Fastest GPU Price cut in history

#1 Posted by urbangamez (3491 posts) -

Yep.

amd was gonna launch the 5700 XT at $449 and the 5700 at $379, and the are better than the plain 2070 and 2060.

well whaddaya kno, nvidia launched super RTX at same prices for the vanilla but with more performance for the dolla, now amd say fooled ya

the 5700XT is now $399 and the 5700 is $349 and the cards are not even out yet.

competition is awesome. all praise amd

#2 Edited by BassMan (10387 posts) -

This is good news, but this has happened before. It is not uncommon for launch prices to change when a market assessment is done. This is why companies often wait until the last minute to disclose pricing. They want to see where they stand in the market.

#3 Posted by mastershake575 (8551 posts) -

If the 5700XT can come close to stock 1080ti performance for only $399 then that would be a great value

#4 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

Its a price cut because those die sizes are small and not flagship chips with the coolers labelled as RX 6** series on them... These GPU's can be sold for $250 and $300 and still make AMD a profit. They are ripping you off even with the price cut, Nvidia's die size is substantially bigger but draws less power and costs the same. AMD right now with Navi is worse than Nvidia when it comes to taking advantage not to mention that these cards will be in a console that will cost the same price as the card alone and will probably have a higher CU count.

Anyone buying a Navi is dumb... And the worst part of this all is that these are for the blower fan stock cards, after market cards will tip these Navi cards past Nvidia prices

#5 Posted by osan0 (15441 posts) -

interesting. if i can get between 2070 and 2070super performance for less money then that is very interesting.

itll be interesting to see how it stacks up tomorrow and where the 5700 and XT are placed.

i still dont know if i will upgrade my GPU this year though....i may try to stretch my RX580 another year or so.

if i get a GPU i want it to be ready for next gen too which probably means RTX in some form. the RTX2000 series suffers from the usual first gen syndrome (the only card i would consider to have legs would be the 2080ti which is at a mad price) and AMD dont have anything on the RT front for now. the ol RX580 is holding up with the games i am currently playing. so i would like to hold out for navi20 and the RTX 3000 series (and seeing the make up of the next consoles) before upgrading.

the only spanner in that plan is i am also looking into getting an index this year and i do have my doubts over whether my 580 will provide a good experience. thankfully i wont be making this decision until sept/oct.

still the price drop is good. necessary too: the 5700XT especially would be DOA againt the 2070Super (which is looking like the best deal of the new super cards has to be said) at its original price.

#6 Edited by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

ITS DOA...

Why buy them when you can get similar performance and get Ray Tracing.

Also 10db louder than Nvidia cards and the XT runs at 92c... FML AMD.

So from what I gather from the launches today... Get a 3700X if your a gamer and don't bother with Intel and if your a content creator the 3900X is the greatest bang for buck CPU I have ever seen, and stay away from Navi the heat/noise/price/TDP and lack of Ray Tracing make them a worse failure than Vega.

#7 Edited by mastershake575 (8551 posts) -

5700XT reviews are all over the place. Literally hearing anything from "slower than the regular 2060 in a handful of games" all the way to "overall gaming test only 5% slower than 2070S for $100 cheaper".

Re-reviews next month with upgraded drivers and 3rd party coolers (some reviews complaining of performance lose due to throttling) should give us a better picture of what this card really is. Really hard to recommend this card when it's very unknown. Rumor is 3rd party cards mid-august

#8 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@mastershake575 said:

5700XT reviews are all over the place. Literally hearing anything from "slower than the regular 2060 in a handful of games" all the way to "overall gaming test only 5% slower than 2070S for $100 cheaper".

Re-reviews next month with upgraded drivers and 3rd party coolers (some reviews complaining of performance lose due to throttling) should give us a better picture of what this card really is. Really hard to recommend this card when it's very unknown. Rumor is 3rd party cards mid-august

Its not rocket science... It just depends on what games they used to benchmark the cards, no two games are the same in terms of performance and what architecture it prefers and or VRAM usage and so on.

From what I have seen

• 5700 = Closer to the performance of a 2060 than a 2060 Super
  • 5700 XT = On average on par with a 2070/2060 Super but in some games faster doesn't come close to a 2070 Super

The reason why they dropped the prices a day before launch is because these cards cannot compete with RTX Super without the price difference.

Also once those after market cards come that $50-100 difference?... Yeah its gone. Then you will have the same price but worse performance with higher TDP and no ray tracing. Navi is a joke... I have said this prior to its launch, anything GCN based is a joke. The XT draws the same power as a 2080 Ti when its overclocked and runs at 92c while sounding like someone is using a hair dryer while your trying to sleep.

#9 Edited by mastershake575 (8551 posts) -

Reviews are to inconsistent. I go on Anandtech and there using different drivers, have no thermal issues, and are saying it's only 5% slower than the $100 more expensive 2070S. I go on techpowerup and there saying it's almost 15% slower and it's possibly having throttling issues.

Reviews are all over the place and what I said is reasonably justified ("not a card to recommened but next month will give us a better picture with updated drivers and better thermals"). If these cards are so called "DOA" then I doubt third party prices will try to push it past Nvidia, especially since these chips don't cost an arm and a leg

#10 Posted by phbz (4504 posts) -

I wonder what kind of person gets cards before they go 3rd party. Always puzzled me.

#11 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@mastershake575 said:

Reviews are to inconsistent. I go on Anandtech and there using different drivers, have no thermal issues, and are saying it's only 5% slower than the $100 more expensive 2070S. I go on techpowerup and there saying it's almost 15% slower and it's possibly having throttling issues.

Reviews are all over the place and what I said is reasonably justified ("not a card to recommened but next month will give us a better picture with updated drivers and better thermals"). If these cards are so called "DOA" then I doubt third party prices will try to push it past Nvidia, especially since these chips don't cost an arm and a leg

Three things wrong with how you are reviewing the information:

1: Temps:

Before starting measurements, we heat up the card for each test, to ensure a steady state is tested. This ensures that the card won't boost to unrealistically high clocks for only few seconds until it heats up.

This is from techPowerUp and how they test their GPU's, Anandtech doesn't do that its why their temps are lower which is the wrong way of testing temps.

2: Anandtech's ~5% slower than a 2070 Super:

Reviewers use different games when they do their averages, its a meaningless number than will change the moment you add and or take away a game... BUT keep in mind that Anandtech used 9 games where techPowerUp used 21 games to get their average and the games they both had ran the same.

3: AIB cards

AIB cards on AMD are always a lot higher because AMD stock cards are low quality with cut corners, which is why with Nvidia you can get cheaper AIB cards than a founders card... Also on a 21 game average:

• the 5700 is slower than a 2060 Super but costs $50 less - AIB cards will cost $50-100 more = WIll make no sense
  • the 5700 XT is slower than a 2070 Super but costs $100 less - AIB cards will cost $50-100 more = Will make no sense

The devil's in the details. The reviews are no inconsistent at all... Its just some reviews don't know how to review and or pick different games to benchmark skewing the results so the only way to be unbias is to do as many games as possible.

Also they are using the same drivers.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#12 Edited by blaznwiipspman1 (7205 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

ITS DOA...

So from what I gather from the launches today... Get a 3700X if your a gamer and don't bother with Intel and if your a content creator the 3900X is the greatest bang for buck CPU I have ever seen, and stay away from Navi the heat/noise/price/TDP and lack of Ray Tracing make them a worse failure than Vega.

so basically around 9% slower, tested across all games and $100 cheaper. I'll take the AMD, for that price difference thanks. The only moron who would get the nvidia for $100-150 more for less are those who want to run 10k resolution gaming PCs. Honestly, when you lower some stupid settings in the graphics, you will get the same frames anyways and pretty much no difference in picture quality. Though it doesn't matter to me, please morons keep buying the nvidia, just means I get to keep enjoying the sweet deals on AMD cards hahaha.

#13 Edited by rmpumper (653 posts) -

Classic Radeon. Shitty drivers and jet engine fan. DOA until we can see what aftermarket cards can do, maybe drivers will be fixed by then as well.

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
  • the 5700 is slower than a 2060 Super but costs $50 less - AIB cards will cost $50-100 more = WIll make no sense
  • the 5700 XT is slower than a 2070 Super but costs $100 less - AIB cards will cost $50-100 more = Will make no sense

Hey, it's not like nvidia's AIBs are any cheaper. Good for the countries where nvidia ship their FE cards, but in Europe only a few get that privilege, so we are forced to pay extra for the AIBs, and last I saw, the 2060S starts at ~470€ ($540) and 2070S at 600€ ($690), while nvidia is selling their FE in EU for 419€ and 529€ (but as I said, only a few countries out of dozens get to buy those).

#14 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

ITS DOA...

so basically around 9% slower, tested across all games and $100 cheaper. I'll take the AMD, for that price difference thanks. The only moron who would get the nvidia for $100-150 more for less are those who want to run 10k resolution gaming PCs. Honestly, when you lower some stupid settings in the graphics, you will get the same frames anyways and pretty much no difference in picture quality. Though it doesn't matter to me, please morons keep buying the nvidia, just means I get to keep enjoying the sweet deals on AMD cards hahaha.

$100 more gets you a not 9% but 12% faster card which is just a average its depending on the game is a substantial drop, also its 10db quieter and supports ray tracing... You are not getting a deal, with that logic no one should ever buy a after market GPU and well no one should get anything outside of a RX 570 since its still the price to performance king.

#15 Edited by mastershake575 (8551 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

This is from techPowerUp and how they test their GPU's, Anandtech doesn't do that its why their temps are lower which is the wrong way of testing temps.

Thats exactly what i'm saying. I'm gonna wait till the 3rd party models come out because these cards are possibly throttling, are loud, and have crap temps. Hardware Unboxed actually put a R9 290 coolers on the 5700XT this morning and they saw a slighty FPS increase, temps blow 65C and almost no noise (fix those 3 issues with a decent price difference between it and the 2070/2070S and it's FAR from DOA)

As i've said for the third time now, my statement still stands ("not a card to recommend currently but next month will give us a better picture with 3rd party models")

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
#16 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (7205 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

ITS DOA...

$100 more gets you a not 9% but 12% faster card which is just a average its depending on the game is a substantial drop, also its 10db quieter and supports ray tracing... You are not getting a deal, with that logic no one should ever buy a after market GPU and well no one should get anything outside of a RX 570 since its still the price to performance king.

ive never purchased an nvidia graphics card besides the GeForce 240 gt way back. I also bought a GeForce 460 used a few years ago on a 2nd hand site called kijiji. Though the number of nvidia cards I have purchased in the last 7 years new has been exactly 1, and that was the GeForce 240gt. Like I said, if you're going to gloat about 12% performance improvement and it goes down to almost parity after you adjust some graphical settings that don't really make a difference to picture quality but have a bigger hit on AMD cards than nvidia, then the price better not be so much different. The fact of the matter is, you can find AMD cards brand new for 25-50% below an nvidia card, and AMD cards also commonly come with free games packed in the box on top of that. It makes absolutely no sense to get an nvidia card for so much more money, but fools and their money are soon parted as they say, and those who benefit are people like me. So like I said, continue on.

#17 Edited by PredatorRules (12447 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf

AnandTech

Guru3D

BTW 2060 Super comes with good stock 2 fans like on 3rd party brands while AMD (2019 IDK) still uses the old stock crap.

I know for me at least low temps are critical so I'm still going to use Nvidia unless AMD will start putting power efficiency as their top priority

#18 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@PredatorRules: Yeah the reviews seem to be back and forth when it comes to temp, just watch Linus tech tips and their card was hitting 94c.

AMD really mess up their GPU launches for some reason.