This topic is locked from further discussion.

ktwq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ktwq
Member since 2003 • 1199 Posts

Hey all,

I just started having an interest in flight simulators like FSX and Falcon 4.0.

Anyone can recommend good joysticks?

Thanks

Avatar image for TheyTookMyWoody
TheyTookMyWoody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheyTookMyWoody
Member since 2008 • 216 Posts

Get the Logitech Attack 3d pro. a great stick that comes with rudder twist (what flight game is complete without rudder control??)

Also not to expensive.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
I have a Saitek Force Feedback :)
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
First off-how much are you willing to spend? Normally, I recommend Hands-On-Throttle-And-Stick (HOTAS) setups. They tend to be a bit pricey, but can be cheap if you opt for older, used sets on eBay. Here's a short list, from least expensive to most expensive: -Saitek X-45 -Saitek X-52 -Saitek X-52 Pro -Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar + gameport pedals (no built-in rudder rocker or twist stick, hence the pedals) -CH Products Fighterstick + Pro Throttle + Pro Pedals (no built-in rudder rocker or twist stick, hence the pedals) -modded Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar (If you've got a few extra hundred US$ to burn, you can replace some of the stick and throttle internals with improved components!) The Saitek stuff is alright for someone who doesn't want to spend too much on flight controls, but programmability is limited in comparison to the Cougar and CH gear. On the other hand, the programming software is easier to use. They also tend to not last quite as long. Still, for 100 US$ or less, you can get yourself a good stick and throttle with some form of rudder control built-in. Saitek also sells a yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder pedals; I'm not sure if you can merge these under one DirectInput ID in software, though. The Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar is very ergonomic, made of metal, and is modeled after the F-16's controls, making it ideal for Falcon 4.0 players. There have been some issues-cheap pots that spike over time (supposedly the X and Y ones; my throttle pot has yet to exhibit spiking, but my stick is modded with the FCC-1), misaligned speedbrake switches (which is an easy fix if you don't mind taking apart the throttle handle, popping out the switch, and filing some edges), and gimbals that develop a bit of play/slop over time (not easily fixable without dropping hundreds on vastly superior gimbal replacements), among others, but if you don't mind those issues too much, it's a very nice piece of kit, made even nicer if you're willing to mod it. It uses a logical programming system, which has a slight learning curve, but offers more versatility than anything else on the market save CH Products USB devices. As for the mods, there are replacement gimbals that offer a smoother feel without the "transition flats" and are meant to be used with more reliable Hall sensors (U2-NXT), force-driven stick replacements that more realistically replicate the feel of a modern jet stick like that in the F-16 (FCC-2, FSSB R1/R2), replacement aluminum throttle bushings that help eliminate some of the "stiction", Hall sensors for the stick, throttle, and Thrustmaster RCS/Elite gameport pedals, and some other things. Not cheap, but you'll have what is just about the best damn HOTAS on the market if you want to go through with it. CH Products sells their flight components individually, and they can be merged in software to present themselves as a single combined controller under one DirectInput ID for those titles that can only see one controller. The products range from yokes to sticks to throttles to a set of rudder pedals to a trackball to a Multi-Function Panel (basically an Ergodex DX1 that works with CH's powerful Control Manager). I find their gear to be a bit less ergonomic than other offerings (the Fighterstick digs into my palm a bit more than the Cougar stick, and the Pro Pedals are a bit narrow), as well as not quite realistic (the F-16-modeled Fighterstick lacks a dual-stage trigger and paddle switch, and the Pro Throttle doesn't seem to be modelled after any particular aircraft throttle), but it's all precise and just works. The Control Manager used with their devices has a full-blown scripting language that allow them to do things that other controllers can only dream of! (Ironically, it was developed by the same person that developed the logical programming system for Thrustmaster's F-22 Pro and HOTAS Cougar.) However, the learning curve is rather high as a result. I should also mention that the Fighterstick has rather light tension and a VERY wide throw, making it ideal for prop jobs and perhaps helicopters as well; the Cougar stick with stock gimbals has slightly less throw and much more tension, and I don't know how the Saitek gear feels. There are also some mods for CH controllers, ranging from added rotaries on the Pro Throttle to a lefty HOTAS if you're a left-hander. Finally, there is one more thing you may want to consider if you're going into flight simulation that is neither stick, yoke, throttle, nor pedals: the NaturalPoint TrackIR 4 Pro (or maybe an older model if you aren't willing to pay 80 US$ or so for one). What that device does is sit on top of your monitor and track any IR light emissions from a hat-mounted clip that you wear on your head. If that sounds too complex, just look at Johnny Chung Lee's Wiimote head-tracking demos-it's pretty much the exact same principle at work, only it's a Wiimote instead of a TrackIR device. It's very popular among flight simulators, since head-tracking does wonders for one's situational awareness. Instead of futzing around with the joystick's hat switch, you just glance in the direction you want to look at! Simple and intuitive, not to mention that you could put that hat switch to better use!