Final review before purchase

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 10knuckles01 (165 posts) -

buying this in next few weeks

glaze over it,, opinions greatly appreciated!!

wanna play new games on high settings,, single monitor

http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/raTw

#2 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
The parts list doesn't show anything.
#3 Posted by 10knuckles01 (165 posts) -

how bout now.. i changed it

#4 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Looks great man. Nice choice going with Intel SSD. I know it's Australian prices, so things can get really expensive there. Any way you can get a 750w PSU for a decent price?
#5 Posted by 10knuckles01 (165 posts) -

$40 more for antec 750w

#6 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

$40 more for antec 750w

10knuckles01
It's up to you. If it were me, I would feel like I'm on the edge with a 650w, let alone a 620w psu.
#7 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12901 posts) -
[QUOTE="10knuckles01"]

$40 more for antec 750w

Elann2008
It's up to you. If it were me, I would feel like I'm on the edge with a 650w, let alone a 620w psu.

Why? Even a 500W PSU would run that rig fine. GPUs are nowhere near as power hungry as they used to be, same with everything else, no need to waste money on a 750W PSU.
#8 Posted by ionusX (25760 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="10knuckles01"]

$40 more for antec 750w

V4LENT1NE

Why? Even a 500W PSU would run that rig fine. GPUs are nowhere near as power hungry as they used to be, same with everything else, no need to waste money on a 750W PSU.

indeed i reserve anything over a 650 watt for dual gpu setups or setups that will be using alot more expansion cards than just a gpu like say a 7950 + sound card+ wireless NiC + usb expansion + etc, etc.

#9 Posted by N8A (18602 posts) -
Your PSU is fine. Your total max system draw is currently about 300-350, so you don't need a bigger PSU.
#10 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="10knuckles01"]

$40 more for antec 750w

V4LENT1NE

Why? I could give you a few reasons. Sli, overclocking, adding a sound card, more hard drives, and some headroom for your system load. I always have some headroom left for my psu even if the power consumption on full load doesn't reach the capacity of my psu. Are you a psychic? Even for the near future, he might decide to update his gaming PC.
#11 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12901 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] It's up to you. If it were me, I would feel like I'm on the edge with a 650w, let alone a 620w psu.

Why? I could give you a few reasons. Sli, overclocking, adding a sound card, more hard drives, and some headroom for your system load. I always have some headroom left for my psu even if the power consumption on full load doesn't reach the capacity of my psu. Are you a psychic? Even for the near future, he might decide to update his gaming PC.

Never mentioned SLI, still room for overclocking, sound card lol, room for more harddrives and there will will be lots of headroom (probably about 100W seen as his system will likely even with more stuff never go over 450W). And for the future things are getting more and more power saving so that argument is bad to. And yes I am a psychic.
#12 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"] Why? Even a 500W PSU would run that rig fine. GPUs are nowhere near as power hungry as they used to be, same with everything else, no need to waste money on a 750W PSU.V4LENT1NE

Never mentioned SLI, still room for overclocking, sound card lol, room for more harddrives and there will will be lots of headroom (probably about 100W seen as his system will likely even with more stuff never go over 450W). And for the future things are getting more and more power saving so that argument is bad to. And yes I am a psychic.

That's what I'm trying to say.... You're not taking into account, future upgrades. And lets say, there's 100w headroom left; that's actually a good thing. That's my point. The argument isn't bad, you just don't want to admit that you overlooked this part of the argument.

P.S. Enjoy your onboard audio and never experience quality sound.

#13 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

junk case and junk gpu.

#14 Posted by 10knuckles01 (165 posts) -

very helpful thank you jake ,, (sarcasm)

#15 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -
I use 2x 550w PSU's. One for my CPU/MB/peripherals, and the other for my videocard(s) and fans. I got both of them a few years ago for about $100, when 750w+ PSU's were a couple hundred bucks or more.. But a system with an overclocked quad core and high end videocard will pull between 300w and 500w at load, depending on the exact components (I.E. - Ivy Bridge vs Sandy Bridge vs Piledriver & Fermi vs Kepler vs Tahiti). A 650w would be my minimum recommendation if someone is overclocking and using a decent videocard. The 620w that the TC linked to is good too. I wouldn't get anything less than a 750w for an SLI/Crossfire setup and overclocked CPU...
#16 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

junk case and junk gpu.

jakes456
I'm just curious man, what are your PC specs? Do you have a liquid cooled i7-3970X EE and tri-7970's/SLI GTX 690's or something? Because you sure are awfully critical of everyone else's setups and purchases on here, lol...
#17 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

junk case and junk gpu.

superclocked

I'm just curious man, what are your PC specs? Do you have a liquid cooled i7-3970X EE and tri-7970's/SLI GTX 690's or something? Because you sure are awfully critical of everyone else's setups and purchases on here, lol...

don't troll kid.

3970x a waste of money and so is tri-anything.

I suggest people spend their money on actual good products.

#18 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

junk case and junk gpu.

jakes456

don't troll kid.

Oo.. I was asking an honest question. But judging from your response, I'm just going to assume that you don't have any room to be calling a GTX 670 or Antec 900 "gabage." That is all, lol...
#19 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

[QUOTE="superclocked"]I'm just curious man, what are your PC specs? Do you have a liquid cooled i7-3970X EE and tri-7970's/SLI GTX 690's or something? Because you sure are awfully critical of everyone else's setups and purchases on here, lol...superclocked

don't troll kid.

Oo.. I was asking an honest question. But judging from your response, I'm just going to assume that you don't have any room to be calling a GTX 670 or Antec 900 "gabage." That is all, lol...

lol clueless follower kid.

Antec 900 is garbo. That case was cool in what 2006? o it so purdy.

no cable managment, garbo fans, rattling fans, hideous looking.

GTX 670 sucks for the money. 7970 wipes the floor with it. oc'd 7950 wipes the floor with it. prices of 7970/7950 wipe the floor with 670.

nt tho kid.

#20 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

don't troll kid.

jakes456

GTX 670 sucks for the money. 7970 wipes the floor with it. oc'd 7950 wipes the floor with it. prices of 7970/7950 wipe the floor with 670.

nt tho kid.

So, I'm a kid with 2 kids of my own, eh? I need to be in the Guinness Book of World Records apparently.. lol... :P
#21 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12901 posts) -

[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Why? I could give you a few reasons. Sli, overclocking, adding a sound card, more hard drives, and some headroom for your system load. I always have some headroom left for my psu even if the power consumption on full load doesn't reach the capacity of my psu. Are you a psychic? Even for the near future, he might decide to update his gaming PC.Elann2008

That's what I'm trying to say.... You're not taking into account, future upgrades. And lets say, there's 100w headroom left; that's actually a good thing. That's my point. The argument isn't bad, you just don't want to admit that you overlooked this part of the argument.

P.S. Enjoy your onboard audio and never experience quality sound.

First off, I wasnt bashing sound cards, I was joking that you even factor them into power as they barely take anything to run, I wasnt saying they were bad, thats just you trying to make an argument out of nothing. Secondly, I dont work on what he is going to do in the future, there is no point in spending money on something he may never get use out of, hence why I dont see the need in getting over a 500W PSU for a single card setup. And no I am not going to admit that I am am wrong, because I havent said anything wrong. I had software on my old PSU that monitored how many W the PSU was drawing, it was an Odin GT 850W Gigabyte PSU. I had a Phenom II X4 @3.8Ghz, 2 HDDs, big spec motherboard, 8GB of overclocked RAM, 2 overclocked 4870s in Xfire and a sound blaster card. I used to only be able to pull under 700W at full load. Remember that is with TWO old power hungry cards, a heavily overclocked CPU and RAM and multiple drives... There is no way in hell the rig listed in the TC post at load is going anywhere near 500W.
#22 Posted by ionusX (25760 posts) -

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

[QUOTE="superclocked"]Oo.. I was asking an honest question. But judging from your response, I'm just going to assume that you don't have any room to be calling a GTX 670 or Antec 900 "gabage." That is all, lol...superclocked

nt tho kid.

So, I'm a kid with 2 kids of my own, eh? I need to be in the Guinness Book of World Records apparently.. lol... :P

jake456 has a core 2 duo and an 8800GT

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme