This topic is locked from further discussion.

justfei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 justfei
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts

i really enjoyed freelancer and its open ended gameplay was perfect for the space rpg. im just wondering whether there are any plans for a sequel or perhaps theres another similar game as great as freelancer?

iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts
You know, I own Freelancer and have never played it. I kind of just collect games that look interesting. Kind of like comic books. I've read that it's a great game. From a player's point of view, is it really all that?
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

I thought the game was awesome, great voice acting and story. It's too bad the game quickly becomes boring after you complete the storyline, but it is definitely worth your time if you haven't played it.

As far as a sequel I doubt we will ever see one sadly. :(

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts

The storyline is fairly short, but really enjoyable to play through. You should definitely give it a try.

After you finish it (if you finish it), you can also try Darkstar One. It's practically the same game with a different story and prettier graphics, which is a great thing in my book.

Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts
i didnt finish freelancer, but i had a hell of a time getting to where i did...fun game. I hope they make a sequel, or any open space game like it
DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts

i didnt finish freelancer, but i had a hell of a time getting to where i did...fun game. I hope they make a sequel, or any open space game like itGokuja

::cough:: Darkstar One ::cough::

WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts
Try X3. It's even more open ended.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#8 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

I think Digital Anvil was shut down by Microsoft. So I doubt there will ever be a true sequel - though I would love one :)

I've played a lot of space sims that came after it, but nothing came close. :(

iwokojance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iwokojance
Member since 2005 • 1040 Posts
Cool. Maybe I'll give the game a try then. Thanks all!
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

[QUOTE="Gokuja"]i didnt finish freelancer, but i had a hell of a time getting to where i did...fun game. I hope they make a sequel, or any open space game like itDGFreak

::cough:: Darkstar One ::cough::

I actually thought the graphics in freelancer looked better. Plus you could see your ship in a third person view, and from what i tired of darkstar one it was only first person view, and thats a pain in the rear to have such a limited view when you travel in the entire galaxy.

Freelancer was the perfect space rpg game and i havent really tried anything like it since. The x games are way to complicated for my taste.

crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 crucifine
Member since 2003 • 4726 Posts
Heh, one of my game programming projects for school was actually a stripped-down Flash version of that (we basically made it in three weeks). As such, there's no story, no save feature, it's basically you travelling around buying and selling and trying not to get shot down as long as you can.

I think the main programmer has it hosted on his website: http://www.zithuan.com/ It should be the 'Freetrader' link. Like I said, it doesn't hold a candle to Freelancer, but if you want something to kill time, it's there.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#12 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
Darkstar One was not as enjoyable as Freelance, IMO.
kellqj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 kellqj
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts

I actually thought the graphics in freelancer looked better. Plus you could see your ship in a third person view, and from what i tired of darkstar one it was only first person view, and thats a pain in the rear to have such a limited view when you travel in the entire galaxy.

Freelancer was the perfect space rpg game and i havent really tried anything like it since. The x games are way to complicated for my taste.

mimic-Denmark

I agree 100%..

(space sims) Nothing I have tried comes close to Freelancer.

zeleni92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 zeleni92
Member since 2009 • 30 Posts
Freelancer's always been one of my fav PC games but unfortunately, the sequel won't be made, Microsoft gave up on it as well as on maintaining original Freelancer's global server which is not fair towards people who bought it to play it online. Anyways, if you like open ended space sim style, i recommend you try Freespace 2, it's supposed to be the best space sim made so far...
kellqj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 kellqj
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts

Thanks just made a new topic asking what to play :-)

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

Issue 1: This topic is nearly a year old. Please do not dig up old threads

Freelancer's always been one of my fav PC games but unfortunately, the sequel won't be made, Microsoft gave up on it as well as on maintaining original Freelancer's global server which is not fair towards people who bought it to play it online. Anyways, if you like open ended space sim style, i recommend you try Freespace 2, it's supposed to be the best space sim made so far...zeleni92

Issue 2: Freespace 2 is definitely NOT an open ended space sim. It is a linear, story-oriented space sim. That's not to say the game isn't great (personally, I'm loving the game), it just should not be billed as something it most certainly is not.

It is a shame to hear about the global server...it's too bad MS didn't implement a direct IP connection for the game. Would have worked around the whole global server requirement. Come to think of it, MS should have released a patch that allowed a Direct IP connection. Grrr...shame on them!

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
SinceChris Roberts left gaming industry, it's hard to have the sequel.
metroid96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 metroid96
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Actually, as much as I would like a FL 2, I think all the mods out there (Discovery, Void, Crossfire, Tekagis Treasure...) really make up for there not being a sequel.. especially because most of the mods add enhanced graphics like ship, BattleFog, etc.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Freelancer was alright.. It had WAY more possibilities though.. The fact of the matter is the "sandbox" setting was quite useless with really only 3 different kinds of missions, and trading was quite useless.. X3 Terran Conflict is a way better sandbox.. That being said the game was very good singleplayer wise, and its a shame we most likely will never see a sequel.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Darkstar One and the X games have already been mentioned, but you could also look up Tachyon if you don't mind an older title. There's also Spaceforce: Rogue Universe you can check out.

X - Most open ended space flight sim pretty much out there, but lighter on story in favor of a big open universe. Cool this about this game is not only can you literally buy nearly any kind of ship you encounter in the game (and there are tons) but you can work your way up to an entire fleet and you can even purchase your own space stations. The game has an actual living economy and it tracks NPC ships as they move from sector to sector trading and doing whatnot. Generally there is no restriction to where you can and can't go in this game, but if you venture too far too early you'll get your butt handed to you. A very rewarding game series, but not easy to get into because of a steep difficulty and learning curve.

Darkstar One - Open ended space that's a little bit more linear as you have to progress in the story missions to unlock new sectors and systems. Much easier to get into than X, but some might complain that it's a tad simple by comparison. Freelancer is probably closer to Darkstar One than it is to X in terms of overall gameplay. Biggest downside of Darkstar One is that while it's central to the plot you cannot pilot ships other than the Darkstar One, but your ship evolves over time and becomes very powerful.

-Byshop

Le_Origin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Le_Origin
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Ein-7919, Microsoft Games actually Did implement a "Direct IP" connection tool. Go to the installation directory where you installed Freelancer, (for me it is C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/Freelancer), and go to the EXE folder. Inside is a application called Fldirectip.htk, (.htk is a html application). This will allow you to connect to any Multiplayer Freelancer server you wish, as long as you have the correct IP for that server.(And is still online/open)
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
I've never finished it but from what I played, it was pretty good. It's extremely open-ended, giving the players tons to do after the main game is done. I don't see much incentive to do a lot of the fetch quests if there isn't a main story to motivate me.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I loved the open gameplayof that game! I did read some rumors about a sequel a few years ago. Not sure anyone has been able to say that with any sense of authority. It's worth trying Darkstar One just in case you like it, I hated it myself. After about an hour and a half it turns into a grind.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#24 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Loved Freelancers, would love a new one

robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

One of my all time favourite games. Would love to see a sequel. A worthy kickstarter project?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Microsoft was actually making Freelancer 2, watch this and weep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ik9liH8OUw

But back then they switched their whole gaming divisision to 360, so FL2 was 360-exclusive, but they realized it wouldn't sell there, so they canceled.

Also, if you liked Freelancer ,definitly try to dig out Privateer 2 somewhere.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46717 Posts

I don't even like space combat games (or whatever freelancer is classified as) but I LOVED freelancer

Microsoft was actually making Freelancer 2, watch this and weep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ik9liH8OUw

But back then they switched their whole gaming divisision to 360, so FL2 was 360-exclusive, but they realized it wouldn't sell there, so they canceled.

Also, if you liked Freelancer ,definitly try to dig out Privateer 2 somewhere.

AdrianWerner

Can't say I'm surprised.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

You know, I own Freelancer and have never played it. I kind of just collect games that look interesting. Kind of like comic books. I've read that it's a great game. From a player's point of view, is it really all that?iwokojance

Back in the day it was pretty amazing, im not sure what you would make of it if you never played it then and only just play it now. Freelancer is one of my favorite games of all time.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
I only played Freelancer for the MP.