First Director's Cut Now Definitive Edition?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Has anyone else noticed this new business practice by Square Enix? First with Deus Ex HR, they come out with the Director's Cut which vastly improves the problems the original game had. Now with Tomb Raider they are coming out with the Definitive Version (no PC version at this time). Instead of fixing their original game with a patch, they are selling those fixes and calling it a new version.

Currently with all the reliance of day 1 patches to fix our games, I'm wondering how long it'll be before we're paying for patches - though you could argue that with Square Enix, we already are.

What do you all think of this?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Cwagmire21 said:

Has anyone else noticed this new business practice by Square Enix? First with Deus Ex HR, they come out with the Director's Cut which vastly improves the problems the original game had. Now with Tomb Raider they are coming out with the Definitive Version (no PC version at this time). Instead of fixing their original game with a patch, they are selling those fixes and calling it a new version.

Currently with all the reliance of day 1 patches to fix our games, I'm wondering how long it'll be before we're paying for patches - though you could argue that with Square Enix, we already are.

Ever heard of DLC Quest? it's pretty neat game, you should look for it =)

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

You can make an arguement for Deus Ex, but Tomb Raider is a different version of a game that came out last year. If you don't like it, then vote with your wallet.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cwagmire21

@PredatorRules said:

@Cwagmire21 said:

Ever heard of DLC Quest? it's pretty neat game, you should look for it =)

Haha that's perfect. Thank you :D

@JangoWuzHere said:

You can make an arguement for Deus Ex, but Tomb Raider is a different version of a game that came out last year. If you don't like it, then vote with your wallet.

Wasn't given the option - the definitive version is only coming out for XBONE and PS4. I only brought it up as it seems like this is a trend we will continue to see from Square Enix. I wonder if Sleeping Dogs will be next with its brand-new remake! /sarcasm

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

It's all semantics and this is, if their developer interviews are accurate, legitimately the definitively best version of Tomb Raider. I see nothing wrong with that. These are two different generations of hardware and they had to rework a lot of it.

I agree with the complaint for Deus Ex, but not for this.

Besides that, games have been released as 'Game of the Year' bundles for a very long time. What's the difference?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@Cwagmire21:

Well. The director's cut had more than just "boss fight fixes." And they were only asking for a $5 price point for those that already owns Deus Ex: HR. I don't think that's asking for much for all the improvements plus all the DLCs that would have cost money separately anyways. Missing Link DLC alone costs over $3 without a steam sale. A lot of people who own Deus Ex: HR are probably done with it and they won't even bother with the $5 director's cut. I don't see the big deal at all. I'm not saying you're making it a big deal but that's where I disagree. :)

I'd argue on Square Enix's behalf here. Do they not drop the prices on their games to an incredibly low sale price? Often, you will find their titles for less than $10 and they usually happen relatively fast after release. With the exception of Hitman: Absolution, Dungeon Siege 3, and Kane & Lynch 2, their games have been very good. Even then, the crappier titles go on sale for dirt cheap so it doesn't even matter.

One thing I do agree on is the "patch." The boss fight improvements should have been a free patch. For those that do not know, these are separate improvements from the other boss fight patch they released near the time of their release. It incorporates all gameplay styles and improved level design layout for boss fights. But like I said, those that finished the game probably won't revisit just to play improved boss fights. The game is pretty old now.

Like guynamedbilly said, publishers release GOTY versions/editions with improvements and it's a common practice.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cwagmire21

@guynamedbilly said:

It's all semantics and this is, if their developer interviews are accurate, legitimately the definitively best version of Tomb Raider. I see nothing wrong with that. These are two different generations of hardware and they had to rework a lot of it.

I agree with the complaint for Deus Ex, but not for this.

Besides that, games have been released as 'Game of the Year' bundles for a very long time. What's the difference?

GOTY editions are often comprised of DLC that you can buy individually to have the "GOTY" experience. They're selling this "definitive edition" as a whole new game. If you paid $60 for the original TR, you'll be paying an additional $60 for the definitive. Just seems off-putting IMO. Am I missing other games that actually have these GOTY editions with improvements not available to the original consumer? I've always just seen DLC added with these GOTY - or the improvements were available with a free patch.