This topic is locked from further discussion.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JamesJoule
Member since 2012 • 398 Posts

i need a laptop so i'd like to get one that can run demanding games .. i am not buying it solely for gaming cuz i know how terrible laptops for gaming are . but since i am going to buy one anyways i'd like it to run best graphics out there .. like gta 5 for pc / witcher 2 and 3 / crysis and so on my budget is around 1000$ and ofc cheaper is better

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

Best graphics and laptop does not go hand in hand unless you wish to invest over 2k. For 1000 bucks a good price-to-performance ratio is the Lenovo Y510 where you can get decent FPS at medium settings @1080. I personally have that laptop as it required minimal financial "dedication" while giving me a gaming-entry level of performance (a.k.a. low to medium quality at 1080p for newer games with ease). Going up in price is perhaps the MSI gaming laptops, however a crucial flaw in their architecture is the cooling ... GE60 or whatever it was is super slim and although it boasts a good double cooling spread out to cover the GPU and CPU, the temperature is still unbearable after half an hour of gameplay at 1080p, even though it gives out better performance. Mind you though, that both laptops come in different variants depending on the hardware you want to come with it. All in all, there is no such thing as "running best graphics out there" in a laptop at a budget of around 1000 dollars ... heck, even in euro you won't really find much goodies out there in the market.

My personal advice to you is to go on Tom's Hardware forums and ask away there in-depth. You'll be more likely to get satisfying answers and overall information.

P.S. Be careful of the Razer products out there, they also boast performance in slim designs etc. but overall it's just overpriced products, same as Origin and other brands out there that classify themselves as "gaming laptops". TGaming is at home with a lovely PC at your side and pleasant picture on a good monitor in front of you.

spaceninja818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 spaceninja818
Member since 2009 • 425 Posts

A lot of people on this forum don't understand the purpose of mobile computers. They'll simply tell you to build a more powerful desktop for half the price. Its like asking if you should buy a Vita or 3DS and then some "build your own desktop genius" comes and tells you to buy a more powerful 360 or PS3 console which you can find for a cheaper price.

No matter how clearly you state that you need a portable, mobile and meant to move around laptop, you'll still be told to build your own desktop. You're better off asking other forums, as the user above me said. Good luck.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@JamesJoule said:

i need a laptop so i'd like to get one that can run demanding games .. i am not buying it solely for gaming cuz i know how terrible laptops for gaming are . but since i am going to buy one anyways i'd like it to run best graphics out there .. like gta 5 for pc / witcher 2 and 3 / crysis and so on my budget is around 1000$ and ofc cheaper is better

Lenovo Y510P

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I would recommend the MSI GE70 over the Lenovo. They just did a hardware refresh and the current model has a Geforce 860m as opposed to the Y510P's 750/755. I just helped a friend of mine purchase one of these and he's very happy with it. I have a previous gen GS70, which is mostly the same laptop except in a very thin form factor like a Macbook Pro or a Razer Blade Pro. That's a 17" laptop, but there's also a comparable 15" model if that's your preference.

-Byshop

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Just so you know if you get a laptop that can game, the battery will last about an hour, 2 hours tops without being plugged in and it will not really play that well without being plugged in.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@edinsftw said:

Just so you know if you get a laptop that can game, the battery will last about an hour, 2 hours tops without being plugged in and it will not really play that well without being plugged in.

Nobody really games with a laptop on battery power. Most places I've seen laptop gamers hang out are student lounges or establishments which have plenty of electrical outlets. They game on AC power.

That said, most gaming laptops have two video chipsets: a gaming GPU and Intel integrated graphics or its equivalent. In non-gaming use, the laptop defaults to the Intel graphics which saves on battery life. I get 6-7 hours with my 14" ASUS G46VW during non-gaming use on battery power.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

you can get a laptop that can run those games however it wont be ultra high settings with 144fps and 4k with x16 AA on. 1000 bucks can get you a entry level gaming laptop.

Tranula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tranula
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

@JamesJoule:

Who told you they were terrible for gaming? They lied.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

@Tranula said:

@JamesJoule:

They aren't terrible.. but I don't like gaming on a laptop. I do play Torchlight 2 on my laptop which has an integrated gpu and it runs the game fine but my laptop gets real hot and the fan is pretty loud. I only really use my laptop for work and school.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
@CWEBB04z said:

@Tranula said:

@JamesJoule:

They aren't terrible.. but I don't like gaming on a laptop. I do play Torchlight 2 on my laptop which has an integrated gpu and it runs the game fine but my laptop gets real hot and the fan is pretty loud. I only really use my laptop for work and school.

If you're gaming on an integrated GPU then you aren't on a gaming laptop, so of course it'll be a poor experience.

-Byshop

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By alcatraz5953
Member since 2014 • 80 Posts

@Byshop If you're gaming on a laptop you have too much money to waste

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I wouldn't recommend it...

$1000 Laptop:

• i5 4200 2.8GHz
  • 860M 2GB (Desktop equivalent is a GTX 750 Ti)
  • 8GB RAM

$935 Desktop:

• i5 4670K 3.4GHz
  • R9 280X 4GB (Double the performance of a GTX 750Ti)
  • 8GB RAM

You would literally double your gaming performance if you went with a desktop.

The laptop I was looking at is the Lenovo Y50 - LINK.

Here's a partpicker for the desktop - LINK

Now if you are not interested in the slightest in a desktop rest assured that a $1000 laptop will give you a good gaming experience, you are looking at playing demanding games on a medium to high settings and easy to run games on the highest settings but I wound't hold my breath with running GTA5 or The Witcher 3 on anything higher than medium settings with that laptop at 60FPS.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@alcatraz5953: Am I supposed to apologize for being able to afford something nice? I travel for work, so when I'm away from home (which is about four days a week) I play games on my MSI GS70. When I'm home, I play games (mostly) on my actual gaming rig although sometimes I'll use the laptop so I can play something while I'm watching TV with the wife. What exactly is wrong with that?

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@alcatraz5953 said:

@Byshop If you're gaming on a laptop you have too much money to waste

FYI, in the grand scheme of "burns", telling someone they have a lot of money isn't a particularly effective one.

I travel for work, so in addition to having a gaming rig at home I have a laptop that lets me game from hotels as well. Frankly, it's pretty awesome.

-Byshop

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 alcatraz5953

@Byshop: Not asking you to apologize, just stating that in my opinion its a waste of money when you can buy a much better desktop gaming rig for the same price. Was never meant to be a direct stab at you

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

@spaceninja818 said:

A lot of people on this forum don't understand the purpose of mobile computers. They'll simply tell you to build a more powerful desktop for half the price. Its like asking if you should buy a Vita or 3DS and then some "build your own desktop genius" comes and tells you to buy a more powerful 360 or PS3 console which you can find for a cheaper price.

No matter how clearly you state that you need a portable, mobile and meant to move around laptop, you'll still be told to build your own desktop. You're better off asking other forums, as the user above me said. Good luck.

Even most other forums will tell him the same thing. I personally don't think portability is worth the massive premium thats charged. And laptops overheat way too easily.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@alcatraz5953 said:

@Byshop: Not asking you to apologize, just stating that in my opinion its a waste of money when you can buy a much better desktop gaming rig for the same price. Was never meant to be a direct stab at you

That's good, because I wasn't apologizing.

And it's not a waste of money if your situation necessitates it is my point. Calling something a "waste of money" because it doesn't apply to your specific situation then miopic. This is my gaming rig:

As you can see, that does not fit in a suitcase.

Of course a desktop will give you more power for the same amount of money. Believe it or not, pretty much everyone already knows that despite how someone feels compelled to bring it up in literally every single thread that pops up about gaming laptops. It had already been pointed out a couple times in this thread alone before you chimed in.

When someone asks about a gaming laptop, give them the benefit of the doubt that they have already weighed the pros and cons of portability versus price and decided that based on their need a laptop makes the most sense.

-Byshop

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By alcatraz5953

@Byshop said:

@alcatraz5953 said:

And it's not a waste of money if your situation necessitates it is my point. Calling something a "waste of money" because it doesn't apply to your specific situation then miopic. This is my gaming rig:

Of course a desktop will give you more power for the same amount of money. Believe it or not, pretty much everyone already knows that despite how someone feels compelled to bring it up in literally every single thread that pops up about gaming laptops. It had already been pointed out a couple times in this thread alone before you chimed in.

When someone asks about a gaming laptop, give them the benefit of the doubt that they have already weighed the pros and cons of portability versus price and decided that based on their need a laptop makes the most sense.

-Byshop

Congratulations...

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts
@alcatraz5953 said:

@Byshop said:

@alcatraz5953 said:

-Byshop

Congratulations...

He just likes posting his rig and justifying his purchase.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator

@edinsftw: Partially correct, but the cost of the cockpit is about the same as a desk which I was going to replace anyway so it's not like it's some crazy expenditure. Regarding the cost of a gaming laptop, I'm sitting in a hotel room right now about to get in some Divinity Original Sin or The Walking Dead. If I hadn't purchased a gaming laptop, I wouldn't have been able to game all week. That seems like a no-brainer to me, as I travel for work pretty often.

-Byshop

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Most people who choose to game on laptops are probably not after graphics showpieces. Most are happy to simply play the game.

Me? My 14" laptop has a dualcore i5 (with HT) and a GTX 660m ( equivalent to HD 5770) which makes it somewhat low-end. But, its 1366x768 res means the hardware is sufficient enough to run most games at either Medium or High at that res except Watch Dogs which is the first game to hit Low details for me.

Being able to play these is way better than twiddling my thumbs in a hotel room. We have a coast to coast road trip next month. I know I'll be glad to have my laptop with me.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@jun_aka_pekto: Exactly. Although I'm debating an upgrage soon, my current laptop is great. Can I run every new AAA title at 1920x1080p at Ultra settings? No, but then neither can my rather beefy desktop in every case. Dropping the resolution a bit isn't the end of the world when it's on a 17" or smaller display, and most hotel room TVs top out at 720p anyway.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Byshop  Moderator

@conniegarrick said:

What about gaming PC? Don't you think gaming experience is much more better in PC than laptop. I love to play games with my game controller.

Facepalm.

-Byshop

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jun_aka_pekto

@conniegarrick said:

What about gaming PC? Don't you think gaming experience is much more better in PC than laptop. I love to play games with my game controller.

Of course it is much better with a desktop PC. That's why I have a gaming desktop PC. But, we can't always take our desktop PC with us on trips or times when we're away from home. Hence the need for a laptop with a gaming GPU.