horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I took up Fallout 4 again. Having some random FPS drops. My guess it has to do with loading new content, or my computer has some random background process that loads up now and then, however I want to hear your ideas for what it could be as well.

Specs:

• Win10
  • GPU: RTX 2080
  • Resolution: 3440*1440 (game plays at 2560*1440)
  • CPU: i5 6600K at 4.7GHz
  • RAM: 16GB at 3100MHz
  • Game installed on Intel 120GB SSD (330 or 325 series from 2012)

I got maybe 35 mods running as well. Any ideas, or is it just to be expected from Bethesda made games? :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

Fallout 4 vanilla ran surprisingly well despite the occasional quirk. I have noticed in the past that mods do seem to mess with performance, though, in all Fallout 3+ and TES games.

Idunno I would generally just uninstall all mods when things like this happened, check for compatibility issues between the mods (on forums, readme, etc), and then reinstall them one-by-one and test performance. That's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge waste of time though :D

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Its the combination of it being a Bethesda games you running 35 mods and the fact that you have a 4 core CPU.

Like me you are in need of a CPU upgrade... That being said even if you had a stronger CPU you probably would still have issues with that many mods and it being a Bethesda game.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Its the combination of it being a Bethesda games you running 35 mods and the fact that you have a 4 core CPU.

Like me you are in need of a CPU upgrade... That being said even if you had a stronger CPU you probably would still have issues with that many mods and it being a Bethesda game.

I know. I want a better CPU. Thinking about the 2920X from AMD when it releases... But I already bought a RTX 2080 this year so I kinda spent my budget for PC upgrades.

It's running at 4.7 though. That should help some. But this drop comes only occasionally so I thinking it something interfering or stealing some CPU power. Both CPU and GPU usage drop according MSI afterburner.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Fallout 4 vanilla ran surprisingly well despite the occasional quirk. I have noticed in the past that mods do seem to mess with performance, though, in all Fallout 3+ and TES games.

Idunno I would generally just uninstall all mods when things like this happened, check for compatibility issues between the mods (on forums, readme, etc), and then reinstall them one-by-one and test performance. That's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge waste of time though :D

Had less trouble with maybe 60 mods in Skyrim.

RoleplayGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 RoleplayGaming
Member since 2016 • 52 Posts

With a 1080TI and 6700K at 4.2 I maintained 60+ fps majority of the time but also experienced severe FPS drops when looking/doing certain things in the game. I had around 50 mods active. Your FPS drops are for sure the mods that you are running along with the engine being shitty.

Im assuming you're running the mods with Nexus Manager. If so you can install a program called LOOT which will read your mods and tell you if any of them are conflicting with one another. The order they are in is important for stability and performance. The lighting and particle effect mods have the most impact to performance so disabling those first and seeing what difference they have is where i'd start. Also make sure to install the Unofficial FO4 Patch if you haven't already.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@horgen: Those mods, try to remove them just for a test and see if you get better performance, I would like to think you will see better results.

Mods can make the game heavy.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

@horgen: game or prolly mods, try the following see if it helps.

in nvidia control panel disable shader cache and select maximum performance.

in steam settings , uncheck shader pre caching.

disable game mode in windows, end all unecessary tasks in windows with task manager

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

@roleplaygaming said:

With a 1080TI and 6700K at 4.2 I maintained 60+ fps majority of the time but also experienced severe FPS drops when looking/doing certain things in the game. I had around 50 mods active. Your FPS drops are for sure the mods that you are running along with the engine being shitty.

Im assuming you're running the mods with Nexus Manager. If so you can install a program called LOOT which will read your mods and tell you if any of them are conflicting with one another. The order they are in is important for stability and performance. The lighting and particle effect mods have the most impact to performance so disabling those first and seeing what difference they have is where i'd start. Also make sure to install the Unofficial FO4 Patch if you haven't already.

I use Vortex which seems to have replaced Nexus Mod Manager. None conflicting mods and know the order is important.

It seems both CPU and GPU usage drop quite drastic during these fps drops. Not surprised to see GPU usage drop though.

@PredatorRules said:

@horgen: Those mods, try to remove them just for a test and see if you get better performance, I would like to think you will see better results.

Mods can make the game heavy.

Could be, but these drops are no different than when I was running with single GTX 980Ti.

@urbangamez said:

@horgen: game or prolly mods, try the following see if it helps.

in nvidia control panel disable shader cache and select maximum performance.

in steam settings , uncheck shader pre caching.

disable game mode in windows, end all unecessary tasks in windows with task manager

I will test this, however nothing Windows gives me about this states it should affect performance the way it does.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Try a mod called "FO4W" aka Fallout 4 Works. I'm not entirely sure what it does, but it MASSIVELY improved my FPS on my laptop, especially in Boston, and there is no noticeable quality loss that I can tell.

I don't think it's on the Nexus (maybe it is), so you will have to Google it. Google "FO4W" and it should be the very first result, the one on GitHub.

Worth a shot.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I'm not sure what the reason is, but I experienced it too.

I can't remember if saving and reloading fixed it but it didn't last long and only happened a couple of times throughout my entire playthrough.

Also, I didn't use any mods.