Former Steam boss Jason Holtman now at Microsoft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58947 Posts

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/14/former-steam-boss-jason-holtman-now-at-microsoft/

This might not actually be the end of GFWL.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
If he quit working for Valve to join Microsoft, I might have even called him a traitor. But since he was laid off, Microsoft is only getting the leftovers. Microsoft needs to hire game developers from the PC modding community if they want to have a chance at making good games again. Hiring business managers is certainly not something the gaming community cares about at all. We just want good games.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I doubt any game is going to use GFWL now anyway.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

If he quit working for Valve to join Microsoft, I might have even called him a traitor. But since he was laid off, Microsoft is only getting the leftovers. Microsoft needs to hire game developers from the PC modding community if they want to have a chance at making good games again. Hiring business managers is certainly not something the gaming community cares about at all. We just want good games.SKaREO

There are no traitors when it comes to working - for everyone is a mercenary in the workforce. 

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

I doubt any game is going to use GFWL now anyway.

gameofthering

Street Fighter just dropped it.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
This is good news. Everything Microsoft talked about when they originally announced their console pointed towards them heading in a Steam-like direction, but they didn't play up the benefits, which any Steam user will tell you are numerous and great. So hopefully he will help Microsoft sell the idea of a Steam like console. Steam was terribly unpopular initially.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#7 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

The amount of reshuffling at Valve and general lack of new games is making me uncomfortable.

To me there are companies like Naughty Dog in particular that are starting to bridge the gap. 

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 uninspiredcup

The amount of reshuffling at Valve and general lack of new games is making me uncomfortable.

To me there are companies like Naughty Dog in particular that are starting to bridge the gap. 

biggest_loser

But Valve practically invented DD, popularized modding and outright saved pc gaming as well as put many indie developers on the map.

Naughty Dog has put out two, unoriginal good games. Big waweez.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#9 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

uninspiredcup

But Valve practically invented DD, popularized modding and outright saved pc gaming as well as put many indie developers on the map.

I'm grateful for Steam but what are they personally developing? I want to see some new titles from them because they're too good to just be resting on TF2 items and new CS maps. I don't know what you're referring to with ND but everything I've played from them has been hugely enjoyable.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'm hoping that Vavle will show off Source 2 running L4D3 or HL3 at Gamescom.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

GFWL will never return. The name and brand is far too toxic among gamers.

At best They'll rename and relaunch, or simply further integrate 8/one/phone ecosystems.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]If he quit working for Valve to join Microsoft, I might have even called him a traitor. But since he was laid off, Microsoft is only getting the leftovers. Microsoft needs to hire game developers from the PC modding community if they want to have a chance at making good games again. Hiring business managers is certainly not something the gaming community cares about at all. We just want good games.The_Capitalist

There are no traitors when it comes to working - for everyone is a mercenary in the workforce. 

I wouldn't know because I haven't worked a single day in 32 years.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]If he quit working for Valve to join Microsoft, I might have even called him a traitor. But since he was laid off, Microsoft is only getting the leftovers. Microsoft needs to hire game developers from the PC modding community if they want to have a chance at making good games again. Hiring business managers is certainly not something the gaming community cares about at all. We just want good games.SKaREO

Good for you. 

Ser_Charles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Ser_Charles
Member since 2013 • 76 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

The_Capitalist

Good for you. 

he is more like a capitalist than you...:)
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

general lack of new games is making me uncomfortable.

biggest_loser

are you kidding me? They just released DOTA2.. one of the biggest games in the world.. and Counterstrike GO this year also one of the msot popular online shooters.. Both those this year... Hardly a slow year fo valve... Another CS game and arguably the most popular game in gaming right now. Not to mention a rumor of L4D3 being in the making.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

I want to see some new titles from them because they're too good to just be resting on TF2 items and new CS maps. I don't know what you're referring to with ND but everything I've played from them has been hugely enjoyable.

Have you been asleep this year? DOTA 2 got released.... one of this years biggest games... yet you say they are only makgin tf2 items and new cs maps? Come on man , I usually agree with you but these comments about valve are laughable.

When people look back on 2013 DOTA2 will be one of the biggest and popular games not only of this year but of this gen. I dont play it much but there is no denying its impact in gaming this year.

Sure I would LOVE a new Half Life and a new Team Fortress from Valve, but to say they "they are to good to be resting on tf2 items and cs maps" makes me laugh to be honest.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]If he quit working for Valve to join Microsoft, I might have even called him a traitor. But since he was laid off, Microsoft is only getting the leftovers. Microsoft needs to hire game developers from the PC modding community if they want to have a chance at making good games again. Hiring business managers is certainly not something the gaming community cares about at all. We just want good games.SKaREO

Explains a lot actually.
II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

wow....now it's confirmed. I had my doubts, but now i'm sure of it.....tsk, tsk, tsk

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

II-Siamak-II

wow....now it's confirmed. I had my doubts, but now i'm sure of it.....tsk, tsk, tsk

Same here. We can confirm he's a 40 year old virgin still living at home.