AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

I was honestly expecting DLSS 1.0 quality, but FSR is far beyond that, plus it's far easier to implement, and works on geforce cards. AMD did a great job on it, looks like DLSS has some competition, and tensor cores aren't really needed.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Someone loves AMD.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By attirex
Member since 2007 • 2448 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I was honestly expecting DLSS 1.0 quality, but FSR is far beyond that, plus it's far easier to implement, and works on geforce cards. AMD did a great job on it, looks like DLSS has some competition, and tensor cores aren't really needed.

IBF Bassman posts "cool story bro"

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I was honestly expecting DLSS 1.0 quality, but FSR is far beyond that

Not exactly - the technology only enhances edges, not within-geometry texture quality, leaving much of what is blurred by a low native res untouched, and the overall appearance is markedly inferior to UE TAA. Pretty underwhelming, sadly, given the exciting promise of having platform independence

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@Random_Matt: I'm only going by what I see. I was expecting a blurry mess, but it's much better than that. Give credit where it's due.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AlexKidd5000

@xantufrog: well either way it looks good to my eyes, and AMD is already starting work on version 2.0. so I look forward to any enhancements they make.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AlexKidd5000

@xantufrog said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

I was honestly expecting DLSS 1.0 quality, but FSR is far beyond that

Not exactly - the technology only enhances edges, not within-geometry texture quality, leaving much of what is blurred by a low native res untouched, and the overall appearance is markedly inferior to UE TAA. Pretty underwhelming, sadly, given the exciting promise of having platform independence

Forgot to mention TSR that was co-developed by AMD and Epic, people say it looks indistinguishable from native resolution. To my knowledge, it doesn't use machine learning, so DLSS is further relegated to the niche bin.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@AlexKidd5000: i'm assuming since you have a big AMD Radeon in your sig line that you might not be wholly impartial - but you can see with your own eyes. Digital foundry showed quite clearly how it performs roughly akin to TAA from the UE, actually a bit worse - which is substantially WORSE than native.

I would also note that it is precisely the ML component that is why this is inferior to DLSS2. The ML is essentially an extension of the rendering pipeline, to create details missing from the lower res source image. This doesn't have the same capacity - thus when it renders at a lower res and upscales - guess what? The texture quality is unchanged from the original. Again, you can see it with your own eyes - don't have to take my word for it.

*edit* originally I'd noted it's worse than DLSS2, but technically that hasn't been tested directly here. You have to interpolate across tests - worse than TAAU -> which has been shown to be markedly inferior to DLSS2 in prior tests on other titles

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xantufrog  Moderator

Here you go - not here to fight about it, and if you don't believe me that's fine. It is what it is. But as someone who works with ML for a living I do not understand the persistent confusion surrounding DLSS on these forums....

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AlexKidd5000

@xantufrog: Yeah, FSR is not the same thing as DLSS, nor was it ever intended to be, and is probably more for APU and lower end card owners, but that could change in the future, who knows. My original point was that it looks fine for what it is, and what it sets out to do. I haven't seen DF's UE5 video yet, I'll give it a watch. DLSS only works on one brands GPU's, and only on 2000 and 3000 series cards, plus it is not easy to implement, and nvidia usually has to do it for the game devs from what I understand.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xantufrog  Moderator

@AlexKidd5000: you're absolutely right - and I think this is clearly just AMD's first pass. With consoles standing to benefit as well, it's going to continue to improve and extend the "usable" life of hardware