Freelancer fan looking for something new?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kellqj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 kellqj
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts

I love freelancer... And I never found a good alternative. Any suggestions?

I played X3 and DarkStar One. But X3 is to slow for my taste and DS1 was, in my taste, not that good.

Thanks

Skullcandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Skullcandy
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts

EVE online? Free 14 day trial if you're interested. Maybe Sins of a Solar Empire. I found it incredibly boring but a lot of people like it.

Not that many space sims out there anymore.

Durhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Durhamster
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts
Isn't EvE the game with it's "revolutionary" leveling system where you don't even need to play to level up? or was that some other MMO?
Skullcandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Skullcandy
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts

Yeah, that's EVE. You chose certain skills to improve and its based off of a timed 'research' waiting period. The higher you want the skill to increase, the longer it takes, anywhere from an hour all the way up to a month I believe. In real time.

It's not for everyone. By far the most depth of any MMO I've played, not something you can just jump into.

Avatar image for MechanicalSpork
MechanicalSpork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 MechanicalSpork
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts

I'm in a similar position to you and posted almost the exact same topic (http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26792010&tag=topics;title) last night.

I'm on my 5th day of the EVE trial and I'm liking it, otherwise I'm really not sure. There are some good suggestions in the topic i posted so you can look at some of those I suppose.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

EVE online? Free 14 day trial if you're interested. Maybe Sins of a Solar Empire. I found it incredibly boring but a lot of people like it.

Not that many space sims out there anymore.

Skullcandy
Sins is strategy game, it's different from Freelancer.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

I love freelancer... And I never found a good alternative. Any suggestions?

I played X3 and DarkStar One. But X3 is to slow for my taste and DS1 was, in my taste, not that good.

Thanks

kellqj

You could look into Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (PC). Might be something that sparks your interest. I know you can find it on Steam. I picked up the game on Steam during a Christmas/New Year blowout sale...not the most recent one, but the year before for like $4.99 or $7.99. It's only $9.99 now. I've got so many games that I haven't even got around to playing with this one much. It showed promise, but that was only with about 30 minutes of playing.

I'm a big fan of Freelancer, too. Aside from this and DarkStar One, I'm not really sure what else is out there for more recent space sim games.

TheCyberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 TheCyberKnight
Member since 2003 • 804 Posts

I love Freelancer as well. In fact, I have it installed currently and still play it now and then with various mods.

I always hoped that MS would pick it back up and make a 2nd one; updated with today's graphic capabilities, though it still looks pretty nice.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts
[QUOTE="TheCyberKnight"]

I love Freelancer as well. In fact, I have it installed currently and still play it now and then with various mods.

I always hoped that MS would pick it back up and make a 2nd one; updated with today's graphic capabilities, though it still looks pretty nice.

Hey, you never know. Maybe Microsoft will do something like that, considering how much they back PC gaming today! Yeah for Microsoft and their on going support for PC gaming! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! . All joking aside, it would be nice to see a Freelancer 2.
RT_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 RT_Jackson
Member since 2003 • 3830 Posts

look up the evochron series

evechron legends is newly released, but I think renegade is considered to be the best

edit: actually it may be too slow for you.. it paced kinda like x3

you might look up freespace 2... it is entirely about combat missions, but is considered a classic. it's also free, if you find fs2open project

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
... But X3 is to slow for my taste and DS1 was, in my taste, not that good.kellqj
Have you tried X3: Terran Conflict? Progress in TC comes at a much faster rate than it did in X3: Reunion due to the availability of missions and the rewards you get throughout the half-dozen plot lines. I haven't played any of the Evochron series, but I plan to check out Evochron Legends shortly.
kellqj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 kellqj
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts

Thank you, all of you.

I might give EVE a shot and maybe Freespace 2. Could be X3 TC, if it's faster than Reunion, it has potential.
Lets hope for a Freelancer 2 some day.

Thanks again.