First upgrade. What should I get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Neagus98 (86 posts) -

Hi guys, its my birthday soon and I'll be getting some new parts for my pc. I was thinking about getting a second 7850 and an FX 8350, what do you guys think?

Current rig:

8GB ram

500 GB hdd

AMD FX 6100

Radeon 7850

Asrock 970 Extreme4

700W PSU

#2 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

I wouldn't bother with a new CPU but that's up to you.

#3 Posted by Neagus98 (86 posts) -

Is that cause there wouldn't be much difference? And do you recommend getting something else instead?

#4 Posted by soolkiki (1783 posts) -

If you're going to upgrade anything, get the gpu.Though get a single one like a 7950 or 7970.

#5 Posted by 04dcarraher (22484 posts) -
I would crossfire that 7850.
#6 Posted by 5SI-GonePostal (390 posts) -

I will be honest and say ask for money and get a more worth while update in the future.  A proper CPU change will need a new mobo (as there is no reason really to go AMD, you would see pretty minimal if any boost (not saying AMD is bad just there isnt anything that would improve your rig that much)).  A 7850 is still a very capable GPU and again not really needed to update - i use a 560Ti and still play pretty much every game in high.  The only GPU worth getting would be a 7970 or 670 and then you wouldnt see that much of an improvement.  An SSD would certainly make your rig feel faster, but other than that i would really say just hold on to your money for now you still have a pretty good system.

#7 Posted by Neagus98 (86 posts) -

I probably wont go intel, I have an OEM version of windows and I saw the dramatic price increase for W8 and it seemed a bit too steep. The only reason I wanted to get a new CPU is because when I'm playing borderlands 2, I have slight jittering in-game. Would that be something else then?

And I'll probably end up crossfiring my 7850 seen as it went down in price by 70 euros since I bought mine. But I'll have a look at the price for a 7950 or 7970 anyway. How much would I get for a used 7850?

Thanks for the help in advance! (:

#8 Posted by 5SI-GonePostal (390 posts) -

I probably wont go intel, I have an OEM version of windows and I saw the dramatic price increase for W8 and it seemed a bit too steep. The only reason I wanted to get a new CPU is because when I'm playing borderlands 2, I have slight jittering in-game. Would that be something else then?

And I'll probably end up crossfiring my 7850 seen as it went down in price by 70 euros since I bought mine. But I'll have a look at the price for a 7950 or 7970 anyway. How much would I get for a used 7850?

Neagus98

Yeh I would think the Borderlands 2 is something else - last time i played it was on q9550, 4gb and a 560Ti without any problems on high settings at 1080.  A 6100FX should be giving my aging intel cpu a run for its money if not beating it.  You havent turned on PhysX by accident?  This would cause a few problems like this on that setup. 

#9 Posted by mitu123 (155035 posts) -
I would crossfire that 7850.04dcarraher
Best answer here.
#10 Posted by Neagus98 (86 posts) -

Okay, I'll check the things for BL2, thanks. I'll crossfire my 7850 and get an SSD then. Thanks for the info guys!

#11 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12901 posts) -
Get an SSD and go Crossfire. Also maybe get a decent cooler and OC the CPU as far as possible.
#12 Posted by Hastur (1337 posts) -

@OP

If I were you, I would buy a Solid State Drive. At least one for your OS. But I just bought a second one of 250 Gigs, for my multi player games. My games load a lot quicker now.

#13 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

The FX-6100 is fine as a gaming CPU. Get a new GPU. I'd say crossfire with another one, or really treat yourself and get a 7970.

Edit:  Dont mean to be rude by when asking for upgrade questions.. or anything performance related.. why do ppl never mention resolution?  What is the resolution you play at??

#14 Posted by mrmarrero (339 posts) -

Get an SSD and go Crossfire. Also maybe get a decent cooler and OC the CPU as far as possible.V4LENT1NE

Couldn't agree more...

#15 Posted by mitu123 (155035 posts) -

why do ppl never mention resolution? 

Elann2008

I agree, it helps a lot.

#16 Posted by Primordialous (1313 posts) -

If you're going to upgrade anything, get the gpu.Though get a single one like a 7950 or 7970.

soolkiki

7950 is probably more worth the cash over a 7970, imo

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#17 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6472 posts) -

[QUOTE="Neagus98"]

5SI-GonePostal

Yeh I would think the Borderlands 2 is something else - last time i played it was on q9550, 4gb and a 560Ti without any problems on high settings at 1080.  A 6100FX should be giving my aging intel cpu a run for its money if not beating it.  You havent turned on PhysX by accident?  This would cause a few problems like this on that setup. 

borderlands 2 does better on fast cpus with more than 4 cores.  My 3770k actually handles physx in borderlands 2 at high settings (I have this game on steam and set the physx settings to high) and it runs pretty well.  An fx-6100 is much weaker but has 6 cores so it might do alright with physx as well.

#18 Posted by Neagus98 (86 posts) -

The FX-6100 is fine as a gaming CPU. Get a new GPU. I'd say crossfire with another one, or really treat yourself and get a 7970.

Edit:  Dont mean to be rude by when asking for upgrade questions.. or anything performance related.. why do ppl never mention resolution?  What is the resolution you play at??

Elann2008

Sorry, forgot to mention that- I play at 1920x1080

And what are the benefits of a 7970 over 2 7850's?

#19 Posted by mitu123 (155035 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Neagus98

Sorry, forgot to mention that- I play at 1920x1080

And what are the benefits of a 7970 over 2 7850's?

No Crossfire issues is the only one, otherwise the Crossfired 7850s are way, way faster, like 20+FPS even.

#20 Posted by mark552495786 (69 posts) -

If you're going to upgrade anything, get the gpu.Though get a single one like a 7950 

#21 Posted by soolkiki (1783 posts) -

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

Primordialous

7950 is probably more worth the cash over a 7970, imo

I'm aware. Some people still like the bit of extra power from the 7970. Nothing wrong with recommending it. But it looks like op already knows what he's going to get.

#22 Posted by Darkman2007 (17928 posts) -

actually I have a similar question , Im also looking to upgrade my PC in the near future, but Im not sure what part should be replaced first (since I can really only upgrade it in stages

ASUS M4N68T-M LE v2 Motherboard

550W PSU

Phenom II X6 1055T

4GB DDR3

ASUS 6870 DirectCU 1GB

on first glance Im thinking of a new graphics card ( maybe a 7870XT , due to good reviews and such), but the CPU and motherboard(especially) are not good and might bottleneck it (the motherboard is only PCI-E X16), so Im not sure what should be my first upgrade (what would give me the biggest boost now).

maybe someone here can help me on this one ,and if possible ,  suggest a decent alternative to this CPU/motherboard , as long as the price isn't too crazy.

#23 Posted by 04dcarraher (22484 posts) -

actually I have a similar question , Im also looking to upgrade my PC in the near future, but Im not sure what part should be replaced first (since I can really only upgrade it in stages

550W PSU

Phenom II X6 1055T

4GB DDR3

ASUS 6870 DirectCU 1GB

on first glance Im thinking of a new graphics card ( maybe a 7870XT , due to good reviews and such), but the CPU and motherboard(especially) are not good and might bottleneck it (the motherboard is only PCI-E X16), so Im not sure what should be my first upgrade (what would give me the biggest boost now).

maybe someone here can help me on this one ,and if possible ,  suggest a decent alternative to this CPU/motherboard , as long as the price isn't too crazy.

Darkman2007
Your cpu and motherboard is just fine to handle a 7870xt,
#24 Posted by Darkman2007 (17928 posts) -
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

550W PSU

Phenom II X6 1055T

4GB DDR3

ASUS 6870 DirectCU 1GB

04dcarraher

will I see a decent enough improvement over the 6870? (judging from reviews and such , its a decent investment), or can you think of a better card for a similar price?
#25 Posted by FaustArp (1036 posts) -

Go to a faster single card.

Get a 7950 or 7970.

#26 Posted by mastershake575 (8394 posts) -

This is a tough question. Your CPU/Ram are fine and your video card isnt bad at all (its a good sub $200 card). A 7950 would be great but then your parents are paying $300 for a video card that will give similiar results (since your card can run pretty much everything at 1080p). I would either try to see if you can get money (which you can save) or crossfiring another 7850 might not be a bad idea (espically since they don't use much power). Only get the 7950 if you are sure that you can sell your old card

#27 Posted by 04dcarraher (22484 posts) -
[QUOTE="04dcarraher"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

550W PSU

Phenom II X6 1055T

4GB DDR3

ASUS 6870 DirectCU 1GB

Darkman2007

will I see a decent enough improvement over the 6870? (judging from reviews and such , its a decent investment), or can you think of a better card for a similar price?

Actually going from a 6870 to a 7870 at 1080 resolution anywhere from a 10 to 40 fps gain depending on the game