Far Cry 2 Gameplay Footage = Awesomenessness

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

Far Cry 2 is coming! Just from the interviews and articles, I was super-hyped! Then, I got my hands on this pre-alpha footage:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/118821.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/118856.html

It looks brilliant! Post your thoughts!

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
Love how objects behave to represent real world counterparts.
kakishi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 kakishi1
Member since 2005 • 1065 Posts
The game looks great, cant wait to play it, though i expect more from crysis2, sense they'll have more time to get more out of the cryengine2.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
Looked better then I expected.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

I don't know what I find more exciting - the amazing graphics, physics and interactiveness, the AI, the open-ended gameplay... It's all good!

I'm looking forward to Crysis 2, aswell. Improve the multiplayer, flatten out the bugs, and improve the alien combat, and you have an amazing game.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OoSuperMarioO
Either I'm crazy or did the guy just pulled a bullet out of his hand. No freaking way.
Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Quadrifoglio
Member since 2006 • 5451 Posts
Looks awesome.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
The original was horrible. I am not too excited for this game. The open world concept seems boring.
Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Ilived
Member since 2007 • 5516 Posts
It looks like a cartoon and the gun movements are so fake...I am of course comparing it to Crysis.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Been looking forward to it for quite a while now. Those videos are pretty old, saw them probably half a year ago and have been really anticipant ever since. Hopefully the game does end up looking so beautiful. There's no way the console versions will be able to look that good, and I just hope they keep the PC version's graphics at that level as opposed to dumbing them down along with the consoles. The gameplay also could end up dumbed down. Normally this would just be a minor concern for me, but it's being made by Ubisoft, which multiplies the possibility twenty times over (not to mention the strong possibility that it won't be optimized well).

Best case scenario, the game does in fact turn out to be awesome. Unfortunately, the worst case scenario ain't pretty. How this game will turn out is very uncertain. I remain optimistic but wary.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JP_Russell

Either I'm crazy or did the guy just pulled a bullet out of his hand. No freaking way.OoSuperMarioO

It's the game's form of healing yourself. I think if you just get a minor injury, your health regenerates automatically with no health bar, similar to CoD2/4 (which I don't care for, but oh well). But if you get injured enough to go into the red, you have to perform field surgery on yourself to heal back up. You'll have to find cover somewhere and do it if you're in the middle of a firefight. If I remember correctly, they last said there would be hundreds of different animations for healing yourself (maybe not, but at least a few dozen).

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OoSuperMarioO

Been looking forward to it for quite a while now. Those videos are pretty old, saw them probably half a year ago and have been really anticipant ever since. Hopefully the game does end up looking so beautiful. There's no way the console versions will be able to look that good, and I just hope they keep the PC version's graphics at that level as opposed to dumbing them down along with the consoles. The gameplay also could end up dumbed down. Normally this would just be a minor concern for me, but it's being made by Ubisoft, which multiplies the possibility twenty times over (not to mention the strong possibility that it won't be optimized well).

Best case scenario, the game does in fact turn out to be awesome. Unfortunately, the worst case scenario ain't pretty. How this game will turn out is very uncertain. I remain optimistic but wary.

JP_Russell
Hard to believe that these guys can get it to run good on consoles let alone the PS3 and it's complexity of coding. If they do however pull this off I tip my hat to these guys. Game looks amazing and not just from a graphical point but the share new ideas of gameplay mechanics.
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

JP_Russell

How can you dumb down graphics? Anyway's the console version already looks better than this from some of the previews.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

Nikalai_88

How can you dumb down graphics? Anyway's the console version already looks better than this from some of the previews.

You make them... not as good. Should have said tone down, sorry.

And I've not seen any console specific footage that looked even as good as what's in this alpha preview, myself.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Looks pretty good so far. I only hope the consoles won't limit the potential of this game.
darkmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darkmario123
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts
So what's the difference between this and Crysis?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

So what's the difference between this and Crysis?darkmario123

They're very similar, but Far Cry 2 has no sci-fi element - no aliens or nanosuits or anything (which is just as well, because I think the aliens spoilt Far Cry 1 and Crysis 1). There are lots more differences, but I think FC2 is gonna top Crysis 1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

The original was horrible. I am not too excited for this game. The open world concept seems boring.hoola

How can you say that? An open world concept is going to be far more engaging.

AnotherKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 AnotherKill
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts
These videos are old but still awesome. I was sad when it was announced that it would go to consoles, not sure why. All I know is I'm gonna have to buy me a new computer!
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
Looks great so far. I don't even want to take a shot at what it will take to run this game (burning trees, dynamic wind). I thought crysis was bad enough on my rather high-end graphics card/cpu.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
It's gonna take advantage of fast processors, especially dual core. I just got an AMD Athlon Dual Core 3Ghz processor for my birthday. Is very fast! Just my old ATI graphics card letting me down.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

[QUOTE="darkmario123"]So what's the difference between this and Crysis?bangell99

They're very similar, but Far Cry 2 has no sci-fi element - no aliens or nanosuits or anything (which is just as well, because I think the aliens spoilt Far Cry 1 and Crysis 1). There are lots more differences, but I think FC2 is gonna top Crysis 1.

They aren't similar in any way at all... They run on different engines, on is made by Ubisoft, the other is made by Crytek, one has aliens 'nd stuff and an amazing Nanosuit, the other is a run-of-the-mill FPS.

I would have more faith in this game being great if Crytek was making it, but Ubisoft Montreal are a pretty mediocre studio, so I expect this will be a mediocre game.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Initially I wasn't very interested in this game, but since I've learned more about it and seen the demos, it goes right to the top of my list of most anticipated games. I know some people find open environments boring, but I really like them, because I enjoy exploring in FPS games. I really get tired of being constrained to a single path, which is apparent in so many shooters these days.

I'm glad they ditched the mutant angle for this sequel. While it was okay in the original Far Cry, I thought that the further I went in that game it just become a bit ridiculous, the level design became more lazy and they just threw hordes of dumb monsters at you. By contrast, I really enjoyed the first half of Far Cry when you were mostly fighting mercs, using stealth if you wanted to etc.

When it comes to Far Cry 2 I think this is a good example of where graphics can really impact how the game is played. That is how I feel graphics (which in this example includes animations and environment interaction) should be utilised. It's pointless having lots of shiny bling all over the place if you can never affect the environment and the gameplay ends up being a mediocre linear experience where you will always do the same thing. If you can change the game dynamics through the visuals and environmental interaction it makes for a much better experience, and this is where many games fail.

I'm getting pretty tired of on-the-rails linear closed environment shooters, so another open environment 'choose how you play' type shooter is right up my alley. I think the really key issue they need to nail for FC2 is the AI. If they can get some realistic enemy behaviours in there, and deliver the game with as few bugs as possible then I think it will be a great game.

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
THose videos are really old so the game may have changed a bit.
gs_gear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gs_gear
Member since 2006 • 3237 Posts
Either I'm crazy or did the guy just pulled a bullet out of his hand. No freaking way.OoSuperMarioO
Yup, he's a Terminator. :P
gs_gear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gs_gear
Member since 2006 • 3237 Posts

JP_Russell
I've read somewhere that there's no difference between the PC and the console version. Don't remember though if they said about the content of the game or the graphics, I'll have to check for that article.
khariss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 khariss
Member since 2005 • 370 Posts
don't know about u guys but this looks so pre rendered im waiting for an unofficial trailer but still its gonna be good ;)
vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

The original was horrible. I am not too excited for this game. The open world concept seems boring.hoola

The original was one of the best experiences I had till the mutants appeared. And the game isn't even developed by Crytek. It's completely different.

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts
Yeah, i've seen those and it looks like it has potential. Having a big open world means that they need to fill it with lots of missions and it is almost getting to the point where they could make an RPG out of it. I'm not saying that it sounds like one, because it isn't, but I hope they fill the world, or it will turn out boring or slow.
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts

Yeah, i've seen those and it looks like it has potential. Having a big open world means that they need to fill it with lots of missions and it is almost getting to the point where they could make an RPG out of it. I'm not saying that it sounds like one, because it isn't, but I hope they fill the world, or it will turn out boring or slow.harrisi17

I second that.

Something that looks bad, in my opinion, are the weapons. They seem so inaccurate.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts
lol these movies are really old, But I am super hyped about the game. Shame on the dumb delay till fall though. I can't wait for more news