Fallout- my first time playing it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

so i literally just acquired fallout 1 and was right about to start playing it, when i noticed that there was a character select screen

im feeling too lazy to make a custom character so i was wondering which default you guys think i should go with: that fat guy, natalia, or albert

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
The game is not for you if you are too lazy to create your own character.
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 REforever101

The game is not for you if you are too lazy to create your own character.RK-Mara

thxs for the valuable input!

next

BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts
I don't think the game is for you if you don't even got the will to create your own character.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]The game is not for you if you are too lazy to create your own character.REforever101

next

He's right. If you can't even bother making your own character, I have a feeling you're not going to get far in this game.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]The game is not for you if you are too lazy to create your own character.REforever101

next

He's right.

The fun of Fallout is making choices. You have so many different ways of doing things, so many differeny ways of building your character. The more you put into the game, the more you'll get out.

Also, all the preset characters pretty much suck.

made_myself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 made_myself
Member since 2006 • 171 Posts

so i literally just acquired fallout 1 and was right about to start playing it, when i noticed that there was a character select screen

im feeling too lazy to make a custom character so i was wondering which default you guys think i should go with: that fat guy, natalia, or albert

REforever101
Go with a fat guy... You sound like one... PS. No offence, just kiddin' ;)
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 REforever101
[QUOTE="REforever101"]

made_myself

:evil:

to everyone else. lazy probably wasnt the right word. i love making choices in rpgs, its just that i have ALWAYS sucked at creating custom characters. no matter what combo of stuff i choose, my character still turns out terrible

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
[QUOTE="made_myself"][QUOTE="REforever101"]

REforever101

to everyone else. lazy probably wasnt the right word. i love making choices in rpgs, its just that i have ALWAYS sucked at creating custom characters. no matter what combo of stuff i choose, my character still turns out terrible

GameFaqs is a good start. Read up on effective classes and tweak them to your own preference.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts
Read a character creation faq, that's my advice.
vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
Don't bother with it.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
it doesn't take that long. just create a character. but basically, i'm guessing the woman is the finesse character (more for shooting), and the fat guy is for punching people's lights out. i'm guessing the other guy is a smooth operator who tries to talk people into doing things and fixes things and stuff.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts
[QUOTE="made_myself"][QUOTE="REforever101"]

REforever101

Then google for a character creation guide and see what's what. Some tips for you, though, for your first play through as a gunman: agility is super important, get it as high as possible (8 or 10). Intelligence is super important, get it to 7 at least. Same for perception. I find most of the rest of the stats aren't all that useful (besides strength, but you don't need more than the default 5). Luck can be a good stat to pump up to around 7, and you can sacrifice endurance and charisma.

For skills, for your first time around, you'll probably want to tag small guns, lockpick and speech. These are your primary skills and you'll be able to skill them up faster. Once you get small guns to around 100-130%, you will want to start working on another weapon skill - energy weapons or big guns. My preference is energy weapons.

The one trait I would absolutely suggest you get is gifted - the other one is up to you. I like fast shot, since with perks it means I can fire the alien blaster six times per turn, which owns.

For perks, get awareness first - after that, it's up to you.

If you do that, you will have a fairly well rounded character who will be able to get through the game and have a lot of options available to him. But from what I've seen of the preset characters, they are actually bad.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fireandcloud

i usually go with gifted and finesse for traits. gifted is really a must, because skills you can just tag and increase quickly. finesse is great, cuz you can aim for the eyes and get huge critical hits.

and for tag i usually go for the guns.

and i usually try to max out agility and perception. you can shoot things dead before they even have a chance to shoot back. other important one is intelligence. and strength is semi-important; some guns require a minimum amount of strength (i think 6 is what you need to use all the guns).

and once you're in the game, you just choose whatever helps you shoot better (skills, perks, etc.) whenever you get the opportunity.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Just be the smart guy.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts
I also just started playing this last night, How do I get to Vault 15? I try going there and run into big scorpions that whip my ass around. Any suggestions?
YourOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 YourOldFriend
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts

mfsa, you create such a different character from me in FO and highlight my favorite thing about the game and it's classic rpg brethren: Choices.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts

check out nma-fallout.com for a guide and for everything else Fallout.

it's the best Fallout site imo

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
it doesn't take that long. just create a character. but basically, i'm guessing the woman is the finesse character (more for shooting), and the fat guy is for punching people's lights out. i'm guessing the other guy is a smooth operator who tries to talk people into doing things and fixes things and stuff.fireandcloud
IIRC the female character was a smooth talker character that had about zero combat ability but some sex-appeal perks? the older bald guy was a thief/finesse fighter, not much in the way of combat again the young beastly looking man was the brutish melee fighter. ...wait, that's from FO2. :( argh
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fireandcloud

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]it doesn't take that long. just create a character. but basically, i'm guessing the woman is the finesse character (more for shooting), and the fat guy is for punching people's lights out. i'm guessing the other guy is a smooth operator who tries to talk people into doing things and fixes things and stuff.Makari
IIRC the female character was a smooth talker character that had about zero combat ability but some sex-appeal perks? the older bald guy was a thief/finesse fighter, not much in the way of combat again the young beastly looking man was the brutish melee fighter. ...wait, that's from FO2. :( argh

well, it might be right for fallout 1; i was just guessing. i never played with the stock characters.

pieatorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pieatorium
Member since 2008 • 1012 Posts

I also just started playing this last night, How do I get to Vault 15? I try going there and run into big scorpions that whip my ass around. Any suggestions?TheGTAvaccine

Go to Shady Sands first you can pick up a follower there called Ian he is a pretty decent combat character (small guns and melee if i remember right)

ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 ttomm1946
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts

Hi

It's been a long time since i played..I tried a pre made character but he was a real dud....I had to make my own character to get anywhere...hope it helps

Tom

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I'd suggest making your own as well. Possbily playing through the first parts of the game until you get a feel for it, then if you want go back and tailor a new character to your preferences.

Withe the caveat that im going by memory (havent played the game in some time) I'd says:

Big Guns: Helps you A LOT in the last half of the game

Small Guns: Helps you A LOT in the first half of the game

I'd recommend selecting both even if you only really use each for about half the game