First PC build with parts all picked out, what do you think?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jamiebullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jamiebullen
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

So think I've finally narrowed everything down and picked out all of the parts that I will want for a new gaming PC. Hopefully my tax return will cover the majority of it since it got a little more expensive than I originally planned. I just have a couple of questions since I'm not too terribly computer savvy. It seems like the 2500K is the processor for me since I plan on doing 75% gaming, 25% whatever else. I really don't think I need a hexa-core processor, or even the 2600K. Does that sound about right? I plan on being able to add an additional 8GB of RAM if I ever need to, as well as pop in another 7950 card when the price drops and I feel like dual video carding it. Will that motherboard support 2x7950s, and do you think that power supply will be able to handle the both of them? I don't plan on having too many different drives, so I think a mid size case will also work, correct? Lastly, they have factory overclocked video cards for about 30 bucks more, is that worth it? Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K ($230)

Heat Sink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Evo ($35)

MoBo: ASRock P67 Extreme4 ($150)

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 ($50)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit ($450)

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series 900W ($130)

Hard Drive 1: OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB SATA III ($140)

Hard Drive 2: Western Digital 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache 3GB/s ($160)

Disc Drive: Asus 24x DVD Burner ($24)

Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower ($100)

Monitor: Asus 23.6" 1080P LCD Monitor ($170)

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
Everything looks great, mobo & PSU would support two cards, paying more for factory OC is not worth it unless you are absolutely sure you can't be bothered to do it yourself. Usually factory OCed cards come with better cooling designs though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Looks nice.

jonleeprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jonleeprice
Member since 2011 • 1455 Posts

Hey good job your going for a 2500k Anything else bar i7's wont even run pacman ;)

jamiebullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jamiebullen
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Is there much of a difference in brands of the components? Newegg has the 7950 in pretty much everything but EVGA. I notice that it seems like they have different cooling systems on them, but that's about it.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#7 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Are you going to spend all that much money and go for a $170 monitor?? Go for dell 23" IPS monitor atleast.

And what about audio? What are you gonna have for it? Why no sound card?

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
The Antec Nine Hundred was a mediocre case when it came out several years ago. These days it's pretty much utter garbage.
jcbullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jcbullen
Member since 2008 • 865 Posts
Well what would you suggest in its place?
jcbullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jcbullen
I'm going for that monitor because it's the highest rated inexpensive monitor of that size. I've got a Logitech 5.1 system connected to my computer and I will probably be using an hdmi cable to connect to my entertainment center for the most part so I'll let that deal with sound. I'm open to suggestions though
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#11 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Well what would you suggest in its place?jcbullen
HAF 922 is a much better case for the same price.

As for monitor and sound it's your choice, you are going all out on the PC parts and skimping on A/V, well thats quite normal I guess.

Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

Looks great, 2500k is an awesome processor, but I agree with the other posters apart from the case, I've heard nothing but good things from the antec 900 and I don't think it will disappoint, however the HAF 922 case is also very nice and in my opinion looks better, I used this case when building a system for my friend and it was very practical and good looking but it's up to you, however this is coming from someone who buys cheap £15 cases for his own builds :P

Don't go for a factory overclocked card; that money could easily be spent elsewhere as you can easily overclock yourself using a user-friendly program like Rivatuner.

Lastly, that motherboard if I believe correct can support up to 3 graphics cards in crossfire so it should handle 2 no problem, however I'm not a fan of SLI/ Crossfire and would go with just one card and a slightly lower wattage power supply - about 600W would do the job fine for one of those cards and it'd be cheaper. I'm a budget builder so I always have cash in mind first, so it's up to you whether to listen to me or not :P

jcbullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jcbullen

That HAF case is pretty sweet looking, seems like it does the job of keeping everything cool as well. I might end up getting the SB Audigy card, it'd only be another 30 bucks. Also, since I plan on using my TV a lot, I dont really want to spend much money on a monitor. The asus seems like it will get the job done well.

Having an overpowered power supply wouldn't be a bad thing would it? I'm going with such high wattage so that I have more options down the road, although I'm not commited to doing anything in particular. Thanks for all of the input guys.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

I've heard nothing but good things from the antec 900 and I don't think it will disappoint...

Ikavnieks
Then no offense but you haven't been looking very hard or you're looking at paid reviews from 2006 when the case launched. Features we take for granted these days weren't used in the Nine Hundred, and space considerations were quite a bit different. The Nine Hundred is a shoddy case by today's standards, you'll find better features and more space in $40 Rosewill cases right now.