This topic is locked from further discussion.

_synapsid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 _synapsid_
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts
So I'm trying to install Fallout 1 on Vista, its says that Vista doesn't support the game when I start the installation... anyone else having this issue?... anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?
occidental

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 occidental
Member since 2004 • 101 Posts
No, but as an FYI I don't think that XP supports the games either.  I bought the Fallout Collection Bundle from publisher White Label and I can't get it to install on my XPS, which is like a year old.
GlenQuagmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GlenQuagmire
Member since 2003 • 11783 Posts
Does Fallout 2 work on Vista?  I just ordered the collection yesterday, and was looking forward to at least playing Fallout 2.
koza_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 koza_76
Member since 2005 • 338 Posts

http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/fallout-1-2-and-tactics-37/technical-problems-with-fallout-2-check-here-67053.html

Check it out I dunno if it'll help but it's a start. I too also had problems starting the game on XP not installing it though. What I did though was find the fallout exe file, and went into it's properties changed it's campatibility mode to win98. Then it worked. As for Vista, no clue.

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts

No, but as an FYI I don't think that XP supports the games either.  I bought the Fallout Collection Bundle from publisher White Label and I can't get it to install on my XPS, which is like a year old.occidental

Fallout works fine on my installation of xp. Man I really hope that we don't lose the ability to play a ton of old games because of Vista.

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#6 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

[QUOTE="occidental"]No, but as an FYI I don't think that XP supports the games either. I bought the Fallout Collection Bundle from publisher White Label and I can't get it to install on my XPS, which is like a year old.Citan76

Fallout works fine on my installation of xp. Man I really hope that we don't lose the ability to play a ton of old games because of Vista.

That is my worry as well. I hope DosBox for Vista will come out.. and that a compatibility mode is introduced in Vista SP1..

If not There is always Vienna .. which will require a 64bit processor according to PC World.  

thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
I'm currently running all three of the existing Fallout games on Vista with no real issues. I get the occasional game crash but that doesn't happen all that often.
Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

and that a compatibility mode is introduced in Vista SP1..

Alkpaz

You mean like the compatibility mode that is in the current release of Vista?  Because I could have sworn that I could choose a compatibility mode from the properties tab when I checked it 30 seconds ago... 

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#9 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts
[QUOTE="Alkpaz"]

and that a compatibility mode is introduced in Vista SP1..

Ein-7919

You mean like the compatibility mode that is in the current release of Vista? Because I could have sworn that I could choose a compatibility mode from the properties tab when I checked it 30 seconds ago...

I'm still using a single core processor.. so no I do not have Vista.. but I have read PC World's features etc.. and no where did they mention it had a compatibility mode in the OS. Thanks for the update :)

Ein-7919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ein-7919
Member since 2003 • 3490 Posts

I'm still using a single core processor.. so no I do not have Vista.. but I have read PC World's features etc.. and no where did they mention it had a compatibility mode in the OS. Thanks for the update :)

Alkpaz

Ah, I see...in that case, I apologize for the snarky attitude of the second sentence.  I guess it's starting to get to me that some people hate on Vista based on what they've heard instead of what they've experienced.  Hmm...maybe I should see if my Crusader games will run in compatibility mode (haven't tried since my dismal failure with XP comp. mode) 

ohgodchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ohgodchaos
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

hello!

i just installed vista x64 with all the updates out there (sp1) ...

when i install fallout 1, i get no warnings that vista doesn't support this game and the install goes fine

but when i try to run the game it quits a few seconds after the PLEASE STAND BY screen appears

i tried win95/win98,ME/winxp compatibility mode, running as admin (also tried installing as admin), i tried 640x480 mode 256 bit color mode, themes and other on or off nothing changes a thing

i installed it to 2 different locations - d:\fallout and e:\games\interplay\fallout - no difference whatsoever

iirc from earlier after that screen should come the intro movie and i think that's when it quits

all i've found on several forums that ppl are surprised it's running on their vista (x64/x86) :(

please help me get this jewel of RPGs running :(

ps: ah right .. i forgot to mention i've tried running the game without any patches, with the official path and with the two fan patches, still no difference

WWOCTMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WWOCTMM
Member since 2004 • 1065 Posts

hello!

i just installed vista x64 with all the updates out there (sp1) ...

when i install fallout 1, i get no warnings that vista doesn't support this game and the install goes fine

but when i try to run the game it quits a few seconds after the PLEASE STAND BY screen appears

i tried win95/win98,ME/winxp compatibility mode, running as admin (also tried installing as admin), i tried 640x480 mode 256 bit color mode, themes and other on or off nothing changes a thing

i installed it to 2 different locations - d:\fallout and e:\games\interplay\fallout - no difference whatsoever

iirc from earlier after that screen should come the intro movie and i think that's when it quits

all i've found on several forums that ppl are surprised it's running on their vista (x64/x86) :(

please help me get this jewel of RPGs running :(

ps: ah right .. i forgot to mention i've tried running the game without any patches, with the official path and with the two fan patches, still no difference

ohgodchaos
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be here. It worked fine on my old laptop, but when I installed it on my new one, it does the exact thing mentioned above. I've tried the same solutions to no avail either. I'm using Vista premium 32 bit and a Nvidia 8200m