For all who are unsure about ARMED ASSAULT

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts

Right well i'll begin by saying i LOVED Operation Flashpoint, me and my bro made dozens of levels, missions and mess around including vehicle mods and such and had great fun and played for many years. Now, I recently played the demo of Armed Assault and to be honest, i was VERY disappointed. It reminded me of a terrible game i once played called Soldat, everything looked arcadey, buggy and i was extremely shocked by how horrible everything was. But my bro was still convinced he wanted to buy it, and he did, yesterday, as i did as well (you need two games to do LAN - CD key stuf). And it's a HUGE improvement over the demo i can assure you...

It's true, it is a hardware demanding game but if you have a good rig and can whack up the graphics, it's astonishing, you can increase the visibility to allow you to see 16km and the shaders, foliage and textures on guns/vehicles is breathtaking, truely breathtaking. I especially love the new 3d iron sights and flying helicopters is even more reaslistic now and if you fly regularly, you can pull off some oustanding maneouvers.

Anyway, bad points - The single-player campaign is... medicore... a wide array of missions and a relatively intriguing story compliment what could be a very tense and tactical campaign, however it is very buggy. Triggers often don't work resulting you having to restart missions, certain items aren't there when they should be etc and so the single-player is quite lackluster. Anyway, given that you have a mission editor and with the huge fan base OFP had, it won't be long til patches, official and unofficial and mods come into the game and bring it to the games full potential.

Graphics, as i say, are breathtaking and i can run it at maximum (everything very high where possible) with the rig in my sig, except no AA. Only visual disappointment would be the fire and smoke textures which are... quite... lame but i'm confident a few mods released in the not too distant future will correct this, as well as the... potentially unlimited new vehicles, cars, boats, aircraft, soldiers, weapons that can be made and included into this game.

As it stands, this is a good game, fantastic visuals, massive modding and online potential and although having a somewhat disappointing campaign.. the mission editor is the main reason to buy this game. If you liked OFP, you'll love this game and if you didn't, try it anyway and see... The main point i want to get across is it's a huge improvement over the demo in terms of visuals, bugs and gameplay... much much better.

Hope this was helpful

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GenTom
no one interested...spent a fair while writing that hehe
alanf85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 alanf85
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Great.

It comes out in a few days here. Unfortunately my P.C is "disabled" at the moment so untill I can save up enough to upgrade there will be no ArmA for me :cry:

Plus any future machine won't be as powefull as yours so I won't be able enjoy it to the full. How important is having 2gb ram over 1gb?

Can't wait to play the game 8)

sj420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 sj420
Member since 2003 • 626 Posts

can you tell me a little more about the multiplayer?

what's the average and max number of players on a server?

i understand it's a one-kill round, is spectacting really that frustrating (i usually enjoy spec)?

how do squads work?  is there a commander?

anything else you want to explain would be appreciated.

tia

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GenTom

can you tell me a little more about the multiplayer? Haven't played online yet, just been playing LAN games with my bro though coop singleplayer missions and games we've made through the mission editor (lots of fun!)

what's the average and max number of players on a server? - Max players on a server is 100, and people can join throughout the game however at this point, being as it's only been out a couple of days, there aren't a great deal of people playing multi (most making missions, mods, single-player) but taht will change, i suspect.

i understand it's a one-kill round, is spectacting really that frustrating (i usually enjoy spec)? Some rounds include respawns and if you die mid-way through a battle you come back as a bird and can freely fly around (just like OFP) you can also choose to observe the entire match from the game menu.

how do squads work?  is there a commander? Squads work exactly like they did in OFP, you can have (i think) up to 9 members of your squad, each assigned to one of your F keys (F1-F9) and you can order than around by typing the appropriate number (1-9) which allows you to control what they do, anythin from boarding/disambarking vehicles to going prone, staying alert and returning to formation (works well)

anything else you want to explain would be appreciated. - Currently Windows XP makes the game go a little faster, as in, Vista does slightly reduce FPS. Er... Joysticks work well with aircraft (especially helicopters) and although a lot of textures, objects are recycled from OFP, generally the game is a great improvement, except for the numerous bugs and crappy fire textures and occasionally the textures messing up lol....

Basically it's a great game, but not very polished at the moment.

tia

sj420
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
I tried the demo and just cant understand why people are hyped about this game.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
I tried the demo and just cant understand why people are hyped about this game.AngelB1ack
Wasn't anything special if you ask me. I don't why especially PC game developers are not concentrating on fun anymore.
-Apples-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Apples-
Member since 2003 • 92 Posts
Well First off the demo doesnt even come close to what the full versions brings.

This is not an arcade fps.  You have to really take your time in moving around in this game, the AI have very good shooting skills.

I dont understand how you dont run AA and AF on max with a 8800.  I have a 7950 and i run every single setting maxed out and it runs great for me.

I grabbed the german version in dec when it came out, and i will be buying the english U.S. release as well.
alanf85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 alanf85

I don't know where you get that there aren't any "fun" games on P.C. By "fun" I guess you mean arcade. There are plenty of games where you can run and jump around with uber guns blowing up funny alien creatures. Some people don't find that "fun" and enjoy a game that has a realistic challenge.

Jeez you'd think we could have one realistic game without others always coming in and running it down because they get baffled by it. 

*end rant.*

GATMAN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GATMAN1
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
thanks for the write up Tom, I would have overlooked this game...
Tequila_Zaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tequila_Zaire
Member since 2002 • 16961 Posts

It's already on my must buy list...I still play OpFlash to death...it has improved so much and I expect the same for ArmA.

It'll take time to fully optimize though...

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GenTom

No problem guys and to the guy saying he's maxed out everything... are you sure? every setting to very high, where it allows, and max visiblity (before it reduces your max texture detail setting) with 8x AA and high AF?

Currently i'm running it with everything on very high, where it allows, high AF and max visibility but and 'low' AA

and if anyone has any further questions about this game feel free to post and i'll try and answer

alanf85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alanf85

No problem guys and to the guy saying he's maxed out everything... are you sure? every setting to very high, where it allows, and max visiblity (before it reduces your max texture detail setting) with 8x AA and high AF?

Currently i'm running it with everything on very high, where it allows, high AF and max visibility but and 'low' AA

and if anyone has any further questions about this game feel free to post and i'll try and answer

GenTom

*drools* :oops:

:cry::cry:

Tequila_Zaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tequila_Zaire
Member since 2002 • 16961 Posts

GenTom

Meh...people always say they are running the game "maxed out" on their rig...so some may see it as beautiful others as a dissapointment.

What I want to know about the full version is this...

Do vehicles now have better optic systems? In OpFlash the engine limited what was possible so you always had some pretty innacurate visability. I remember this being asked to the devs but it was unclear if the mod community will have to add this in...

How is the AI this time around? It's always been a strong suit of the last game but do they react with better tactics now?

How are the enviornments this time out? Are the buildings more interactive? Does the AI use the enviornment better in urban areas?

I have tons of questions but those are enough for now I'd imagine.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts
I'm looking forward to it. I think it's great that they've enabled TrackIR support for the game.  It should make it that much more immersive.

For those of you who don't know what TrackIR is and what it does, here's a link for some TrackIR enabled vids for Armed Assault

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/game-armed-assault.html

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GenTom
[QUOTE="GenTom"]

Tequila_Zaire

Meh...people always say they are running the game "maxed out" on their rig...so some may see it as beautiful others as a dissapointment. -Possibly, but if your looking for a good looking game, this is one to get, if not, the gameplay is still top notch.

What I want to know about the full version is this...

Do vehicles now have better optic systems? In OpFlash the engine limited what was possible so you always had some pretty innacurate visability. I remember this being asked to the devs but it was unclear if the mod community will have to add this in... - sorry i'm not qute sure what your asking? do you mean from the drivers seat what you can see outside or?

How is the AI this time around? It's always been a strong suit of the last game but do they react with better tactics now? - AI, unfortunatly, is not a huge improvement over OFP, i still don't think they can fly planes well, if at all, and, they're still somewhat slow, face wrong directions, get in your way, keep saying 'negative' when you try and get them to board a vehicle, despite them getting in. So, AI, although better, is still a little disapointing, just a bit better than OFP.

How are the enviornments this time out? Are the buildings more interactive? Does the AI use the enviornment better in urban areas? -

Same as OFP really, some buidings allow you in, some don't, some are useful for cover/vantage points as well. The environments are quite similar again to OFP except there is a noticeable difference between the vegetation, architecture and land in the north island to that of the south (more deserty) island. AI don't 'use environments' so much, they do what you command regardless of where you are so.. nothing special there

I have tons of questions but those are enough for now I'd imagine.

Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts
i would get this if i had a better pc and some money, but i dont lol
RoyalPollen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RoyalPollen

i bought this game on friday. i loved ofp too and have been looking forward to this release. it is buggy but i agree nothing that wont be fixed.

ive just bought a new rig and its looking good with full graphics.

time to join one of the fansites to get the new missions and mods.

any suggestions which ones are still active? i remember the editing centre were a good bunch. who else?

St0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 St0
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Just orderd this game on thursday and should be here by tomorow. Really looking forward to it

How well do you think my pc will run it?

My specs are

A64 3200
6800GT
1gig of ram
GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GenTom
Well your gfx card and RAM are in the 'Recommended' specs on the case so.. medium
RoyalPollen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RoyalPollen
ah didn't give my spec,  2 pent d 3.2 ghz, 2 gigs  ram and 1 geforce 7600 gt, raid etc runs fine with full graphics 
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Does it have a US release date yet? I know there was supposed to be a UK release right around now or something, but otherwise all I knew was that they got a publisher. Loved OFP though, so I know I'll love this from my tiny bit of screwing around in the demo.
RoyalPollen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RoyalPollen
i read somewhere may for the states