgen said:

There is always something better coming. Each person buys when it is right for them. Horgen is definitely due for an upgrade and the 3900X is a mighty fine CPU.

It would be nice to know what price to expect from Intel. The price on 3900X doesn't upset me so much, although it is 50$ above expected. The mobos on the other hand are damn expensive.

#18 Edited by BassMan (10570 posts) -

@horgen: Yeah, the mobos are offering the latest and greatest with PCIE 4.0. I am not surprised that they are charging a premium. Kind of sucks if you are looking for an overall bang for your buck with AMD.

#19 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

@BassMan said:

@horgen: Yeah, the mobos are offering the latest and greatest with PCIE 4.0. I am not surprised that they are charging a premium. Kind of sucks if you are looking for an overall bang for your buck with AMD.

A norwegian store had the price listed on some mobos. One that I look at was quite expensive. Like more than 3800X.

#20 Edited by the_bi99man (11273 posts) -

Is the ultimate edition coming to PC? Not just Xbox One? Also, does it include the missing chapters that were included in the original PC release, but not the original X360 game?

#21 Posted by Horgen (120906 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

Is the ultimate edition coming to PC? Not just Xbox One? Also, does it include the missing chapters that were included in the original PC release, but not the original X360 game?

This is the PC version. I think it had the missing chapters.

#22 Posted by Ouji-San (31 posts) -

@horgen:

my specs are

i5-3470

12gb ram ddr3

gtx 1080

ultra-wide monitor 2560x1080

i too get veritable frames sometimes 45 i think its bad coding / port?

luckly have an xbox one to play the original or the remastered