Finally a new build

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
I've been putting this off since last year when I found out I could claim computer parts via my benefits (nevermind that a 7970 isn't really required for 'professional development', they don't have to know that). This is what I've got picked out right now. Some of the things I included on there to be complete, as I already own the power supply, got the SSD cheap last year, and have the case sitting wrapped beside me. Everything else could change, though the video card, memory, and motherboard are all things I haven't completely decided on. The video card has been the trickiest as the free games deal seems to have been running out at a lot of online retailers - Tiger Direct is the only one left for Canada that seems to have any cards with the freebie games at all. Any suggestions? I hear there's some plain Samsung memory that's pretty good for overclocking although it's cheapest via amazon.com and there are no really good Canadian alternatives. By the time I factor in currency conversion, duty, and shipping, it's cheaper to just buy low profile Vengeance memory. I also hear that WD Blacks can be noisy and a Blue may be a better bet, though I have a feeling with that case and video card a tiny bit of noise from the hard drive isn't likely to bother me.
#2 Posted by Blicen (1810 posts) -

The only thing that stuck out like a sore thumb to me was your selection of a H77 motherboard being paired with a 3570k, I would recommend taking an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 as a motherboard.

I've never really noticed much noise from my WD Black, but I'm generally always wearing a headset anyways when I'm using my computer. Replace the H77 though with a Z77 series motherboard and you should be good to go.

#3 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
Whoops, I didn't catch that myself - I probably should have, though, given that the price seemed a bit low. Thanks for pointing it out.
#4 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
Modified it a bit, got my orders in, now it's just a matter of waiting. I'm pretty excited. At stock reference clocks the XFX 7970 wasn't my first choice but it was the only card I could find anywhere that still had the Never Settle game bundle attached to it (and it was decently priced too). I assume it'll overclock to at least other factory overclocked cards, though, so I'm not too worried. It's not as if it's a reference cooler design, at least. Also dropped the CPU cooler down to the Cooler Master Hyper EVO. About a third of the price of the Noctua, maybe not the same level of cooling, but an added bonus of being a little less ugly. Will post pictures as I build.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#5 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6676 posts) -

bro, if your work is paying for it you might as well get an i7 3960k, and another 7970 in crossfire. Just some advice.

#6 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

bro, if your work is paying for it you might as well get an i7 3960k, and another 7970 in crossfire. Just some advice.

blaznwiipspman1
+1 on the 7970, but I would get 3 nice displays for a triple monitor setup instead of an i7-3960X. I wouldn't rob my job for the upgrades though, lol...
#7 Posted by mooreallty (25 posts) -
good,if your work is paying for it you might as well get an i7 3960k, and another 7970 in crossfire. Just some advice.thanks
#8 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -

blaznwiipspman1
It's tempting but my pool of credits is only so big and I've already exhausted them (if I didn't have any I would have a much cheaper build). Would a second 7970 even run on my 750w supply?
#9 Posted by Horgen (116350 posts) -
I don't think it will. You will be just short of power I believe.
#10 Posted by enzyme36 (3022 posts) -

The only thing that stuck out like a sore thumb to me was your selection of a H77 motherboard being paired with a 3570k, I would recommend taking an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 as a motherboard.

I've never really noticed much noise from my WD Black, but I'm generally always wearing a headset anyways when I'm using my computer. Replace the H77 though with a Z77 series motherboard and you should be good to go.

Blicen

I just built a 3570k with teh Z77 Extreme 6 mobo... one easy build, one sweet mobo

#11 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
Got the parts over the last few days, put it together tonight. Too tired to do any benchmarks, just happy it all works without issue (first time building completely from scratch). Might clean up some of the tags on cables and some of the cable management tomorrow, I was in a bit of a hurry tonight. ibmVkDuqotaXTr.jpgibbYagAKQaqiy8.jpg New case is a lot bigger than my old one. i9dUE7wGQtkNC.jpg