Galactic Civilizations II...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlackStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BlackStalker
Member since 2004 • 719 Posts
Hey, can someone give me their opinion on this game, and whether or not i should pick it up? I havn't played the first one and the concept i've seen from teh screenshots looks intriguing... I would just like to know the highs and lows of this game if possible. Thanks.
ChocoKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ChocoKat
Member since 2006 • 319 Posts
One of the best turn-based strategy games ever. Be prepared to lose a lot of sleep.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
err.....it depends on what you're expecting from this game. granted it's a very sophisticated game, with 4 tech trees combined to provide hundreds of researches, a shipyard that allows you to design your own ships ( coz the default ones suck pretty badly :p ), and 4 possible ways to gain victory. BUT, you cannot research more than 1 technology per turn, and some tech requires more than 50 turns to research ( less if you build more labs, but still alot ). as a result, the actual playing doesn't always seem to be as engaging as it sounds.
ChocoKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChocoKat
Member since 2006 • 319 Posts

err.....it depends on what you're expecting from this game. granted it's a very sophisticated game, with 4 tech trees combined to provide hundreds of researches, a shipyard that allows you to design your own ships ( coz the default ones suck pretty badly :p ), and 4 possible ways to gain victory. BUT, you cannot research more than 1 technology per turn, and some tech requires more than 50 turns to research ( less if you build more labs, but still alot ). as a result, the actual playing doesn't always seem to be as engaging as it sounds. Jinroh_basic

Please refresh my memory. I can't think of one 4x game that allowed you to research more then one item on the tech at one time.

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts
I heard amazing things about the game...
Going to eventually try it out when I have some time...

I am the type to sucked into games where you have a lot of planning and thinking...and I don't the luxury of time at the moment...

But I think a demo was released right?
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
err.....it depends on what you're expecting from this game. granted it's a very sophisticated game, with 4 tech trees combined to provide hundreds of researches, a shipyard that allows you to design your own ships ( coz the default ones suck pretty badly :p ), and 4 possible ways to gain victory. BUT, you cannot research more than 1 technology per turn, and some tech requires more than 50 turns to research ( less if you build more labs, but still alot ). as a result, the actual playing doesn't always seem to be as engaging as it sounds. Jinroh_basic
I agree 100%, I just picked the game up week or two ago and I am pretty happy about overal package in the game, but yes the whole learn one research imo.. made me want to cry, overall the game is still great, but imo I prefer Civilization 4 more
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]err.....it depends on what you're expecting from this game. granted it's a very sophisticated game, with 4 tech trees combined to provide hundreds of researches, a shipyard that allows you to design your own ships ( coz the default ones suck pretty badly :p ), and 4 possible ways to gain victory. BUT, you cannot research more than 1 technology per turn, and some tech requires more than 50 turns to research ( less if you build more labs, but still alot ). as a result, the actual playing doesn't always seem to be as engaging as it sounds. ChocoKat

Please refresh my memory. I can't think of one 4x game that allowed you to research more then one item on the tech at one time.

Civilization 4 allows you to research plenty multiple things
bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts
err.....it depends on what you're expecting from this game. granted it's a very sophisticated game, with 4 tech trees combined to provide hundreds of researches, a shipyard that allows you to design your own ships ( coz the default ones suck pretty badly :p ), and 4 possible ways to gain victory. BUT, you cannot research more than 1 technology per turn, and some tech requires more than 50 turns to research ( less if you build more labs, but still alot ). as a result, the actual playing doesn't always seem to be as engaging as it sounds. Jinroh_basic

50 turns!! OMG.

How's the expansion?
DethZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DethZero
Member since 2002 • 5983 Posts
50 turns? That guy must suck =P Stuff I research generally takes anywhere from 5 to 10 turns, and this is the "long research time" setting too. This is one of the most addictive games ever and the expansion makes things even more addicting hehe. Get the gold edition so you can have both the game and exp.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts

One of the best turn-based strategy games ever. Be prepared to lose a lot of sleep. ChocoKat

Yea, I am not huge on turn-based games but this one is truly awesome.  A lot of good humor in it, too.

Its up there with Alpha Centauri (my favorite turn-based game).

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

50 turns? That guy must suck =P Stuff I research generally takes anywhere from 5 to 10 turns, and this is the "long research time" setting too. This is one of the most addictive games ever and the expansion makes things even more addicting hehe. Get the gold edition so you can have both the game and exp.DethZero

you mean you can get to planetary invasion in 10 turns? that's odd....coz i can't, not even with 8 research labs.

you can listen to the fervent fans all you like, folks....but the fact is, whichever tree of technologies you choose to go down to, your investment would only start to yield benefits at its 3rd, sometimes 5th tier, and each tier takes increasingly more amount of turns to research. take the planetary invasion i mentioned for example. Deth, you wanna enlighten us as to how many turns of research to reach there, starting from the very first tier? and oops, you need to build transport ship after that. aww jee.....and another 8 turns to get that ship to the nearest planet. if you can point us to a faster method, be my guest.

crapdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 crapdog
Member since 2006 • 427 Posts
the expansion is great for people who dont have the game at all cause it has lot of improvement in the original game - get the gold edition galciv2+add on
xenophone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xenophone
Member since 2004 • 251 Posts
the expansion is great for people who dont have the game at all cause it has lot of improvement in the original game - get the gold edition galciv2+add oncrapdog

Your saying that even if we havn't played the original we should get both and install the exp. pack?  So you don't need to 'beat' the game first?
spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts
[QUOTE="crapdog"]the expansion is great for people who dont have the game at all cause it has lot of improvement in the original game - get the gold edition galciv2+add onxenophone

Your saying that even if we havn't played the original we should get both and install the exp. pack? So you don't need to 'beat' the game first?

While they do have a campaign mode, i generally play it. It's really the sandbox mode where the game shines, where you can customize everything including your opponents. You don't have to "beat" the game since the expansion simply adds a large amount of improvements and added gameplay features (and if you're interested, a whole new campaign as well).
DKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DKII
Member since 2004 • 353 Posts
I just downloaded the gold edition and am loving it so far. Only been doing the campaign so far and my only complaint is that I always either win myself or my allies end up winning for me before I can research very far but that's usually just how campaigns go. :> Just about everything is customizable in sandbox mode so you can really make this game into anything you want. I only wish I had more time to play it, my job performance is suffering from lack of sleep and such. ;)
heidelun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 heidelun
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts
If you like Civilization series, pick it up. If not, skip it.
t3h_MarK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 t3h_MarK
Member since 2006 • 363 Posts

[QUOTE="DethZero"]50 turns? That guy must suck =P Stuff I research generally takes anywhere from 5 to 10 turns, and this is the "long research time" setting too. This is one of the most addictive games ever and the expansion makes things even more addicting hehe. Get the gold edition so you can have both the game and exp.Jinroh_basic

you mean you can get to planetary invasion in 10 turns? that's odd....coz i can't, not even with 8 research labs.

you can listen to the fervent fans all you like, folks....but the fact is, whichever tree of technologies you choose to go down to, your investment would only start to yield benefits at its 3rd, sometimes 5th tier, and each tier takes increasingly more amount of turns to research. take the planetary invasion i mentioned for example. Deth, you wanna enlighten us as to how many turns of research to reach there, starting from the very first tier? and oops, you need to build transport ship after that. aww jee.....and another 8 turns to get that ship to the nearest planet. if you can point us to a faster method, be my guest.

it's not hard really, you need to invest at least 50% in Research and build 2 lab on every planet, focusing production on research when you don't have anything good to build is smart too. Also pioneer techs like planetary invasion always take more as they open up new research opportunity. Personally i prefered the approach in MOO3 where you divided research fund between categories.
chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts

um..................................

i am pretty sure that Civ4 only lets you research one tech at  a time.. I was playing it 5 mins ago by the way.