Game doesn't work after moving...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts

I like to mess with my computer probably more than is good for it. A while ago I split my partition into two. I installed a couple games on the new partition. After a while I decided to merge the partitions back together. Unfortunately, this seems to have broken the games I installed on the other partition. I still have all the files, it just wont run. Is there a way to fix the game without reinstalling it? I'd think I could make a new partition with the same drive letter as the old one and move them back but I'd rather not if there's another way.

Oddly, Steam games don't have this problem. As long as they're in Steam's install directory they will work regardless of where I move my Steam folder to. This gives me yet another reason to think that Windows does not handle a lot of things in an ideal manner.

woomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#2 woomar
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

Edit the registry file(start>run>regedit) of the game and you should be fine.

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

Are all your games broken? The problem is registry entries as the previous poster mentions, in my experience the vast majority of games works just as well without them though.

INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts
LOL. I tried to run them again to tell you what error it gives me and they work perfectly fine now. Probably because I ran CCleaner to fix registry errors for totally unrelated reasons.