Fixing a PS2 wth Disk Error Read, in need of some quick advice?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Satanmar (1540 posts) -
Hey,

I'm currently in the process of fixing a Disk Error Read for a PS2 that I got from a friend. But theres a problem, I'm currently using a guide (http://www.tweak3d.net/joomla/tutorials/hardware-repair/playstation-2-repair_4) to clean things up. Now theres a problem, the PS2 I'm working on must have been a newer version then the one being shown in this guide because it does not seem to have a white gear within the disk tray area, and it doesn't have that pain in the back power lead (which is a good thing)

I've looked on the internet and I can't seem to find any guide suited for this PS2, now if anyone could possibly help me out with a bit of information then that would be great. I'm at a limit on what I can do using those guides simply because it's a different version and I have no white gear in the Disk Tray.

Thanks in advance!
#2 Posted by tantalus4 (452 posts) -
get one of those cd lens cleaners
#3 Posted by Satanmar (1540 posts) -
get one of those cd lens cleanerstantalus4
The lens as been cleaned!
#4 Posted by Satanmar (1540 posts) -
I have found out how to adjust the height and angle of the lens, it as two white gears instead of one...... this could take sometime.... I'm probably get a new slimeline next week anyways!
#5 Posted by Satanmar (1540 posts) -
lol, not sure if I have the patience this time around, tried everything that every guide offers.... to be fully honest looks like the lens could be broke. The disk runs but nothing, just eventually stops and gives up! tried some adjusting which did nothing and have cleaned it..... I've checked the arm of the lens and thats perfectly connected..... so it's got to be the lens!
#6 Posted by jakinja (201 posts) -
Intresting, I believe you've lit a fire under my @ss!  I'm gonna have to tear mine apart and see what I can do to fix my errors.  My machine will play all old games, and dvds, but anything new it either wont reead the disk, or it will skip while watching dvds.  Thanks for the links, I may PM you as well if I have any questions, is that okay?
#7 Posted by Satanmar (1540 posts) -
Intresting, I believe you've lit a fire under my @ss!  I'm gonna have to tear mine apart and see what I can do to fix my errors.  My machine will play all old games, and dvds, but anything new it either wont reead the disk, or it will skip while watching dvds.  Thanks for the links, I may PM you as well if I have any questions, is that okay?jakinja
Not sure how much help I can provide, I'm currently working on a SCPH-50003 Model PS2 which as two white gears instead of the normal one and for some reason theres nothing about it on the world wide web? Very confusing, been working on it since 11am this morning..... Kind of glad I'm getting a new one next week! That guide is useful though!
#8 Posted by Satanmar (1540 posts) -
lol, the disk drive at first speeds up really fast then just dies? I have no idea whats wrong with this?
#9 Posted by dmanrevived (1595 posts) -
I think all drives speed up to read a disc first. If it fails, then it'll stop.
#10 Posted by Satanmar (1540 posts) -
I think all drives speed up to read a disc first. If it fails, then it'll stop.dmanrevived
I'm going to try the two click process, you click the two white gears twice and then try a game, then if it doesn't read do another two notches.... a lengthy process but theres nothing else I can try!
#11 Posted by Satanmar (1540 posts) -
I've given up for now, totally tired out.... tried everthing and it looks as if the lens is broke.... Night!
#12 Posted by cleet123 (57 posts) -
OK I too have done everything I can think of on this issue with my fat old ps2 model 50001 I cleaned it adjusted it about a week ago and worked for audio Cd's and ps1 games now I got rubbing alchoul I cleaned it using that in hopes a ps2 game would work. However I found that the laser arm the screwy looking rod that it sits on stopped turn so the laser won't move at all anymore! Any one have advice on how to remedy this?I am not stupid I do quite a bit with electronics just lack a few basics of electrical knowledge.
#13 Posted by cleet123 (57 posts) -
ignore this I found I just had to plug in the dvd drive motor lol. New topic....]
#14 Posted by cleet123 (57 posts) -
alright I have a half working ps2 I can run audio discs and ps1 games I have a ps2 game but it fails to run it. Same model 50001 fat ps2. I have looked on-line for various fixes but nothing seems to wanna work. I only have blank Cd's and DVDs. I tried loading stuff from my mp3 player being the only usb device drive i have but to no avail. Any help would be greatly welcome
#15 Posted by vivalaleta (25 posts) -
Okay, I think we (my two sons and I) have a REALLY old PS2 - model # 39001 - does it matter? It won't read ANY disk at present. We have taken it apart as instructed and cleaned it but that did not help (although it was filthy). What it does is it tries to read the disk once then in the middle of the second try it aborts and won't ry again. Do we just need to shell out for a new console? (we are very poor) ):