This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_Reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cloud_Reaper
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts
To all you FPS fan boys ya I guess you could say gaming is alive. In fact you could say it is bursting with life rather than previous years. But I blame bungie for everything and anything. The day Halo was released, was the era that FPS (more so shooters in general) will flourish and JRPG fans will be forgotten. It is sad that the only taste that we RPG fans get are Action RPG's such as Diablo 3, folklore and whatever else that developers decide to through our way. Don't call me an idiot for saying that there are more titles than FPS in the market, because look at what is coming out and what has already come out. Fall out, gears, halo 3, far cry, mass effect (you are joking me if you call this an RPG, its a third person shooter since the casting in the game was so abyzmal that it is practically unusable), dead space, bioshock, and the list contains many more that I dare not even pull up. RPGs are dead and for the most part the only thing we get out of it are action RPGS and MMo's. Gaming is dead and there is nothing that will bring it back from beyond the grave.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Is this a viral marketing campaign for Left 4 Dead?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

No, it's dead since 98', hell the internet is dead,we are communicating telepathically now.:roll:

We all know, that most games released every year are FPS, but that doesn't mean RPG games are not released :| and yes Mass Effect is an RPG, an Action RPG if you want. GoW is a TPS.

I'm eagerly waiting for the next gaming is dead discovery, that will probably be tomorrow, or the day after:roll:.

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts
I regret clicking on this topic
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

To all you FPS fan boys ya I guess you could say gaming is alive. In fact you could say it is bursting with life rather than previous years. But I blame bungie for everything and anything. The day Halo was released, was the era that FPS (more so shooters in general) will flourish and JRPG fans will be forgotten. It is sad that the only taste that we RPG fans get are Action RPG's such as Diablo 3, folklore and whatever else that developers decide to through our way. Don't call me an idiot for saying that there are more titles than FPS in the market, because look at what is coming out and what has already come out. Fall out, gears, halo 3, far cry, mass effect (you are joking me if you call this an RPG, its a third person shooter since the casting in the game was so abyzmal that it is practically unusable), dead space, bioshock, and the list contains many more that I dare not even pull up. RPGs are dead and for the most part the only thing we get out of it are action RPGS and MMo's. Gaming is dead and there is nothing that will bring it back from beyond the grave.Cloud_Reaper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QBe43tyVM&feature=channel

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts
You realize that just because a genre you like isn't as strong as before, it doesn't mean gaming is dead, infact, gaming is the biggest it's ever been. Period. Dare I pronounce this as an epic fail?
Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

[QUOTE="Cloud_Reaper"]To all you FPS fan boys ya I guess you could say gaming is alive. In fact you could say it is bursting with life rather than previous years. But I blame bungie for everything and anything. The day Halo was released, was the era that FPS (more so shooters in general) will flourish and JRPG fans will be forgotten. It is sad that the only taste that we RPG fans get are Action RPG's such as Diablo 3, folklore and whatever else that developers decide to through our way. Don't call me an idiot for saying that there are more titles than FPS in the market, because look at what is coming out and what has already come out. Fall out, gears, halo 3, far cry, mass effect (you are joking me if you call this an RPG, its a third person shooter since the casting in the game was so abyzmal that it is practically unusable), dead space, bioshock, and the list contains many more that I dare not even pull up. RPGs are dead and for the most part the only thing we get out of it are action RPGS and MMo's. Gaming is dead and there is nothing that will bring it back from beyond the grave.OoSuperMarioO

lol thanks for that,these forums needed a bit of livining? up

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Astaroth2k
Sorry i couldnt ignore this....do your remember the 90's? that decade was absolute brilliance compared to todays cookie cutter nonsense,atleast developers took risks and delivered..
DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts

Sorry i couldnt ignore this....do your remember the 90's? that decade was absolute brilliance compared to todays cookie cutter nonsense,atleast developers took risks and delivered..Astaroth2k

As far as I'm concerned, gaming didn't begin until 2001 when Deus Ex came out :D

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Astaroth2k
boo! what nonsense! but deus ex was a very good game i agree...but still 90's were the best time for gaming imo....
Valkyrie_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#12 Valkyrie_44
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts

Could someone please direct Cloud Reaper to the nearest airlock please?

zcake22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zcake22
Member since 2005 • 125 Posts
What a new and original idea for a thread. :roll:
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts
JRPGs are dead. Not becaus there's too many FPS. But because the genre has been recycled since FF7. I think the last half decent JRPG I played was FF Tactics on the PS1. SMT was alright on the ps2, but still the combat is exactly the same boring turn based crap.
Anthrax88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Anthrax88
Member since 2003 • 147 Posts
Actually it's rare with really awesome games these days.
It's mostly a graphic fest. I would like more games with deeper stories.

There are a lot of good and great games coming out today. But 95% is just junk.

I'd say that WoW ruined gaming more or less. The beginning of the MMORPG era with wow on front ruined a lot.
So many people put most of their time in these games, making the rest of the industry suffer.

Although there are times of MMORPG that is awesome as well. PRE-CU SWG role-playing.
And actually some WoW Role-playing before was okay. But the role-playing in MMORPG is dying. Along with the spirit of the gamers.
Slowly being sucked into the state of mind of a drug addict, just pushing money into their MMORPG's just to gain one more level or get one more item.
fetelth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fetelth
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts

[QUOTE="Cloud_Reaper"]To all you FPS fan boys ya I guess you could say gaming is alive. In fact you could say it is bursting with life rather than previous years. But I blame bungie for everything and anything. The day Halo was released, was the era that FPS (more so shooters in general) will flourish and JRPG fans will be forgotten. It is sad that the only taste that we RPG fans get are Action RPG's such as Diablo 3, folklore and whatever else that developers decide to through our way. Don't call me an idiot for saying that there are more titles than FPS in the market, because look at what is coming out and what has already come out. Fall out, gears, halo 3, far cry, mass effect (you are joking me if you call this an RPG, its a third person shooter since the casting in the game was so abyzmal that it is practically unusable), dead space, bioshock, and the list contains many more that I dare not even pull up. RPGs are dead and for the most part the only thing we get out of it are action RPGS and MMo's. Gaming is dead and there is nothing that will bring it back from beyond the grave.OoSuperMarioO

rofl, especially at how he kept pushing people, and the attempt assasination.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Sorry i couldnt ignore this....do your remember the 90's? that decade was absolute brilliance compared to todays cookie cutter nonsense,atleast developers took risks and delivered..Astaroth2k

I'd say that WoW ruined gaming more or less. The beginning of the MMORPG era with wow on front ruined a lot.
So many people put most of their time in these games, making the rest of the industry suffer.

Although there are times of MMORPG that is awesome as well. PRE-CU SWG role-playing.
And actually some WoW Role-playing before was okay. But the role-playing in MMORPG is dying. Along with the spirit of the gamers.
Slowly being sucked into the state of mind of a drug addict, just pushing money into their MMORPG's just to gain one more level or get one more item.
Anthrax88

I agree 100%.

Cloud_Reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cloud_Reaper
srry i did this topic out of frustration out the lack of games that I really want to play but more so what gaming has developed into
Cloud_Reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cloud_Reaper
dare I declare you an epic fail? once again you fit into those FPS fanboys. I know that my games that I love to play are dead but the fact that every game that comes out now is a FPS is saying alot about the market that evidently you are keeping alive. I think every developer is just jumping onto the band wagon of FPS knob gobblers and they don't think outside of the box like they use to. Keep being the cow that developers are milking man because once all of you are obliterated then FPS will reign until Bungie makes an RPG that everyone loves and then SOMEHOW they will be brought back.
fetelth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fetelth
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts
Bungie has nothing to do with this, and you didn't even mention The Witcher
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts

I hope you choke on some cauliflower you dirty STI infested little troll.

Thankyou

Astaroth2k

:lol: i imagined you being so relaxed and calm saying that

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#22 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Damn so one already beat me to it. Two Words: The Witcher.

I don't know what your problem with Mass Effect is. Its most certainly an RPG.

Say, I have a ball. Perhaps you would like to bounce it?

Ohhh, hehe! Got away from yah did it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

low on rpg's? you got to be kidding, sure theyre not as normal as FPS games, but I find them comming out pretty often.

On the JRPG front the Japanese developers have often been quoted for thier agreement that Japanese game development is stagnent, not dead tho...

if you got an xbox360 it seems your in luck tho with the JRPG's

and as stated before, The Witcher, the two words you will learn to love, since it was about the best game I playied in oh... 3 years?

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

Just some RPG's on my tracking list

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

Dragon Age: Origins

Fallout 3

Arcania: A Gothic Tale

Elveon

Gothic 3 - Forsaken Gods

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts
Why is this in PC games? JRPGs were never big on PC as far as I remember...
Cloud_Reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cloud_Reaper

You have got to be **** me if you think Mass effect is an RPG. It is a third person shooter with RPG elements. The casting in that game was soo **** poorly programmed that you had to pause the game every second just to cast a spell. Obviously bio ware has never heard of hot keys. Oh well.

biggest_loser
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

You have got to be **** me if you think Mass effect is an RPG. It is a third person shooter with RPG elements. The casting in that game was soo **** poorly programmed that you had to pause the game every second just to cast a spell. Obviously bio ware has never heard of hot keys. Oh well.

Cloud_Reaper

It seems that on one hand your mad because developers dosent try new thing and just do the same thing over and over, on the other hand your mad at Mass Effect for trying a diffrent control system?

retro82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 retro82
Member since 2007 • 660 Posts

Any adventure games like Grim Fandango, The Curse of Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Gabriel Knight, The Neverhood or Sanitarium?

Any RPGs like Diablo, Daggerfall, BG 2, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Might & Magic VI, Nox, Fallout 1&2?

Any strategy games like AoE II, Red Alert, Dark Reign, Total Annihilation, Commandos 2, HoMM III, Worms Armageddon?

Any action games like Blood, Doom, Duke Nuke'm, Quake II, Call of Duty, Max Payne 2?

Any innovative games like Carmageddon, Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper, GTA, Lemmings, Tetris?

Any solid sports games anymore?

Any solid platform games anymore?

PC gaming is bleeding, that's for sure (except for FPS, RTS and WOW lovers). That's my opinion.

retro82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 retro82
The games I look forward to playing are limited to GTA IV, Diablo III and Dragon Age Origins.
-Master_St3ve-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Master_St3ve-
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts
Where are the "deep" games?
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

Any adventure games like Grim Fandango, The Curse of Monkey Island, The Neverhood or Sanitarium?

Haven't been a lot of good adventure games since the glory days of Sierra and Lucas Art. However latetly there seems to have been something of an influx. Check out Sam and Max Season 1 and 2

Any RPGs like Diablo, Daggerfall, BG 2, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Might & Magic VI, Nox, Fallout 1&2?

Seeing tons of RPG's coming out over the last couple of years. KotOR 1 and 2, Mass effect, Oblivion, Witcher, NWN2, Titan quest and of course a TON of MMO RPGs

Any strategy games like AoE II, Red Alert, Dark Reign, Total Annihilation, Commandos 2, HoMM III, Worms Armageddon?

CoH, Dawn of War, Total War Medieval 2, Supreme Commander, Sins of a Solar Empire, Kings Bounty and World in Conflict.

Any action games like Blood, Doom, Duke Nuke'm, Quake II, Call of Duty, Max Payne 2?

CoD4, Crysis, STALKER, STALKER CS, Far Cry 2, Bioshock

Any innovative games like Carmageddon, GTA, Lemmings, Tetris?

Heh, here the 90ies can't even begin to compete in part due to the recent growth in indie gaming. Portal, World of Goo, Puzzle quest, Spore.

Dunno, don't really play sports games, but it's not like the PC ever had a lot of good sports games. What great sports games do your remember from the 90ies?

That probably one genre that has moved even more towards the consoles. The PC was never really had that many great platformers.

PC gaming is bleeding, that's for sure (except for FPS, RTS and WOW lovers). That's my opinion.

I disagree, I'm seeing as many good games coming out the past couple of years as any other point in PC gaming history. I think it's simply that most of us have a lot of fond memories of the old games, but I think when you look at it we're about as well of as we've ever been.

retro82
nick1689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nick1689
Member since 2004 • 156 Posts

Im confused, is the OP saying that gaming is dead (LOL), or that he doesnt like FPS games?

And Mazoch, your post annihilated retro! And I agree with what you said at the end, in every way.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I lost you at "Folklore." Of all RPGs to mention, you had to pick that. :P jk jk.

There are plenty of RPGs, western or japanese. I dont think you looked hard enough.

regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

1. TESIV is not a shooter because you don't shoot anything except arrows from a bow for example. It's just first-person perspective role-playing game with a lot of emphasis on action. That's what developers tried to do and they did it well.

2. If Bethesda was located in Japan, Oblivion would still be called a JRPG, even though it's from a FP perspective. The letter "J" in front of the "RPG" means the country of origin, like "PRPG" is Polish Role-Playing Game and GRPG is German Role-Playing Game.

3. The fall of JRPGs in general coincides with the evolution of graphics that erased the visual difference between Western and Oriental games. They're practically there, it's just that you don't notice them. Maybe you should check the handhelds... Also, japanese are not as original as you may think. Sure, they got away in the past because the oriental element (kawaii/anime graphics as well) was so fresh and original for the Occidental Culture, but how about now when the Reader's Choice Top 100 Games of All Time is 90 %-filled with japanese average games. Don't believe me, ask the japanese about their own games, they'll tell you how "original" and "innovative" they really are.:D Ask the hardcore, not the casual.

If in the past it was like:

-Hey, did you see that new game about killing zombies, demons and saving the princess made in...

-Meh...the usual crap!

-...Japan

-Best Game Ever!

Now it's like:

-Hey did you see that new game about a super weapon that can be controlled only by certain people and can destroy entire worlds from...

-Cool!

-Square Enix

-Meh...Another average game!

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

dare I declare you an epic fail? once again you fit into those FPS fanboys. I know that my games that I love to play are dead but the fact that every game that comes out now is a FPS is saying alot about the market that evidently you are keeping alive. I think every developer is just jumping onto the band wagon of FPS knob gobblers and they don't think outside of the box like they use to. Keep being the cow that developers are milking man because once all of you are obliterated then FPS will reign until Bungie makes an RPG that everyone loves and then SOMEHOW they will be brought back.Cloud_Reaper

Nothing but FPSs? Most of my collection (Over 150 PC games) is based around RTSs, Flight Simulators, RPGs, and TBSs. I have very few FPSs and guess what? The next couple of games on my list to get are not FPSs. So how about stop whining that your favorite genre has hit the bricks and stop generalizing?

retro82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 retro82
[QUOTE="retro82"]

Any adventure games like Grim Fandango, The Curse of Monkey Island, The Neverhood or Sanitarium?

Haven't been a lot of good adventure games since the glory days of Sierra and Lucas Art. However latetly there seems to have been something of an influx. Check out Sam and Max Season 1 and 2

Seeing tons of RPG's coming out over the last couple of years. KotOR 1 and 2, Mass effect, Oblivion, Witcher, NWN2, Titan quest and of course a TON of MMO RPGs

CoH, Dawn of War, Total War Medieval 2, Supreme Commander, Sins of a Solar Empire, Kings Bounty and World in Conflict.

CoD4, Crysis, STALKER, STALKER CS, Far Cry 2, Bioshock

Any innovative games like Carmageddon, GTA, Lemmings, Tetris?

Heh, here the 90ies can't even begin to compete in part due to the recent growth in indie gaming. Portal, World of Goo, Puzzle quest, Spore.

Dunno, don't really play sports games, but it's not like the PC ever had a lot of good sports games. What great sports games do your remember from the 90ies?

That probably one genre that has moved even more towards the consoles. The PC was never really had that many great platformers.

I disagree, I'm seeing as many good games coming out the past couple of years as any other point in PC gaming history. I think it's simply that most of us have a lot of fond memories of the old games, but I think when you look at it we're about as well of as we've ever been.

Mazoch

Yeah, yeah. I guess I am lost in my good memories from the end of 90's and dont enjoy gaming as I used to do before. I am 26 and afraid of getting old.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

retro82

generally I agree, though PC gaming is half-dead, not completely. am having bless playing King's Bounty: Legend now, the kind of game only possible on PC.

however, as we've seen the responeses in this thread, we're heretics. we're talking about PC gaming, not gaming in general. the quality of PC games has been decreased drastically in general; quality games are once in a while, far and in-between. RTS is going strong since it's the kind of genre that's quite difficult to make multi-platform.

Lidve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lidve
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

To all you FPS fan boys ya I guess you could say gaming is alive. In fact you could say it is bursting with life rather than previous years. But I blame bungie for everything and anything. The day Halo was released, was the era that FPS (more so shooters in general) will flourish and JRPG fans will be forgotten. It is sad that the only taste that we RPG fans get are Action RPG's such as Diablo 3, folklore and whatever else that developers decide to through our way. Don't call me an idiot for saying that there are more titles than FPS in the market, because look at what is coming out and what has already come out. Fall out, gears, halo 3, far cry, mass effect (you are joking me if you call this an RPG, its a third person shooter since the casting in the game was so abyzmal that it is practically unusable), dead space, bioshock, and the list contains many more that I dare not even pull up. RPGs are dead and for the most part the only thing we get out of it are action RPGS and MMo's. Gaming is dead and there is nothing that will bring it back from beyond the grave.Cloud_Reaper

Lol?

You need to learn what RPG stands for,because JRPG is far from ROLE PLAYING

Its mostly just action-adventure game with some inventory and magic

TRUE RPG = baldurs gate,planescape torment etc.

And not gaming is not dead.

AND HALO DID NOT do anything "revolutionary",on consoles - YES but on PC we had fps bether than that for soo long its not even funny

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

Ya know what. I just spent 20min Trying to right a freaking Essay on how you could have been more wrong and how RPG sales have been TERRIBLE FOR ALL TIME But I couldn't find a way to be nice and do it at the same time without getting a moderation warning.

If you actually looked at sales numbers for RPG's & JRPG's, You would realise NO ONE CARES unless it has a "Final Fantasy" or "Bioware" Tag on it. and sells no copies.

This has been changing a lot lately with how KoToR changed a LOT of casual gamers minds in the last few years, but Bioware can only dish out a game every few years. that doesn;t help the genre when no one could care less about other developers.

Please get your facts straight before posting. and Halo did not start the FPS Craze. Quake Did.

promajo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 promajo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts
I regret clicking on this topicFandangle

me2, a waste of my time
Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts

[QUOTE="Fandangle"]I regret clicking on this topicpromajo

me2, a waste of my time

im with you 2...

Valkyrie_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#42 Valkyrie_44
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts

Please get your facts straight before posting. and Halo did not start the FPS Craze. Quake Did.

Zemus

I thought that was Doom, I played Doom far more than Quake and by far much longer.

ElectronicPest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 ElectronicPest
Member since 2004 • 36 Posts

Quake just made it even more popular than DOOM did.

All Halo did was give a large number of console gamers small-minded biased disease.

And to the starter of this thread, IMO most JRPG's suck these days, like someone already said they're mostly rip-offs of FF7.

No gaming isn't dead, its just ruled by corporate release date rushers.

xexis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xexis
Member since 2003 • 328 Posts

Anthrax88

You watched Dr. Phill right?

Oh yeah you did XD

Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts
well I am not a fan of shooters really, but there are still good games, Diablo III, Final Fantasy Series, Splinter Cell, some good platformers like Ratchet and Clank, goofy games like Spore, RTS games like Age of Empires, and of course Sports games, the best genre, have alot of playability, multiple modes, good multiplayer, and you never have to wait for a new one to be released.
bhc508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bhc508
Member since 2008 • 54 Posts
everything is dead
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points