Far Cry 3 Multiplayer is Terrible

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EatShanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EatShanna
Member since 2008 • 875 Posts

I finished the enjoyable SP campaign yesterday and decided to jump into multiplayer.

I had only seen a few minutes of MP gameplay taken at a gaming event a few months ago and remembered very little of it.

Today I played the multiplayer for a good two hours and reached level 21, and frankly those two hours were more than enough.

While the team working on single-player developed a wonderful world teeming with life, the multi-player team developed quite possibly the worst Call of Duty clone I've ever played.

There are no servers, it's P2P and while other games such as Modern Warfare 2 do a half decent job of masking the obvious faults of P2P on PC, Far Cry 3 shows them off in full glory.

The knife takedown shames Modern Warfare 2's knife lunge, you can instakill someone from 2 kilometers away, and don't have to face them for it to trigger, I've killed people by pressing 'F' while not facing them.

Weapons. There are lots of them but you really only need one - the Kriss SMG.

It has no recoil, an incredible rate of fire and the split second you're hit with one round you're pretty much dead. Every other weapons pales in comparison.

A laggy player armed with the Kriss can tear everyone to pieces.

The only thing I liked were the "finishing moves". These are performed by one team's MVP on the other team's MVP and range from sparing him, dancing with him to kicking him in the face, punching him in the groin and even slitting his throat.

I never spared the other team's MVP because he was always a camper.

In conclusion, FC3's multi-player component is a poor CoD clone that will be dead on PC within a few weeks at most.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
pretty much what I expected. Not even going to touch MP and never was.
CrocodileNuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CrocodileNuts
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts
Not surprised at all.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I never intended to even try the MP. I am only interested in the SP and Co op modes

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts
I'm sick of these companies bolting on crap multiplayer to epic/classic single player games because "they" think society wants it on every game. Can't they see that some games DO NOT NEED MULTIPLAYER! Same thing happened with Dead Space and others. Will the next Dishonored and Witcher 3 have multiplayer? Grrr.....
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Wasn't expecting anything worth playing (in terms of multi-player) when I saw the MP trailer for Far Cry 3. I'm still interested in picking it up for the single player, but it's a real shame they wasted time on crappy multiplayer when that time could have been put elsewhere.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="acanofcoke"]I'm sick of these companies bolting on crap multiplayer to epic/classic single player games because "they" think society wants it on every game. Can't they see that some games DO NOT NEED MULTIPLAYER! Same thing happened with Dead Space and others. Will the next Dishonored and Witcher 3 have multiplayer? Grrr.....

Don't know or care about Dishonored, but Witcher? hell yeah it needs multiplayer, a dueling arena would be perfect for it as multiplayer.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
No surprise at all. It's all about the SP and it always has been for the Far Cry series.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Wasn't expecting anything worth playing (in terms of multi-player) when I saw the MP trailer for Far Cry 3. I'm still interested in picking it up for the single player, but it's a real shame they wasted time on crappy multiplayer when that time could have been put elsewhere.C_Rule

Yeah, I love what they've done for the multiplayer with the AssCreed games, but FC3's multiplayer could never have done anything to pull people away from larger, better online shooters like Battlefield and Counter Strike.

It's just sad that instead of adding in more single player content, or even making the single player campaign cooperative, Borderlands or Saints Row 3 style (which would have been SWEET), they put time and effort into a multiplayer nobody likes.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
I'm never interested in MP for any game.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Wasn't expecting anything worth playing (in terms of multi-player) when I saw the MP trailer for Far Cry 3. I'm still interested in picking it up for the single player, but it's a real shame they wasted time on crappy multiplayer when that time could have been put elsewhere.SPYDER0416

Yeah, I love what they've done for the multiplayer with the AssCreed games, but FC3's multiplayer could never have done anything to pull people away from larger, better online shooters like Battlefield and Counter Strike.

It's just sad that instead of adding in more single player content, or even making the single player campaign cooperative, Borderlands or Saints Row 3 style (which would have been SWEET), they put time and effort into a multiplayer nobody likes.

Would co-op work in a game like Far Cry 3 though? It's more of a one-person narrative/story. I think they did all they could to make the single-player experience robust as possible and it was a splendid job. Multiplayer for FC3 was just tacked-on, akin to Bulletstorm although not as bad of course. Even with Crysis, I never bothered with Crysis Wars or whatever the MP was called. It was all about the SP. :) Same goes with AC series imho.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
the first video that was showing multi looked baaaaaaaad so that's expected.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

I personally think that multi-player games and SP games should be entirely seperate.

Call of Duty shouldn't even include SP, regardless of how good or bad it is, it's obvious nobody buys COD for the campaign.

Games like Far Cry, Metro, TES etc should stick to SP so they can focus all of the resources and effort on that.

SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SharkheadHD
Member since 2012 • 227 Posts

They should have spent more time focusing on making free roam Coop work.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Zzzz. Boring game is a bore.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

They should have spent more time focusing on making free roam Coop work.

SharkheadHD

This. why couldn't Ubi spend the time to do Campaign coop open world?, instead they tack on a Cod clone multiplayer with knifes and lags, the only good thing is no killstreaks. I do think the game could have been a 10/10 imo if there was no quicktime events and had 4 player campaign coop, but i guess that was out of there budget. Drm can kiss my ass.

EatShanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EatShanna
Member since 2008 • 875 Posts
But there are killstreaks...sort of. There are "team support" actions that are divided into passive and aggressive. Passive would be "scouts" that act like UAV in CoD, aggressive is stuff like poison gas propane tanks dropped from planes that explode upon contact. From what I remember, you have to choose one because they don't stack. If the bar is full and you choose to reveal enemy locations instead of dropping propane, it resets and you have to fill it up again.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
How does any developer expect longevity in a PC multiplayer game with P2P. Its like the kiss of death.
RasAlgethi28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RasAlgethi28
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

Is the multiplayer still alive? I can't seem to find any games.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]Wasn't expecting anything worth playing (in terms of multi-player) when I saw the MP trailer for Far Cry 3. I'm still interested in picking it up for the single player, but it's a real shame they wasted time on crappy multiplayer when that time could have been put elsewhere.Elann2008

Would co-op work in a game like Far Cry 3 though? It's more of a one-person narrative/story. I think they did all they could to make the single-player experience robust as possible and it was a splendid job. Multiplayer for FC3 was just tacked-on, akin to Bulletstorm although not as bad of course. Even with Crysis, I never bothered with Crysis Wars or whatever the MP was called. It was all about the SP. :) Same goes with AC series imho.

I think it can work with anything, as Saints Row 3 and Borderlands show, you can have a game be just as good with or without friends to play through, and it can still be big and great.

I think that anything over two players would ruin the story though since emotional moments would be full of banter and have to cater to two players, and honestly I think it would work far better in Far Cry 2 where the story was much more minimal and the AI much more useless.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#21 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

At least there's the map editor to play about with.

-Montauk-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Montauk-
Member since 2007 • 880 Posts
What's everyones opinion on the co-op? I just read that it isn't the actual story line, but something else before the main plot, and takes about 6 hours to complete according to the Far Cry Wiki. I hate when devs make a separate story for the co-op.
Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts
I'm getting it for the single player anyways.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
I think a better co-op option would have been some sort of free roam mode on the island with groups of 3-4 people.
somegtalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 somegtalover
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts

Is the multiplayer still alive? I can't seem to find any games.

RasAlgethi28
the game hasnt even come out yet in america (dec. 4th)
G-O-A-T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 G-O-A-T
Member since 2011 • 160 Posts

we knew this, no?

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
[QUOTE="acanofcoke"]I'm sick of these companies bolting on crap multiplayer to epic/classic single player games because "they" think society wants it on every game. Can't they see that some games DO NOT NEED MULTIPLAYER! Same thing happened with Dead Space and others. Will the next Dishonored and Witcher 3 have multiplayer? Grrr.....

Well Far Cry has had MP since the first one, not sure how good it was since I have only played SP, but it did have it. Same goes for Far Cry 2. So it's not surprising that Far Cry 3 has it/
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Coop Campaigh instead of multiplayer would have been nice. Sort of like Saints Row3, Shogun2 and Dead Island wher eyou can do the whole thing with a frined.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#29 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I didn't care fpr MP. It's all about the SP. I can't wait to get the game.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

Coop Campaigh instead of multiplayer would have been nice. Sort of like Saints Row3, Shogun2 and Dead Island wher eyou can do the whole thing with a frined.

kozzy1234
would have been too easy I think? Im not that far in the story, almost got all the towers and outposts so far on the first island along with all the crafting upgrades. Only just encountered 2 heavies last night, which I lured over to a spot, waited till they turned and skull capped them with the M700. +200XP!
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

What they really need to do is start selling these modes seperately. If I could buy the singleplayer for $40 without the multiplayer, I'd gladly do it.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

What they really need to do is start selling these modes seperately. If I could buy the singleplayer for $40 without the multiplayer, I'd gladly do it.

Vari3ty
Scratch one more, i do think they would sell mor like that and if the sp, got them good they will buy the tacked on MP?