For those of you who have glasses...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WildVanilla22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WildVanilla22
Member since 2012 • 48 Posts

What number do you have?

Do you think its the pc that made your eyes worse?

I have -2.75 in one eye & -3.75 in my other eye.

Its been a few years since the number changed, but i think that yes, pc is one of the reason im short sighted..

Im just worry about the future, its not good to have a high number...

How about you?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts
I don't remember my numbers (around..-3.5?), but I don't think so. All of my immediate family members have glasses, and they all have worse eyesight than me, even though I spend all my time staring at screens.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
TV, PC, reading, they all affect your eyes. In general the eyes are tired (takes days, if not weeks of an almost total break from all those sources for your eyes to recover), but slowly your eyes get permanently affected by any of those. I went from -1.8 and -2.6 to -2.4 and -3.4 in the last 12 years, had -2.4 and -3.4 for about 5 years and it's still perfect, the left eye however has some problems adjusting since last year (also had major surgery so I waited since eyesight is affected by various antibiotics and anesthesia) probably went to about -2.6 or 7, so I'm not that worried personally, it barely changed in the last several years and I probably get around 100-110 hours in front of a screen every week.
fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2384 Posts

I had bad eyes long before I ever used a pc of any kind, runs in the family so I'm not worried. Funny thing is that I went to art school and got a degree in illustration with my bad eyes. Go figure.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
i think my left eye is -2.5 and my right -1.5 (not sure about the negative but i'm shortsighted). i don't think it's the computer, i spent more hours in the last 2 years in front of a display than i ever did in my life and my eyesight has been unaffected for those 2 years. the great thing is, with bigger displays and proper interfaces, it's not that stressful to read when you can just enlarge the font. as far as gaming and watching videos for long hours is concerned, even small breaks and mild healthy habits prevent eyesight from getting worse, from what i know.
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

I'm clocking in at respectable -5.50 on both eyes (contacts). I sit in front of a computer screen all day at work, and like to read and game in my spare time, so I'm pretty sure it has affected my eyesight. Small price to pay though*shrugs*

gravitygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gravitygamer
Member since 2010 • 948 Posts
2.50L- 2.75R i got glasses when i was 8.
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RaseshX
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts

What number do you have?

Its been a few years since the number changed, but i think that yes, pc is one of the reason im short sighted..

How about you?

WildVanilla22
Kiss goodbye to 20/20 vision if you have a career in Computing. Though I wear contacts, glasses cramp my style.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

I don't know my numbers, but It's definitely the pc that has effected my eyes. I'm now pretty short sighted; Anything further than a couple metres away starts to blur.

I have trouble reading this text from 1 metre away :P

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Sir, are you dissing contact-lenses?

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Can't be good for my eyes sitting this close to a monitor.

But what are you gonna do.

Already been in front of PC's for decades, the damage is done.

My eyes aren't that bad, I can still see without glasses.

meh

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

I have 20-20 vision, my father had it until his 40's and now he has reading glasses; he never used computers much, despises them even. I've been gaming since I was about 14, I'm 22 now and still have no problems. Why do we think video games and screens in general affect vision?

WildVanilla22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WildVanilla22

Yes i know that the damage is done... but i dont want to make the my eyes worse.

I didnt take breaks but now im sure gonna do it.

Iv been to my ophthalmologist today and she told me the 20-20-20 method.

Every 20 minutes you sit infront of the pc, take a break and look at something that is 20 meter far from you, for 20 seconds.

Sitting less is not really a solution, because im jumping from pc, to reading, to TV watching and no matter what i do i always end up looking at close objects.

The ophthalmologist also said that a big number its not a big deal but the higher the number, the more pressure there is on the retina, and now im worry :(

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#14 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Nope, I got glasses when I was really young, had played maybe 2-3 computer games and a few nes/atari games but not much gaming.

Sometimes you just have bad eyes, weither you game or not.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

i have glasses assigned when 14, I never wore em. My eye vision now is pretty meh, it' used to be boarderline now I sohuld wear glasses but I never do, it's for le neerrds. Except when driving or in class.

It's possible monitors could have screwd up my eye vision, i used to use a crt...

Amigro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Amigro
Member since 2003 • 737 Posts

Thanks for the 20-20-20 method advise. Been seeing eye doctors all of my life and that was never recommended to me...

The summer before last I got Lasik in both eyes and an implantable lens put in my left eye (astigmatism was too bad for just Lasik) and I'm lovin' it. Pre-surgery I was at about -7 in the right and -8 in the left and essentially blind as a bat without my glasses. Being in an office and looking at a monitor all day, then going home and playing a couple of hours of games certainly doesn't help either.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I don't know my numbers. I don't think my doctor tells me. He just says if I need new ones or not. Everyone in my family wears glasses, so it just runs in the family. I also got glasses long before I played games heavily. I think I was in the 4th grade, so 17 years ago or something. We had regular Nintendo, but my mother wouldn't let me play longer than an hour per day. My eyes have gotten worse over the years, but I think because of the glasses themselves. That is what the doctor told me anyways. I get stronger glasses every 3 years or so. Both my parents have much worse eyesight than me and the other kids. I figure my eyesight will be just as bad as theirs when I get to their ages. They still do fine with glasses, just with thicker ones. I forgot my sister got the laser surgery, but I can't afford it myself, and my parents are too scared to get it done on their eyes.

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

meh

ZombieKiller7

Must be even worse for those who try and focus on those blurry messes you'd find on a PS3. Amiright?

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

meh

slimjimbadboy

Must be even worse for those who try and focus on those blurry messes you'd find on a PS3. Amiright?

No worse than every PC game from 1980 to 2005.

If I was to go blind from bad graphics, it would have happened long ago.

Also system wars is that way ------->

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

meh

slimjimbadboy

:) .
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

What number do you have?

How about you?

WildVanilla22

Talk to an optometrist

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Probley some, but right now i'm 2.75, 2.00

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
For my exams for glaucoma (dont have it, thankfully) i asked what the affects of prolonged use on the computer, tv, etc. In reality, it does nothing bad to your eyes. But EXCESSIVE use is always bad, like how a lit match wont do anything if you look at it, but a blowtorch can be terrible for your eyes.
shadow022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shadow022
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I've had bad eye sight since I was young, although I think maybe the pc has made my eyes slightly worse, but not much. I still feel like I've had the same bad eye sight, if not slightly worse then.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#25 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I have quite terrible eye sight, had these magifying glasses since I was 3. My eyes haven't really gotten much worse according to my Optometrist and I use a computer like 12hrs a day.
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

4.0 and 4.0

And ya, it's prolly cause I play vidyagames and no-life at the PC too much.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

0.75 magnification. That's all I know.

For me it came from reading small text on Facebook and from simply reading a lot close-up in general (books, computer screen, etc.)

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
lol my vision is perfect, and iv been gaming since the age of 3, i can read the little fine print on posters that are 25 feet away. its all genetics. noone in my immediate family has glasses, i remember when i was little and went for a checkup on my eyes the doctor acxtually told me that vvideo games are good for your vision lol not sure if he meant just a little gaming but iv been hardcore my whole life and my vision hasnt suffered at all
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
I don't have glasses or anything, but I'm fairly sure that the screen itself doesn't harm your eyes in any way, but the way you use it and the surroundings can cause problems such as eyestrain (lighting, positioning etc).
WildVanilla22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WildVanilla22

lol my vision is perfect, and iv been gaming since the age of 3, i can read the little fine print on posters that are 25 feet away. its all genetics. noone in my immediate family has glasses, i remember when i was little and went for a checkup on my eyes the doctor acxtually told me that vvideo games are good for your vision lol not sure if he meant just a little gaming but iv been hardcore my whole life and my vision hasnt suffered at allTH1Sx1SxSPARTA

How much do you game a day? (on the pc/console?)

My doctor said that yes, there are a lot of people with good eye sight and they sit infront of the pc all day long, but in most cases, its not like that.

WildVanilla22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WildVanilla22

I don't have glasses or anything, but I'm fairly sure that the screen itself doesn't harm your eyes in any way, but the way you use it and the surroundings can cause problems such as eyestrain (lighting, positioning etc).spittis

Yes, the screen is not the problem here, the problem here is that you look at the same spot for too long (same as reading), so you always need to be sure to let your eyes wonder around every 20 minutes or so.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

Uhm... I've got -6.5, both eyes :D Seems to be rare to have an identical number says my doctor for both eyes, but it sure is easy when it comes to wear lenses. However, I'm used to it. I start wearing glasses around 6 and I'm pretty used to it. 30 years ago, gaming was done of television and we didn't have those nice fancy flatscreens :D Bottom line: I've spent a lot of time in front of the TV at a minimum distance. I must say that ever since the high res flatscreens are on the market, using a computer is much easier for the eyes.

But my dad has extremely bad eyes, so does my sister (worse than mine)... it seems to run in the family and they have not used computers as much as I have; I'm the geek in the family :cool:

Conclusion in this particular case: It's probably a gene thing, although you can never be sure... what if :question:

c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 c_doody_1999
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts
using a computer for long periods can cause many short term eye-problems, lack of blinking when concentrating on an image can cause dry eyes and using the screen for long periods can cause short term eye strain. However, their is no evidence that using a computer screen effects the glasses perscription that you guys are talking about, a perscription is set out as such, .sph(+or-) the spherical power is the macnification factor of the lense, either making the image larger + or smaller - and by how much .cyl (+) this is the cylindrical power of the leanse and corrects an astigmatisum, making an immage appear level rather than slanted .axis (0-180) this is the degree to which the clindrical power must be applyed to produce a correct image for example -4.75 x +1.25 x 134 makes the immage 4.75 times smaller, and corrects the slant of the immage by 134 degrees to a power of 1.25 diopters perscriptions such as these are dependant on factors such as the flexability of the eyes own natural leanse which hardens through a persons life, the ability of the muscles within they eye to flex it and other such factors, they are usually said to be mainly hereditory, in fact just like other muscles they are actually supposed to strengthen with use, thats why they patch a childs good eye of the other is lazy - to force it to work and get stronger. dont worry about using a pc, it wont effect your eyesight
supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

I got bitten in the eye by a dog a number of years ago, yet still seem to have normal vision, Also spend a good deal of time looking at a computer screen, I would like to believe I won't ever have to use glasses, wishful thinking.

WildVanilla22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WildVanilla22

using a computer for long periods can cause many short term eye-problems, lack of blinking when concentrating on an image can cause dry eyes and using the screen for long periods can cause short term eye strain. However, their is no evidence that using a computer screen effects the glasses perscription that you guys are talking about, a perscription is set out as such, .sph(+or-) the spherical power is the macnification factor of the lense, either making the image larger + or smaller - and by how much .cyl (+) this is the cylindrical power of the leanse and corrects an astigmatisum, making an immage appear level rather than slanted .axis (0-180) this is the degree to which the clindrical power must be applyed to produce a correct image for example -4.75 x +1.25 x 134 makes the immage 4.75 times smaller, and corrects the slant of the immage by 134 degrees to a power of 1.25 diopters perscriptions such as these are dependant on factors such as the flexability of the eyes own natural leanse which hardens through a persons life, the ability of the muscles within they eye to flex it and other such factors, they are usually said to be mainly hereditory, in fact just like other muscles they are actually supposed to strengthen with use, thats why they patch a childs good eye of the other is lazy - to force it to work and get stronger. dont worry about using a pc, it wont effect your eyesightc_doody_1999

My ophthalmologistsaid that looking too long at a close objects for a very long time, with time, it will change the muscle in the eyes, and cause a lost of sight...

So its not the screen at fault, but the distance.

Do you disagree?

c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 c_doody_1999
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts
looking at a computer screen would be classed as middle distance viewing, whilst console gaming using a tellie would be middle to long. i think they would be talking, more importantly about when you were constantly straining your eyes to see somthing nomatter what distance you were looking, if your constantly pulling the muscles straining to focus, appart from anything else youl get a banging headache, but im not sure about permanant damage, you might alter your perscription a little but i think the effect would only be temporary, your perscrition will actually alter through many factors, it will not be the same from when you get up as it will when you go to bed. and you are not risking loosing your sight, it will simply be a change in the ability of those muscles to pull on the leanse. believe it or not changes in the eye over time can actually benefit you sight, perscriptions can get better as well as geting worse. does straining your eye perminantly damage rhe muscle? like the muscle in your arm or leg, probably in extreme cases only, but i doubt you could work your eyes that hard. if you have a strong perscription and you wear the proper perscription specks, your sight is being corrected and therefor you arent straining your eyes, as you said, its cerainly not the screene its self doing damage, rather the use of the eye at didtances its not able to be used at. causing strain, and then only in extrieme circumstances.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Cant remember exactly but I have to wear either my glasses or contacts all the time, I cant do anything without them. I cant see a damn thing at distance and if I am more than a foot away from the monitor I cant read anything so I am pretty blind.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Old CRTs maybe did some damage to a lot of peoples eyes but now LCDs do as far as i'm aware zero damage so you can tell the naggy parents to piss off if they constantly badger you about it. I've had mine since i was like 5 because my eye is misshaped. I got no problem seeing at all i can see perfectly well without them until i need to see something that is. :P Nah i got no idea why i still have mine i can see things just as good as my mates who are told they have good vision, even tested it at a Domino's reading the signs away back in the rear of the kitchen.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

I've been wearing glasses since before I had my first PC.

My diopters haven't gotten worse in over 8 years, checked last month.

If you think PCs can have an effect on your sight, you think wrong. My mother asked about that to my optometrist, he said the only PC screens that have a negative effect are CTDs and those are not strictly eye related, other screens don't have any inherently negative effect. If you stress your eyes too much you will have negative effects but that applies for everything, not just computer screens.