Games won't run in wide-screen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shadow_011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shadow_011
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hello, Since I installed Windows 7 on my computer my games refuse to run in wide-screen although I have wide-screen monitor. When my computer ran on Vista they were fine. Every time I play there are no problems whilst playing it's just annoying that there are two black strips on each side of the screen. Adjusting the resolution in the game's options does nothing to fix it. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="Shadow_011"]Hello, Since I installed Windows 7 on my computer my games refuse to run in wide-screen although I have wide-screen monitor. When my computer ran on Vista they were fine. Every time I play there are no problems whilst playing it's just annoying that there are two black strips on each side of the screen. Adjusting the resolution in the game's options does nothing to fix it. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

you're selecting the wrong aspect ratio in games.... nothing else.
Shadow_011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shadow_011
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] you're selecting the wrong aspect ratio in games.... nothing else.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by this? You mean like the resolution? I tried them all none of them fix it. Sometimes there is a black strip at the top and bottom too but I manage to get rid of them by adjusting the resolution but the two srips on the side won't go.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="Shadow_011"][QUOTE="Nibroc420"] you're selecting the wrong aspect ratio in games.... nothing else.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by this? You mean like the resolution? I tried them all none of them fix it. Sometimes there is a black strip at the top and bottom too but I manage to get rid of them by adjusting the resolution but the two srips on the side won't go.

Games like those on the source engine (example) have 2 drop down boxes. One for resolution and another for aspect ratio. It sounds to me like you're running a 16:9 or 16:10 screen with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dont-read-this
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
Installed your driver monitors? If you have a nvidia card check on the nv control panel the scaling options.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
Which games are you playing? It sounds like you are playing games without widescreen support and your PC is now displaying them CORRECTLY. If you were playing games stretched to widescreen, and now are dissatisfied with the superior visual experience... well, I have no hope for you. If I interpreted the details of your "issue" incorrectly I apologize.
Shadow_011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shadow_011
Which games are you playing? It sounds like you are playing games without widescreen support and your PC is now displaying them CORRECTLY. If you were playing games stretched to widescreen, and now are dissatisfied with the superior visual experience... well, I have no hope for you. If I interpreted the details of your "issue" incorrectly I apologize.jedinat
This is happening with all games. Both old and new.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
you might want to check the link in my sig
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
i'm running windows7 and have no issues with running games in widescreen. I suggest checking your drivers and it's settings as well as settings for the games.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#10 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

1. Check what resolution you have it set to by right clicking on your desktop then clickign on properties... then click on SETTINGS.. 1680 bs 1050 is what I use for my widescreen.

2. Check to make sure you have drivers installed for your grahics card

3. Check the options inside the games to change the resoltution that you play the game at (should be same as what its set under settings for your desktop)