External Hard Drives Used For Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grease_Bits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Grease_Bits
Member since 2004 • 2352 Posts
I have a rather small hard drive(109G) and as a person who plays many different games this fills up rather fast. I'm looking into buying an External Hard Drive to store things such as my movies, music and other files. I got to thinking, with USB 2.0 would it be that fast to install games and play them from the External? Would it be a noticable difference from playing from the Hard Drive? Anyone tried this before, if it's not that noticable I would certainly buy a bigger External than I was planning on.
TheCju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TheCju
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
I use an external hard drive to store all my steam games, and it runs the same as it would on my main drive. I don't think you'll notice any difference.
littlehelp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 littlehelp
Member since 2004 • 1264 Posts
Considering my main HDD is dying, I use a seagate external HDD 7200RPM. Games take a really long time to load on it, and installing and such, but I can listen to music on it and watch movies just fine.
DarCowAlways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 DarCowAlways
Member since 2007 • 571 Posts
Yeah, any storage, including external, can be used for porgrams, and games. I'm sure not all externals will be slow ^^^, but it's porbably not the best thing for games like Crysis ;)