Gamespot know _nothing_ about roleplaying games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts

Take Oblivion for example. 9.3 editors choice at Gamespot; If your an RPG fan then don't miss out on this overrated excuse for an offline mmorpg.

So where to begin? Bethesda replaced relationship development with a minigame. Not that I particularly want to interact with Tamriel's unmemorable NPC's because they are in fact void of personality. The fact that the personality skill only determins how good you are at the stupid minigame is testament to how poor of a roleplaying game Oblivion really is. Is Roleplaying even possible in Oblivion?

Now take Vampire the Masquerade. While it was released with bugs, there was at least a good roleplaying game to back it up. Trokia decided to add some interesting features, such as relationships established through dialogue and personality. Consiquences for the actions of your avatar. Memorable NPC's that nobody can forget. Some choice in regards to how you would like to define your character within the game world. These basic roleplaying components while not exactly radical, are somewhat important in a roleplaying game, don't you think?

Besides KotOR, Vampire the Masquerade is probably one of the best examples of a post-Black Isle era roleplaying game. Gamespot's opinion? 7.7. What the hell do Gamespot know about roleplaying games?

edit: I hope I don't receive a moderation for being critical of gamespot. This post is well within the TOS.

Voodoo2k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Voodoo2k3
Member since 2003 • 5630 Posts

Well, pretty much every other critic from most other magazines and sites have given Vampire scores in the 7s and Oblivion scores in the 9's so I guess everyone is crazy!!!

That, or your picking on Gamespot and it's you that is crazy!

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Gamespot? It isn't as if Gamespot was the only site that gave the last Elder Scrolls game more praise than Vampire Masquerade.
SLandeRR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SLandeRR
Member since 2007 • 301 Posts
How can you have an offline mmorpg? Any way, its a good game for what it is, which is not a hardcore rpg.
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lilac_Benjie

Maybe the problem is that games which aren't roleplaying games, are described as being roleplaying games. There is no RP in Oblivion. It is as much of an RPG as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

There should be a new word to describe the genre's of Diablo, Elder Scrolls, and the rest of those rpg's void of roleplaying. 

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Oblivion kept my attention for the Install time + uninstall time.
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts
With first post, the rating is based on the game as opposed to the genre. Vampires is much better rpg expierience, however as a game it was released very buggy, with a poor combat system (guns become useless, melee is usually really awkward). As for your second post I totally agree, comparing diablo and Elder Scrolls 3 as rpgs is just plain stupid. They are entirely different games (i used Morrowind since it's much deeper than Oblivion) 
Avatar image for platinumxofhell
platinumxofhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 platinumxofhell
Member since 2004 • 252 Posts
Oblivion was very bland....Now, Bloodlines has amazing replay and strong character development.
Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts
i actually though Oblivion was good. Although I have never played the pc version
Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts
Oblvion was also meant to appeal to non-rpg players.
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lilac_Benjie

Oblvion was also meant to appeal to non-rpg players.instantdeath999

and it did a good job, because Gamespot loved it!

namuseta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 namuseta
Member since 2005 • 321 Posts
Well the real problem isent the over all score its the rating system Gameplay Graphics Sound Value Tilt this gives too mutch weigh to non essential things like graphics and sound in the over all score for exsample some would create the one of the best games ever but it would have only medicore sound and graphics Gameplay 10 Graphics 7 Sound 7 Value 10 Tilt 10 would have only 8.8 over all score :) with this kind of rating system it really pays off to make graphics,sounds and game play work and leave to stuff what makes games really good to some one else
namuseta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 namuseta
Member since 2005 • 321 Posts
PS. Oblivion Value 10 Tilt 9 w000t ? more like value 7 tilt 5 boring story and added nothing new to the gendre if you dont count good graphics
bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts

Bloodlines have a horrible horrible battle system. That was my main problem with the game.

Haven't played Oblivion but heard it was non hardcore rpg fans. I found Morrowind boring...since I was just walking and walking, and the world felt empty. But I also am not a fan of FP View when it comes to rpgs. So I may or may not like Oblivion.

At the moment though, just started playing Baldur's Gate 2 for the first time...and am really enjoying it. I love the top down view and having multiple party members. Next up is Icewind Dale 2 since I like the battle system. 

HondaSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HondaSnake
Member since 2007 • 502 Posts

Although i'm a pretty big fan of the Elder Scrolls series, i'd have to agree, after finishing all the game had to offer (and heavily modding it) I did find that it lacked rpg elements found in other games. (ex. Unique character personalities, intriguing story)
The game seemed a lot more geared towards action than roleplaying, which can be good or bad depending on how someone looks at it. I saw it as a great thing, as I enjoyed the combat, storyline and the games environment very much.

I do agree with Gamespots rating of Oblivion on the PC, but as far as Gamespot knowing "nothing" about Roleplaying games, I personally don't think that they rated the game specifically as a RPG.(Even if the Elder Scrolls games are traditionally put in the Role Playing Genre.) The way I would define the game is, a Action-oriented game with features mostly based off roleplaying elements. Such as Character Developement.

PlayedThemAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 PlayedThemAll
Member since 2006 • 665 Posts

I'd have to agree to a certain extent, but I view things in a much more simple manner. Gamespot knows nothing about RPGS, and so does everyone else. I believe this because I have this idea that people hold a little to closley to their own opinons. Fact is, no one really cares what another person thinks unless they agree with one another.  I've been spreading this idea around as much as possible, recently. But don't be deceived this itself is just another opinon and really means nothing.

Enjoy what you enjoy, and just don't bother with the rest. Don't worry what someone else thinks. 

Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Trashface
Member since 2006 • 3534 Posts

I'd have to agree to a certain extent, but I view things in a much more simple manner. Gamespot knows nothing about RPGS, and so does everyone else. I believe this because I have this idea that people hold a little to closley to their own opinons. Fact is, no one really cares what another person thinks unless they agree with one another.  I've been spreading this idea around as much as possible, recently. But don't be deceived this itself is just another opinon and really means nothing.

Enjoy what you enjoy, and just don't bother with the rest. Don't worry what someone else thinks. 

PlayedThemAll
Oblivion is overrated, but it's not the failure many make it out to be. It's faults are enemy scaling and the personality minigame. It also holds your hand too much and you can't lay items wherever you want. It's decently bland.
mrhoohex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrhoohex
Member since 2003 • 212 Posts
oblivion is a good game, regardless of the unapplealing npc's.i would give it a 9. not every game needs online play bloodlines has been patched like a mofo, if it were to come out now im sure it would get a 9, as we both know its awsome.
wurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 wurn
Member since 2004 • 2258 Posts

BUGS - and that is why Oblivion will score better! Gothic3 looks like it can be a very good game same as Vampires game but unfortunately BUGS are far worst a killer than crappy NPC.

Seriously if you play Gothic 3 in the begginning you wait 85% of the time for the loader screen and the rest is divided between starting up the game and actually playing it.

Hero6_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hero6_basic
Member since 2002 • 1536 Posts
[QUOTE="namuseta"]Well the real problem isent the over all score its the rating system Gameplay Graphics Sound Value Tilt this gives too mutch weigh to non essential things like graphics and sound in the over all score for exsample some would create the one of the best games ever but it would have only medicore sound and graphics Gameplay 10 Graphics 7 Sound 7 Value 10 Tilt 10 would have only 8.8 over all score :) with this kind of rating system it really pays off to make graphics,sounds and game play work and leave to stuff what makes games really good to some one else

So true maybe its time to weigh games a little differently, why did the 2d adventure have to die off, like we can still do some awesome things with 2d that would still be very very fun
Letesmetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Letesmetty
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
Yea, you're right. Game reviewers are a little bit too mainstream. They *ONLY* care about polish. It can be innovative, or even the best game ever - and it's going to get rated down for a few bugs that will be fixed with a patch during the following week. Oblivion is trash and everyone knows it.
diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts

Gamespot's opinion? 7.7. What the hell do Gamespot know about roleplaying games?

Lilac_Benjie

They know enough to downgrade a games score for being almost completely unplayable.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not the biggest Oblivion fan in the world, not in the least. But i do recognise that Gamespot take technical ability and other factors into play, factors that while not directly a part of the game, greatly effect it's enjoyability. Such as crash bugs and stability problems, something which VTM:Bloodlines had WAY too many of. It also lacked a lot of basic options at the time, such as even a resolution above 1024x768, which while was acceptable then, is unthinkable now.

Yes, VTM:Bloodlines is a fantastic game, and one of my favorites, it remains to this day, almost completely unplayable in some areas, a bug ridden.

That is the same reason S.T.A.L.K.E.R didn't score higher. Were either game bgu free, they would've been given much higher scores.

Regardless, your looking at things from the wrong angle. 7.7 is not an opinion, it's a meaningless number, READ the review instead and you'll find that they had very positive things to say about the game.

Your question to us: What does Gamespot know about RPGs?

My question to you: What do YOU know about the way games are reviewed?

themeteor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 themeteor
Member since 2005 • 648 Posts

It does not matter what genre a game is but how much fun you have when playing, and buggy games destroys atmosphere- important if you want to role play.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
Only Guildwars and something like Neverwinternights worth my time.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
I think GS rates a little too much on first impressions, and doesn't take the long term into account. With a game like Oblivion, sure first impression is going to be great, it's not untill you actually get into the game you realize what a turd it is.
ImDrFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 ImDrFreak
Member since 2002 • 1492 Posts

Take Oblivion for example. 9.3 editors choice at Gamespot; If your an RPG fan then don't miss out on this overrated excuse for an offline mmorpg.

So where to begin? Bethesda replaced relationship development with a minigame. Not that I particularly want to interact with Tamriel's unmemorable NPC's because they are in fact void of personality. The fact that the personality skill only determins how good you are at the stupid minigame is testament to how poor of a roleplaying game Oblivion really is. Is Roleplaying even possible in Oblivion?

Now take Vampire the Masquerade. While it was released with bugs, there was at least a good roleplaying game to back it up. Trokia decided to add some interesting features, such as relationships established through dialogue and personality. Consiquences for the actions of your avatar. Memorable NPC's that nobody can forget. Some choice in regards to how you would like to define your character within the game world. These basic roleplaying components while not exactly radical, are somewhat important in a roleplaying game, don't you think?

Besides KotOR, Vampire the Masquerade is probably one of the best examples of a post-Black Isle era roleplaying game. Gamespot's opinion? 7.7. What the hell do Gamespot know about roleplaying games?

edit: I hope I don't receive a moderation for being critical of gamespot. This post is well within the TOS.

Lilac_Benjie
Yes. We know that you don't like Oblivion. We know it's terrible for you that so many people like the game and that it got universally great reviews. It's just so unfair that lots of people like a game that you don't. We feel for you. Really.
acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 acidBURN1942
Member since 2002 • 4816 Posts
YAWN! Its just a different style of RPG it takes Role-Playing more seriously instead of Story and character interaction. They want you to make your own great epic story than them handing it to you. Which I disagree with and I agree with you, the NPCs, and story need lots of refining and needs to be more...classic rpg with all their western ideas.
krimzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 krimzen
Member since 2002 • 1198 Posts
Lilac_Benjie I see your point and it's a complaint voiced by the Fallout 3 community since Bethesda is developing that game and I also see their point, but you can't possibly expect a game with major technical problems to beat out a great action/adventure/rpglight game like Oblivion. It seems like anytime a game with rpg elements gets a good review and *gasp* is called an rpg and strays from 1980 table top conventions the community has a hissy fit. Get over it, enjoy your vampire game and anything else that suits your fancy and forget about review scores because it has nothing to do with your personal enjoyment. Also you call out gamespot specifically and while I think criticism is necessary you may want to go to metacritic and gamerankings to see what a good majority of the industry and what users think about the game. Metacritic - Critic Ratings: 80 User Ratings: 84 Gamerankings - Critic Ratings: 76 ---------------------- Gamespot - 7.7 Gamespot Users - 8.4 Now all that being said you may want to try 1up.com where they average the reviewer score with user scores which makes a lot more sense to me. 1up Editor score - 76 1up Users - 84 -------------------- 1up Average = 80 Makes more sense to me :D
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

oblivion is - literally - the worst roleplaying game i've ever played... but it's one of the best experiences i've ever had

the character development, combat and magic system and item selection and styles are all utterly awful, about as bad as is possible - the quests are nothing more than go here do this with generic characters and generic voicesets (there was, what? 6 different voices per sex besides the spattering of major characters? and there was literally no roleplaying at all

but the game was astoundingly beautiful, it was amazing to just walk around and experience the world - just to see the sights, almost like taking a holiday to some beautiful and distant land, and while i hate it as a roleplaying game, i loved it as a game - and spent over 100 hours playing - i simply don't consider it a roleplaying game

but the problem is, roleplaying doesn't mean role playing when it comes to computer games, it means, your character gets more powerful, you do quests and you get items - that's all roleplaying is, when it comes to computer games - and oblivion falls within those criteria

bloodlines is - literally - the best roleplaying game i've ever played... and it is a true roleplaying game, i think it's the closest to a compute rgame representation of a p&p game i've ever played - everything deferred to the roleplaying, the character development was pretty shallow (but worked great) and the combat was simple click fest (but still fairly satisfying, and a billion times better than oblivion's)

but the game was astoundingly buggy and rushed, and while it runs sound as a pound with the 1.2 patch, i wouldn't think of playing it unpatched, while the game itself is still great - an unplayable game isn't a great experience... it's like reading a book with pages torn out, words constasntly spelled wrong and suspicious stains on some pages that you don't want to go near

i don't know if it was fair of gamespot to give oblivion so high a score, or bloodline so low a score - but in their own way, they both deserve praise - just for radically different reasons, because they are very different games, and completely different genres

but thanks to the way computer games are classified, they seem to fall under the same banner

too bad 

ivan_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ivan_the_one
Member since 2005 • 592 Posts

Lilac_Benjie
bloodlines was a good game..... but the glitches did kind of bring the game down.... that's probably why it got a 7.... in order to be a good game in my opinion, it must be great on all levels such as good gameplay, good story, low amount of technical issues...etc. so I'm not so surprised that it got a low score even though it was an awsome game in my opinion.^_^
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

Lilac_Benjie

If you are going to take it that far then Sims 2 is the best ture RPG ever made.  Everything you listed as an RPG feature in Vampire the Masquerade has been in the Sims for years.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I still have Vampire installed on my computer, just to note that I'm a fan of the game - but one thing to note is that the game was reviewed as it was released, and on release it was a fairly buggy wreck. Even the intro cutscene was vaguely broken, IIRC.
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lilac_Benjie

Perhaps the real shame is that patches are not reviewed. Even a short paragraph detailing the effects of profound patches would help gamers know if a game is worth getting in the long term. 

If you are going to take it that far then Sims 2 is the best ture RPG ever made. Everything you listed as an RPG feature in Vampire the Masquerade has been in the Sims for years.basersx

Do you roleplay in the Sims?

EvanSkanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EvanSkanes
Member since 2004 • 10942 Posts
There's no such thing as an offline mmorpg.
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
Bloodlines is under appreciated by critics, and it kind of killed Troika, such a shame.
Krangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Krangle
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts
If Vampires was as polished as HL 2 (since they use the same engine) this would not be a debate.  They should have a section where they review games after, lets say a year, to factor in the improvements made by the patches.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
If you had a fork and you were missing your knife to a cut a piece of meat in a game, and even gained a fork level, it would be considered an rpg by GS..
vicscrape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vicscrape
Member since 2006 • 328 Posts
I actually liked Oblivion. I think its because I'm not a hardcore RPG fan. I'm more of an ACTION RPG fan. (but I do love a few traditional rpgs)
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lilac_Benjie

There's no such thing as an offline mmorpg.EvanSkanes

Oblivion

is

an

mmorpg

except

with

no

community

in

it's

blandness

I cannot believe I had to spell my point out. 

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
How can a game be an MMO if there is only 1 actual player in it? :|
ng_gavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ng_gavin
Member since 2003 • 191 Posts

Yes, oblivion is very, very overatted. My first time through, I had tons of fun until the 40 hour mark, were everything was almost the same and things got boring. Boring voice acting, bad story, lame AI, etc. etc.

And to show how bad of a developer bethsteda is, look at all the other games they make..:\ 

Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Trashface
Member since 2006 • 3534 Posts
I think GS rates a little too much on first impressions, and doesn't take the long term into account. With a game like Oblivion, sure first impression is going to be great, it's not untill you actually get into the game you realize what a turd it is.Alaris83
I don't agree. They played vanguard for weeks before reviewing it.
Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts

Oblivion got amazing reviews but i can't name one person i know in real life that likes it lol. Personally i thought it was trash and the world was bland and generic.

Games like Gears and Halo i thought were crap too but alot of my mates love em.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bigmit37

How can a game be an MMO if there is only 1 actual player in it? :|the_ChEeSe_mAn2

That's true.

I think he was trying to say a lack of story or something along the lines....not sure...he's wasn't too clear.

I haven' t played any MMO's so not sure if they have stories. But I did play Guild Wars and it had a story...and it felt like an rpg..but it was just online. 

Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#45 Terrorantula
Member since 2007 • 1795 Posts

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]How can a game be an MMO if there is only 1 actual player in it? :|bigmit37

That's true.

I think he was trying to say a lack of story or something along the lines....not sure...he's wasn't too clear.

I haven' t played any MMO's so not sure if they have stories. But I did play Guild Wars and it had a story...and it felt like an rpg..but it was just online. 

GW is a online RPG and it isn't a mmorpg and nowhere on the website does it say it is or in the FaQ.

drucom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 drucom
Member since 2004 • 766 Posts

Lilac_Benjie
Look up the definiton to 'opinion', please. Everyone has a different one.
Avatar image for deactivated-63cd1530c7768
deactivated-63cd1530c7768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#47 deactivated-63cd1530c7768
Member since 2003 • 917 Posts
Hey dude! You have some mistake in your Topic. Let me correct: GAMESPOT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT COMPLETLY GAMES! :-)
bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bigmit37
[QUOTE="bigmit37"]

[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]How can a game be an MMO if there is only 1 actual player in it? :|Terrorantula

That's true.

GW is a online RPG and it isn't a mmorpg and nowhere on the website does it say it is or in the FaQ.

Reading Comprehension.  I SAID I haven't played ANY MMOS. Meaning, I am not calling Guild Wars a MMORPG.Â