Firefox 3: Download it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mracoon
Member since 2008 • 967 Posts

Yes, the latest version of Mozilla's web browser comes out today (17th June) and this time the creator are trying to set a world record. They want to get the most dowloads in a 24hr period. Wether you use Firefox or not I think everyone should download it just to help support open-source companies and to reduce IE's dominance in the market.

The new version will be released at 17:00 GMT (which is 10:00 PDT, 18:00 BST, 19:00 CET and I don't know any others) and you can download it from Firefox website.

EDIT: The time has past and you can now download it.

s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts
Yes, already pledged. Will definitely download it... but when is the Launch day ??????????? 17 June ? Im already living & breathing in 17th June... & it's gonna be 18th of june after 4 hours in my country.... Why are the western so behind =0
wizard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 wizard90
Member since 2007 • 1464 Posts
No its Firefox 2 that is out for download on the site, im sure 3 is still in beta and im not getting because of that, and im not making a 'pledge' to anyone, dont misinform us
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Well I already use/used the beta for a month now so nothing new for me ;) I will download it because it may contain different security fixes but it won't be anything major from what I already use. I will probably download it in the near future just to have the final version but atm I don't really care.
s_emi_xxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 s_emi_xxxxx
Member since 2005 • 1058 Posts
What would happen if We pledge.. & Not download it on the Launch day.. we die ? just wondering...
vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

Ive used every beta and release candidate as soon as they came out. Firefox is by far the best browser Ive used and Ive tried them all so yes i will definitly be getting it as soon as it comes out.

Dont forget Nightly Tester Tools if you have any extensions that dont work from FF2 to FF3

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
North korea has 300+ pledges xD!
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust

What would happen if We pledge.. & Not download it on the Launch day.. we die ? just wondering...s_emi_xxxxx

You will be kicked off of the Firefox website XD.

No seriously now, they will send you a brand new PC with quad core and SLI ;).
BladeMaster84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BladeMaster84
Member since 2008 • 533 Posts

I think the pledge thing is just to get an idea of about how many download there will probably be.

In any event, I'll download it if I get the chance, I don't really like Firefox but I use it occasionally.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mracoon

No its Firefox 2 that is out for download on the site, im sure 3 is still in beta and im not getting because of that, and im not making a 'pledge' to anyone, dont misinform uswizard90

It's defiantely Firefox 3. Got to the website and you'll see.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts
I just pledged. I love Firefox. It is way better than IE.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Pledged!
stevew84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stevew84
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
i am using firefox 3 as we speak
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I'll be getting it.

OpenSource FTW!

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts
Meh, isn't there an automatic update or something?
vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

Meh, isn't there an automatic update or something?artur79

Its been asked a few times but never seen it answered - will auto updates count towards the world record?

Anyone know?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mracoon

[QUOTE="artur79"]Meh, isn't there an automatic update or something?vitriolboy

Its been asked a few times but never seen it answered - will auto updates count towards the world record?

Anyone know?

That would be much easier.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts
I've been using Firefox 3 since beta 4. It is considerably faster than FF2 and lightyears ahead of IE. I've convinced everyone in my family to download it when it's released.
regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts
IE7 is also free.
techpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 techpunk
Member since 2004 • 390 Posts

[QUOTE="wizard90"]No its Firefox 2 that is out for download on the site, im sure 3 is still in beta and im not getting because of that, and im not making a 'pledge' to anyone, dont misinform usmracoon

It's defiantely Firefox 3. Got to the website and you'll see.

I don't see it. Some blog I just saw said noon CST. I'm CST and it's ~11:10am. I'll check back.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BlueBirdTS

IE7 is also free.regnumekal

Are you an enemy of open source development? Firefox 3 is not only much better in just about every way, it also isn't run by a corporate monopoly. That alone makes it worth the 30 second download.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mracoon

[QUOTE="regnumekal"]IE7 is also free.BlueBirdTS

Are you an enemy of open source development? Firefox 3 is not only much better in just about every way, it also isn't run by a corporate monopoly. That alone makes it worth the 30 second download.

Exactly why peoplle should support it.

pwilletts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 pwilletts
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts
Using it as I type this and its pretty sweet.
regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

[QUOTE="regnumekal"]IE7 is also free.BlueBirdTS

That's some lame excuse for not using IE7.

1. You can't deny that IE7 is also free

2. You can't demonstrate that open-source is always better than closed-source, you can't even demonstrate that it is in the majority of the cases

3. You can't force your conception on others. For example you said "Firefox 3 is not only much better in just about every way". Excuse me dude - I have installed both FF and IE, so I can do the comparation by myself.

4. If it's done by Microsoft that doesn't mean that it's bad quality, it often proves to be the exact opposite.

5. Microsoft doesn't care if you use FF or IE, as long as it's on their Windows OS, because they don't receive money for IE.

6. Hey ! It's not even Microsoft's fault that they are monopolistic. You should try to find the guilty ones in the form of Apple and whoever cre4ated Linux.

7. The "Download FF3" campaign is also one of the most lame ones. The guys behind Firefox are making money without even spending some, like Microsoft does. All the advertisement is made by some enthusiastic users that never understood economics.

8. I f you hate so much the corporations, why don't you throw all your stuff, starting with the monitor in front of you?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mracoon
It's now available to download.
rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Site isn't working for me unfortunately, I'll just wait until later.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BlueBirdTS
[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="regnumekal"]IE7 is also free.regnumekal

2. You can't demonstrate that open-source is always better than closed-source, you can't even demonstrate that it is in the majority of the cases

3. You can't force your conception on others. For example you said "Firefox 3 is not only much better in just about every way". Excuse me dude - I have installed both FF and IE, so I can do the comparation by myself.

4. If it's done by Microsoft that doesn't mean that it's bad quality, it often proves to be the exact opposite.

5. Microsoft doesn't care if you use FF or IE, as long as it's on their Windows OS, because they don't receive money for IE.

6. Hey ! It's not even Microsoft's fault that they are monopolistic. You should try to find the guilty ones in the form of Apple and whoever cre4ated Linux.

7. The "Download FF3" campaign is also one of the most lame ones. The guys behind Firefox are making money without even spending some, like Microsoft does. All the advertisement is made by some enthusiastic users that never understood economics.

8. I f you hate so much the corporations, why don't you throw all your stuff, starting with the monitor in front of you?

We don't have to agree and that's fine. If Firefox was inferior to IE I wouldn't support it, but since that isn't the case, I try and support open source software when it benefits me. Also, how is Linux a monopoly? You make some good points, I just don't agree with all of them.

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts
Well I can't get on Mozilla's site, must be alot of traffic. How would it be faster though? I mean my internet already opens pages basically instantly.
Rune_295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rune_295
Member since 2005 • 173 Posts

I apparently hate free things.

Wait, since when did we pay for web browsers?

oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
website.....omg so slow
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
i just installed it. thanks for the heads up.
Livebythesword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Livebythesword
Member since 2003 • 714 Posts
There servers cannot handle the load right now... I would reccomend waiting and downloading it later... I consistantly get page errors. :P Can't wait to give it a spin though...
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DanielDust

If you want to skip all the trouble and just download it here it is:

(US)

name294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 name294
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts
uhh, the link isn't working
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DanielDust

It is working, but unlike the normal method, "go on the website press on buttons, search for it and then download it", this method won't give you errors because the website is overrun, this method will take some time to load but it WILL work, it won't give you an error that the page is missing or that you have problems with your internet connection.

Just be patient, IT WORKS.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fireandcloud
i just clicked on your u.s. link, and it works fine. maybe i have super internet connection or something.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78b683675c5
deactivated-5d78b683675c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d78b683675c5
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts
I never used Firefox because IE worked fine for me and felt that I didn't have any reason to switch. After downloading Firefox 3 and using it for a little while......why is it so much better? It's not faster than IE and nothing in Firefox really stands out, imo.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts
Damn it! Installed it but now most of my extensions are now disabled as they're incompatible. Irritating!
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts
This isn't even the final release. It is just Release Candidate 3. A Pre-Release. I don't notice any improvement over 2 anyway, besides the fact the most of my addons don't work now.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DanielDust

Yeah sorry for that they didn't update the F-in download.

Here it is (Firefox 3.0) and it's not RC 3.

Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts
[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="regnumekal"]IE7 is also free.regnumekal

1. IE7 isn't free. You must own Windows which isn't free.

2. He didn't state that open source always is better. But in many cases it just is.

3. Firefox has been proven to be faster and safer by tests. It also supports more web standards.

4. No, Microsoft often delivers buggy and underperforming products, even if we exclude their operating systems.

5. They do. Microsoft has the whole time tried making their own standards to keep the monopoly going. They've tried to make their own web standards and skipped support for international once.

6. ^

7. I can't understand what the problem is with this one... ???

Apparently won't there be any automatic update...
The only bad thing is that almost all my Addons doesn't work. Well there will be coming updates for those too.

stevew84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 stevew84
just went to that link to download at the mozilla site and they have firefox 2.0 on there...then test drive 3.0 sooooo its not there yet.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fireandcloud

just went to that link to download at the mozilla site and they have firefox 2.0 on there...then test drive 3.0 sooooo its not there yet.stevew84

? so go ahead and test drive 3.0. i am.

stevew84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 stevew84

when i pull up Help and About Firefox this is what it says...so i already have the real version on 3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#45 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

Always been using Firefox, btw here a nice comparison between Memory Usage of Internet Explorer and Firefox

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
I tried the beta, but HATED the "awesome bar" (the adress bar). If there is a way to make the adress bar like FF2 then I'll download it. Other wise, FF2 for me.
Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lilgunney612
Member since 2005 • 1878 Posts
i downloaded it..
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
ok i downloaded and take a look at algeria 666 downloads lol must be a work of the devil!!!
grim1813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 grim1813
Member since 2005 • 431 Posts
It's been out for a while. The only difference is that today is Download Day. I only use Firefox, and I downloaded the beta today.
FPS_Gamer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 FPS_Gamer123
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
Just downloaded it.