Feedback on keyboards

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ShinobiKaze
Member since 2003 • 95 Posts

Hi, I'm looking into getting a keyboard preferrably for gaming. I did some research and there seems to be a few that always come up. I wanted to create this topic to get some feedback from people who use gaming keyboards and get their experience on them. The ones that seem to get generally good feedback are the

Merc Stealth

Seitek Cyborg

Logitech G11/15

SteelSeries ZBoard/Shift

Razer Tarantula

I don't really play first person shooters on my comp. The main games I played are SCII, DA:O, Mass Effect 1 & 2, DA II, and WoW. I try to get games for my computer that I can't for my PS3. Oh yeah, my laptop is a Asus G73JH A1 so if anyone cares about looks and what goes with what. Umm not sure what else to add. So if people could share their experiences with these keyboards or any others that I haven't mentioned would be helpful. Thanks.

Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rob_101
Member since 2004 • 3291 Posts

Those are all cheap garbage keyboards OP. Sadly most people are rather uneducated on keyboards and just buy the ones that look the flashiest. Check out this thread on mechanical keyboards which is what you want to be shopping for when looking for a good keyboard, scroll down the the recommendations section if you just want to get to the point.

ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ShinobiKaze

Nice. I read all the information on that website. I was looking at mechanical keyboards and saw a few but wasn't sure if they were better for gaming or not. The two that I see that popped out to me were the Razer black widow ultimate and the Das model S. Do you have any of these at all and what you think of them?

Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

Hi, I'm looking into getting a keyboard preferrably for gaming. I did some research and there seems to be a few that always come up. I wanted to create this topic to get some feedback from people who use gaming keyboards and get their experience on them. The ones that seem to get generally good feedback are the

Merc Stealth

Seitek Cyborg

Logitech G11/15

SteelSeries ZBoard/Shift

Razer Tarantula

I don't really play first person shooters on my comp. The main games I played are SCII, DA:O, Mass Effect 1 & 2, DA II, and WoW. I try to get games for my computer that I can't for my PS3. Oh yeah, my laptop is a Asus G73JH A1 so if anyone cares about looks and what goes with what. Umm not sure what else to add. So if people could share their experiences with these keyboards or any others that I haven't mentioned would be helpful. Thanks.

ShinobiKaze

Those are all rubber dome trash keyboards.

Doesn't matter which one you get, so the cheapest of the lot would be the best.

Do as Rob said, look into mechanical keyboards.

Filco, Steelseries (6Gv2 and 7G), Deck, Ducky, and Topre; to name a few.

I'm getting this hot peice of ace in a couple of weeks.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I love my unicomp buckling-spring keyboard although it was quite expensive and weighs a ton :P I don't know if other people like this kind of keyboard when gaming though. I personally like the deep keys.

But yeah, avoid the cheap plastic dome keyboards. There is nothing more unpleasing.

tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tequilasunriser

I love my unicomp buckling-spring keyboard although it was quite expensive and weighs a ton :P I don't know if other people like this kind of keyboard when gaming though. I personally like the deep keys.

But yeah, avoid the cheap plastic dome keyboards. There is nothing more unpleasing.

Tezcatlipoca666
I would also like to have one of these. How much did you pay for yours? You can usually get them for around $40 or $50 used and $70 to $80 new.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
[QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

tequilasunriser
I would also like to have one of these. How much did you pay for yours? You can usually get them for around $40 or $50 used and $70 to $80 new.

If you're talking about the Unicomp-built Model Ms, then they'll be more expensive than old IBM or Lexmark-made Model Ms...most of those being dirt cheap if you happen to find them at thrift stores, but still relatively affordable on eBay. If you don't mind not having Windows keys, I'll offer up my IBM/Lexmark Model M 1370477. (Drainage channels, detachable cord, single-piece keycaps, fully functional.)
ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShinobiKaze

Cool cool. Thanks for all the advice about the mechanical keyboards. I wouldneed to do some more research on them, Deck seemed to have a pretty nice and the price seems fair for what I'm seeing with mechanical keyboards and having it be backlit is also a big plus over the Steel series G7. Anyone use the razor ultimate blackwidow or the das model S at all?

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

[QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

tequilasunriser

$80 new with USB connector :)

tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tequilasunriser
[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"][QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

NamelessPlayer

If you're talking about the Unicomp-built Model Ms, then they'll be more expensive than old IBM or Lexmark-made Model Ms...most of those being dirt cheap if you happen to find them at thrift stores, but still relatively affordable on eBay. If you don't mind not having Windows keys, I'll offer up my IBM/Lexmark Model M 1370477. (Drainage channels, detachable cord, single-piece keycaps, fully functional.)

Down the road and depending on price I may take you up on that offer. First, I need to get my Deck purchase out of the way, break it in, get over the inevitable buyers remorse, and repool my Pc hardware monies. Got a lot of upgrades I want to do and need to be frugal with the cash. haha
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

[QUOTE="ShinobiKaze"]

Merc Stealth

Seitek Cyborg

Logitech G11/15

SteelSeries ZBoard/Shift

Razer Tarantula

tequilasunriser

Those are all rubber dome trash keyboards.

Doesn't matter which one you get, so the cheapest of the lot would be the best.

Do as Rob said, look into mechanical keyboards.

Filco, Steelseries (6Gv2 and 7G), Deck, Ducky, and Topre; to name a few.

I'm getting this hot peice of ace in a couple of weeks.

i ordered that keyboard today, it should be here in a few days.
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

How do work out what type of switches you have?

I have the Apple Keyboard A1048...

Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rob_101

Nice. I read all the information on that website. I was looking at mechanical keyboards and saw a few but wasn't sure if they were better for gaming or not. The two that I see that popped out to me were the Razer black widow ultimate and the Das model S. Do you have any of these at all and what you think of them?

ShinobiKaze

They are MUCH better for gaming. Ask any SC2 pro for example, they wouldn't dare play a match without their cherry blacks 6Gv2. The Razer ones are pretty new so not a lot of people have good durability reports of them but overall they are nice, also Das is regarded as (one of the) best brands. I own a IBM M2 buckling spring which I purchased for $5 at a thrift store FYI. Also, one of the more important things when shopping for a mechanical is which key switch type you want (cherry blues, and browns are the most popular but have some substantial differences).

Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rob_101

Urworstnhtmare

google, pull off a key cap...... i'm 99% sure apple doesn't make a mechanical keyboard.

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

Rob_101

google, pull off a key cap...... i'm 99% sure apple doesn't make a mechanical keyboard.

Thats a shame.... Because its a nice keyboard...

After getting a RAM upgrade, I will invest in a mech keyboard...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Logitech's G15 is godly, i miss mine so much, this Razor lycosa i use now is nothing compared to it.
ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShinobiKaze

Okay, thanks for all the advice that everyone gave. I did my research on mechanicl keyboards, what switch type I would prefer, Key cap printing, USB/PS2, and everything else. So after reading, watching and hunting for reviews on mechanical keyboards. I decided I prefered cheery brown, backlit, dye sublimination or double shot with both or the ability to switch between USB and PS/2. My choices came down to the Deck Legend and XArmor U9BL-S Now I know that some people who answered on this topic got the Deck LEgend and I wanted to ask them if they feel good about the purchase. The deck legend Ice with tactile switches (Which I believe is the clear switches, which is suppose to be a stiffer brown) and if anyone has tried the Xarmor U9BL-S (Has cherry brown). My only drawback back with the Xarmor is that I would need to use a separate USB port for the backlighting when I believe that the Deck only requires 1 USB port altogether.

PRice for the Deck legend Ice tactile is $169 + shipping

For the XArmor U9BL-S is $135 + shipping

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
Just buy a decent standard keyboard they are all you will ever need and are much lighter and take up far less space. It's the mouse you should invest in.
marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts
ain't the problem of USb powered Keyboard they get some Ghosting ? which can make a Difference when gaming ?
ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ShinobiKaze

Yeah with PS/2 you have NKRO but when usingUSB I think it only has 6NKRO. I'm using a ASus G73JH so I don't have the option of using PS/2. I'm going to be buildig a desktop sometime down the line so that is the reason I wanted to have a keyboard with a PS/2 option then only USB like the Razer blackwidow.

Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

XArmor makes really good mechanical backlit keyboards, I have the U9BL with blue switches, the U9BL-S has brown's.

ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ShinobiKaze

Ah nice. So you're happy with your xarmor? I wanted U9BL-2 because of the brown switches. There is a forty or fifty dollar difference between the two so I wanted to see if the Deck Legend is worth that extra cash over the XArmor. My laptop has only four USB ports so for my to use that backlighting means taking up two usb ports which I'm not entirely happy about.

marcthpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 marcthpro
Member since 2003 • 7927 Posts
all Keyboard & mice & Webcam are single USB Connector : HDD 3.5inch are the only to need Two because they act as powersupply to the Hard Drive Enclosure : while 2.5inch HDD (Laptop HDD) can be feed with a single USB connector slow but it can be done
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

+1 to xArmor, like the Razer board, but + nkro and brown switches ( blues get heavy during late nighters especially for typing).

ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShinobiKaze

Cool man thank you. Yeah I just want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck cause spending at least 140 for a keyboard I want to make sure it is a good investment. Took me a couple weeks of research just to narrow my choices down to these two. Since I'm also a college student I type quite a bit so I wanted that good balance between gaming and typing.

tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tequilasunriser

Okay, thanks for all the advice that everyone gave. I did my research on mechanicl keyboards, what switch type I would prefer, Key cap printing, USB/PS2, and everything else. So after reading, watching and hunting for reviews on mechanical keyboards. I decided I prefered cheery brown, backlit, dye sublimination or double shot with both or the ability to switch between USB and PS/2. My choices came down to the Deck Legend and XArmor U9BL-S Now I know that some people who answered on this topic got the Deck LEgend and I wanted to ask them if they feel good about the purchase. The deck legend Ice with tactile switches (Which I believe is the clear switches, which is suppose to be a stiffer brown) and if anyone has tried the Xarmor U9BL-S (Has cherry brown). My only drawback back with the Xarmor is that I would need to use a separate USB port for the backlighting when I believe that the Deck only requires 1 USB port altogether.

PRice for the Deck legend Ice tactile is $169 + shipping

For the XArmor U9BL-S is $135 + shipping

ShinobiKaze
Get a P/S2 interface over the USB interface. Not only will it save you a USB port and use the otherwise useless P/S2 port, but you'll get full NKRO rather than 6 key roll over. If you go with Deck a P/S2 board can more easily be converted to USB (clipping a resistor), however, converting USB to P/S2 is more difficult (soldering on a resistor). XArmor seems nice, I like the USB hub and the mic and headphone jacks. Personally I'd still go for the Deck. There are tutorials on the Deck forums that show how to install USB hubs and other mods into the keyboard if modding is your sort of thing. (Modding is encouraged by Deck and covered in the warranty) Either way it looks like you picked some winners.
kapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kapp1
Member since 2004 • 1138 Posts
I'm going to agree with what others have been saying and recommend the Deck. I ordered my Legend (Frost Tactile) a few weeks ago and am definitely not disappointed. Typing on it feels great, the backlighting is quality, and the keyboard feels very well-built and sturdy. I was unsure if it would be worth the money at first, but now that I have it I'm glad I splurged a little bit and didn't go with something else. Also, if you would happen to not like it, you can return it within 30 days with no questions asked.
ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ShinobiKaze

Nice. The Xarmor also hasthe PS/2 port with too. So I can decide to switch between USB and PS/2 when I get a computer that has a PS/2 port I could plug it in. I believe with the Deck Legend I would have to buy another resistor with it. So you guys like your Deck and recommand that purchase over the Xarmor?

tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tequilasunriser

Nice. The Xarmor also hasthe PS/2 port with too. So I can decide to switch between USB and PS/2 when I get a computer that has a PS/2 port I could plug it in. I believe with the Deck Legend I would have to buy another resistor with it. So you guys like your Deck and recommand that purchase over the Xarmor?

ShinobiKaze
Yeah to switch from USB to P/S2 you'd have to buy and solder on a resistor. That might be the only downside for you if tinkering and soldering isn't your sort of thing.
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

Rob_101

I'm 100% sure they do. The 1048 isn't one of them, but the original Apple Keyboard, Apple Extended Keyboard, and AEK II all used various Alps switches (mainly orange if my memory serves). Hell, the AEK II was as popular as the Model M in its own right, and was even preferred by many thanks to the slightly lighter and much quieter switches. They also had a very cool feature you don't see on boards these days: the Caps Lock key actually locked. By that I mean that whenever the key was "active" it sat slightly recessed into the board. Pressing it up would turn off Caps-Lock and bring the key back up to normal height. Very nifty. The biggest thing holding many people from using the older Apple keyboards today is the fact that they were all made for ADB, a now defunct Apple-only interface that was used in the '90s. There are a few ADB->USB converters on the market, but they are neither cheap nor easy to find. I actually have an old Apple Keyboard and AEK II in the closet - if I ever get my hands on the right adapter, I'll definitely utilize them.
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

Just a word of warning about Filco, the letters started to wear off my keys week one. FKBN104M/EB

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
my deck legend toxic keyboard came and it's worth the money. the keys will never wear out, 7 different settings for the leds plus an option to turn them off. i can feel a difference from my razer lycosa. it's the usb kind so it has 6 nkro, but i won't be holding down that many keys anyway.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
all Keyboard & mice & Webcam are single USB Connector : HDD 3.5inch are the only to need Two because they act as powersupply to the Hard Drive Enclosure : while 2.5inch HDD (Laptop HDD) can be feed with a single USB connector slow but it can be done marcthpro
I'm yet to see a 3.5" hdd that will run off usb, they always have external power and often 2.5" drives need 2 usb plugs, but not always depending on the port.
redwarrior191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 redwarrior191
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts

Just a word of warning about Filco, the letters started to wear off my keys week one. FKBN104M/EB

Blistrax

really??i'm just about to buy it.. how bad is it?? can you post some pics?

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
It's a $150 keyboard. How bad does it have to be? The "O" is entirely gone, the "E" looks like an "F", the "A" looks like "
ShinobiKaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ShinobiKaze

Yeah kep cap durability was also an issue. From the site a poster recommanded to read on the first page was definitely a help. If that is a deal breaker for you for that particular keyboard there some others that are really good for that price. I believe Deck is the only company that uses double shot dye that is never suppose to wear. I'm getting mixed readings on that information though. Some sites say they use double shot while I found others saying its dye sublimation which is also suppose to be very good for wear. I would check out that site and read up since you're going to be spending that much money on a keyboard. And google some reviews on each keyboard you find interesting.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

Yeah kep cap durability was also an issue. From the site a poster recommanded to read on the first page was definitely a help. If that is a deal breaker for you for that particular keyboard there some others that are really good for that price. I believe Deck is the only company that uses double shot dye that is never suppose to wear. I'm getting mixed readings on that information though. Some sites say they use double shot while I found others saying its dye sublimation which is also suppose to be very good for wear. I would check out that site and read up since you're going to be spending that much money on a keyboard. And google some reviews on each keyboard you find interesting.

ShinobiKaze
Deck's keys are a modified double-shot process. They're not Dye sublimation at all really, although they're not admittedly the same double-shot process used on some older keyboards, mainly because they need to be translucent for the backlighting. Rest assured though, you could replace the actual Cherry MX switches in the board three times before they keycaps wore noticeably down through normal use.