This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LordsLoss
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

It has been a few years since I built my PC and I am planning on building one for my girlfriend and myself when I go to her house. I want it to pretty much hold up very well in 1080 seeing as that is the monitor I will probably go with, but I will get a 4k TV next year so there is always that. It will be used for playing games, video editing, and everything else. I was wanting some help on the parts to get. Here is what I think will be well so far. My price range is roughly $1500 for everything and seeing as I work at Best Buy I can get a nice deal on most of them. i'll also need a good amount of space for all of the videos we will be editing and keeping. We record our game play and since I got the new Gopro 4 I have been filming a lot in 4k which eats up space.

GPU: GTX 970 (Not sure which brand)

Processor: i7-4790k

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16g (not sure on how much I need)

HDD: Segate Baracuda 2T (I'll add an SSD later)

Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1150 GA-H97 (unless there is a better one)

Keyboard: Logitech G510 (The one I have)

Monitor: Not sure. A 23 inch IPS monitor would be ideal, but there are so many out there to choose from. Any suggestions?

PSU: Corsair CX 750 (Not sure if I need more power with this setup)

Case: Probably a HAF XM Midtower case. No need for a full I think.)

Mouse: Already has one

Headset: Already has one

Any changes let me know!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@LordsLoss:

Cut the PSU down to 650 watt, more is pointless.

You may want to wait for the 8GB Maxwell cards if your eying 4k.

You need a Z97 mobo for OC'ing, the H97 is locked.

Considered a CPU cooler? Hyper 212+ is cheap and good.

Snuphalem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Snuphalem
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Get a CPU cooler. Even if you don't think you will reach stressing temps, it's better in terms of efficiency and how long it will last.

Depending on what you are going to be doing 16gb ram should be enough for what you've mentioned. If you're an engineer and have heavy duty designing (or something related) 32gb might be better. But for you 16gb will suffice

If you have the money consider getting a SSD. Basically a traditional HDD is fine for everything, SSD is simply a much faster hard drive. Many people have HDD or some external drive for their data, but use SSD for the uncomparible speed.

If space is not an issue I would get a full sized case just because it makes it so much easier to work with.

If you are going to be getting a monitor for gaming I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this monitor (or 2): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009642. It's 24 inch which is great, and the combination between 1ms response time and 120 refresh rate is unbeatable by most monitors. It has everything you need.

Get this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157503 or if you want a few advancements like bluetooth and wifi then get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132117

GPU depends on what you are wanting to do with graphics but 970 should suffice.

Everything else looks great.

P.S. Make sure to get warranties! You never know what could go wrong!

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

Unless you are running some heavy software (even video editing won't make a huge difference) I always tell people to get an i5. They literally game just as well as i7 in benchmarks. You can save yourself some money in that department.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@LordsLoss said:

It has been a few years since I built my PC and I am planning on building one for my girlfriend and myself when I go to her house. I want it to pretty much hold up very well in 1080 seeing as that is the monitor I will probably go with, but I will get a 4k TV next year so there is always that. It will be used for playing games, video editing, and everything else. I was wanting some help on the parts to get. Here is what I think will be well so far. My price range is roughly $1500 for everything and seeing as I work at Best Buy I can get a nice deal on most of them. i'll also need a good amount of space for all of the videos we will be editing and keeping. We record our game play and since I got the new Gopro 4 I have been filming a lot in 4k which eats up space.

GPU: GTX 970 (Not sure which brand)

Processor: i7-4790k

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16g (not sure on how much I need)

HDD: Segate Baracuda 2T (I'll add an SSD later)

Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1150 GA-H97 (unless there is a better one)

Keyboard: Logitech G510 (The one I have)

Monitor: Not sure. A 23 inch IPS monitor would be ideal, but there are so many out there to choose from. Any suggestions?

PSU: Corsair CX 750 (Not sure if I need more power with this setup)

Case: Probably a HAF XM Midtower case. No need for a full I think.)

Mouse: Already has one

Headset: Already has one

Any changes let me know!

Z87 or Z97 if you want to OC it, also get a CPU cooler.

If you're not into OC, replace the CPU into none K version.

Not sure what video editing software you're going to use but 8Gb for gaming is enough.

As for monitors, try to get 5ms or lower, brands: Asus, BenQ, Dell, LG, Samsung.

For 4K gaming you'll want to SLI that GPU in the future, so keep the PSU since it's probably cheap - with it you could SLI up to 3x 970s.