gaming keyboards and macros

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ktwq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ktwq
Member since 2003 • 1199 Posts

Hey all,

My keyboard is starting to get squeaky and I feel that it's time to get a new one. I've been looking around at gaming keyboards and most of them have extra buttons for macros. I would like to ask:How are macros useful? For example, the controls in games like Call of Duty are pretty simple and don't require multiple button presses. So how are macros useful here? Are macros useful outside of gaming too?

Also, can anyone recommend me a decent gaming keyboard? I've tried my friend's Razer Arctosa and felt that it was too thin and the buttons didn't have 'depth' (I'm currently using a regular Dell keyboard that has served me pretty well)

Thanks

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
How are macros useful? For example, the controls in games like Call of Duty are pretty simple and don't require multiple button presses. So how are macros useful here? Are macros useful outside of gaming too?ktwq
Macros would be usefull for lots of games, especially RTS and RPG games. Also, macros can be used to create shortcuts for all sorts of tasks in Windows. I may get a gaming keyboard now that I know they have macro buttons, lol.. [QUOTE="ktwq"]Also, can anyone recommend me a decent gaming keyboard? I've tried my friend's Razer Arctosa and felt that it was too thin and the buttons didn't have 'depth' (I'm currently using a regular Dell keyboard that has served me pretty well) Thanks

I like deeper buttons too. I just moved from a huge, ergonomically curved Microsoft mostrosity to a tiny laptop keyboard. I keep bumping buttons next to other buttons, since I'm so used to the offset curve design of the Microsoft keyboard. So in other words, I would also like some suggestions for a gaming keyboard with macro buttons and deeper buttons too please :)
ch5richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ch5richards
Member since 2005 • 2912 Posts

I use the macros on my keyboard for everything but gaming. I have some set to open certain programs, and others set to type my email address and some of my more common passwords with one key press.

I set a few up to do cheats in certain games my nephew likes to play when he comes over.

I did not buy my keyboard for the macros, but I will not just let them sit there and not be used.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="ktwq"]How are macros useful? For example, the controls in games like Call of Duty are pretty simple and don't require multiple button presses. So how are macros useful here? Are macros useful outside of gaming too?-GeordiLaForge-
Macros would be usefull for lots of games, especially RTS and RPG games. Also, macros can be used to create shortcuts for all sorts of tasks in Windows. I may get a gaming keyboard now that I know they have macro buttons, lol..
Also, can anyone recommend me a decent gaming keyboard? I've tried my friend's Razer Arctosa and felt that it was too thin and the buttons didn't have 'depth' (I'm currently using a regular Dell keyboard that has served me pretty well) Thanksktwq
I like deeper buttons too. I just moved from a huge, ergonomically curved Microsoft mostrosity to a tiny laptop keyboard. I keep bumping buttons next to other buttons, since I'm so used to the offset curve design of the Microsoft keyboard. So in other words, I would also like some suggestions for a gaming keyboard with macro buttons and deeper buttons too please :)

logitech g15 or g105. i use a g15. lcd display, macro's (6 buttons) and its backlit. keys are fairly deep sitting.

SgtScorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SgtScorpion
Member since 2005 • 494 Posts

also reconmend the g15, i have the original one that has 18 macro keys but 3 different profiles for them so in total thats 54 keys to have, i dont use them because im not a serious gamer in rts and such, keys are deep, lcd display is pretty cool for games it supports and the lighting is awesome

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

another recommendation for the G15, been using my first generation G15 for maybe 6 years and it's still doing fine, though I'm getting tempted to upgrade to a G19, just a little too pricey though

Macro buttons are great for MMO's like WoW, not sure how much use they are for FPS games, though i do still have the macro list for squad chat in Day of Defeat, especially handy for when my MG42 is running low on ammo ;)