Gaming Mouse vs Normal Mouse

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StealthKnife
Member since 2008 • 2104 Posts

an old question that has many mixed reviews...

im using a 1000dpi laser mouse that was in a bundle... left and right click and a scroll..

should i upgrade??? other then more buttons, will it feel better?

treekitten88x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 treekitten88x
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Yes. Just do it. Mice like the G9 and SideWinder (for big hands) are such a huge jump from practically all the others (specifically the ones less than 2000DPI) you really can't go wrong... there's an ergonomic improvement in them too. I got my G9 for $35 on sale, brand new... I believe it was $45 on Amazon last week.
StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StealthKnife
Yes. Just do it. Mice like the G9 and SideWinder (for big hands) are such a huge jump from practically all the others (specifically the ones less than 2000DPI) you really can't go wrong... there's an ergonomic improvement in them too. I got my G9 for $35 on sale, brand new... I believe it was $45 on Amazon last week.treekitten88x
its acually 65 - 100$ on amazon.. ikinda high for me... ill keep looking
Patatopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Patatopan
Member since 2008 • 1890 Posts

I don't understand dpi, all it does is just make it more sensitive? I'm using a logitech mx518 and I have it at the lowest dpi settings which works best for me.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Sensitivity is part of it. The main thing about gaming mice is that they usually have on-the-fly DPI switching, and the higher the DPI of the sensor, the greater range you have to work with for your DPI settings. In any case, if you find that you don't have enough buttons, your current mouse is unergonomic, or worst of all, you have negative-acceleration issues (moving the mouse very fast in one direction sometimes causes the cursor to jolt the other way), then it's worth investing in a better mouse. (I currently use a Logitech G5, single-thumb-button model. It does the job, but it's lacking in buttons. I'm considering a Razer Naga to get around that issue, along with having the DPI buttons in a better place.)
marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts

you'r really thinking of the naga ? you'r crazy as i belive namelessplayer :P

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts

marcthpro
Maybe I am crazy. I won't settle for a keyboard without mechanical keyswitches. If I want macro keys, I won't settle for the ones on a keyboard-I'll just get a CH Products Multi-Function Panel and be done with it. I won't settle for a mere joystick-I've got to have the full stick, throttle, and rudder pedals, and quality ones at that. I won't settle for looking around with hat switches, either-TrackIR is a must. Simply put, I'm serious about my input devices and have probably put more money into them combined than most people have spent on their CPU + GPU. Having proper controls is half of the gaming experience, after all.
StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StealthKnife
[QUOTE="marcthpro"]

NamelessPlayer
Maybe I am crazy. I won't settle for a keyboard without mechanical keyswitches. If I want macro keys, I won't settle for the ones on a keyboard-I'll just get a CH Products Multi-Function Panel and be done with it. I won't settle for a mere joystick-I've got to have the full stick, throttle, and rudder pedals, and quality ones at that. I won't settle for looking around with hat switches, either-TrackIR is a must. Simply put, I'm serious about my input devices and have probably put more money into them combined than most people have spent on their CPU + GPU. Having proper controls is half of the gaming experience, after all.

i could tell.. you want the best of the best of the best
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

I'd recommend you get down to your computer store to get a hands-on with the varous mouse shapes available. Weight and shape make a huge difference depending on how you handle the mouse. I wouldn't suggest buying blind as what's right for a person with small hands who likes the sensitivity rolled back and uses their whole arm to play might be awkward for people with bigger hands or twitch reflexes. Once you know what shape of mouse you're comfortable with, you'll have cut out half of the options - I had wanted to go with a Razer mouse until I actually tried one out and realised I wouldn't be able to play more than 10-15 minutes before needing a break

Next, look at the specs on offer. Does it absolutely have to be wireless if that's going to add lag or $80 to the price tag? If you have your monitor set to 1440 x 900, is it worth buying a 3000dpi mouse if you're not a twitch gamer? Also look at extra features: If you are a twitch gamer, does the mouse offer rapid resolution switching so that you can still navigate Windows comfortably when you exit games? Do you need 12 buttons or is a 5 button or 3 button mouse sufficient? Maybe one option comes with a free game which you'd drop from wireless to wired for.

Finally, check your favourite website for models you'd never heard of and find some reviews. In the end, I saved myself the equivalent of $70 when I realised that the mouse below - the Trust MI-6970C - had everything I was looking for without the latency problems of the $100 equivalent wireless mice I'd had my heart set on. I used the saving to buy two new games and I don't even notice the mouse's 'tail' because it's long, thin and near enough frictionless to feel non-existent.

In short: don't trust the hype alone - there are more than two companies out there offering top quality products with all the features you'll want, and likely at under half the price.

Trust MI-6970c: 800-1600dpi, 6 buttons, tilt scrolling. Around £20 if you shop around.

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

hey tc definitely get a gaming mouse. when i got one i felt like a gaming god, pulling off headshots etc. i honestly must've got 30% better at shooting, and the movement is so much smoother.

i have a g9 which is awesome, but it was rather expensive, i suggest the OCZ Behemoth. very cheap (20 euroish) and apparently excellent, with all the features of a great gaming mouse.

Jack143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jack143
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
10 Gaming Mice for You - http://www.wiknix.com/2012/08/gaming-mice.html