Europa Universalis 4 or Wait?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

So, for the longest time Ive wanted to get into the grand strategy scene but havent bitten the bullet yet. I dont think I own any and as far as I know, the newb friendliest version is EU4. The problem is, Ive been following this game and there is tons of DLC and I dont know whats what.

Additionally, Hearts of Iron 4 is in development and it looks frickin cool. From combat to management it looks even more friendly and immersive than EU4. Day/Night cycle, much more intuitive warfare, and apparently a more quality oriented development cycle. Im really looking forward to playing it or at least its beta so I can test it.

BUT, alas, I dont know what to do. Get EU4 or wait for HI4...?

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

I'd get EU4 while it's on the cheap. Likely, HI4 will come out with a boat load of extra content post-release and you will probably want to wait on that. This link categorizes the DLC's as to what is in them. Obviously, you will want to expansion-level DLC's. The rest are of smaller content such as music packs, portraits, and other minor stuff.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

In terms of user-friendliness and introduction to grand strategy, EU4 is your best bet. Judging by the developer diaries, HoI4 is going to be significantly more casualized than HoI3, but the series is still known for being a new-player-killer. And besides, it's already been delayed a year with no release date announced yet. So I wouldn't hold your breath for anytime soon. Even though we're a rabid audience, the WW2 grand strategy wargaming crowd isn't that big.

Crusader Kings 2 is also not bad, but it's less of a blob simulator (take over all territory in sight with no questions asked) and more of a dynasty simulator (breed everything that moves).

Whatever you do, don't try Victoria 2 until you've got your grand strategy legs. Especially the pops mod.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

lol thats how I understand it. EU4 is the best for newbies. With regards to DLC though, is any of it essential. I keep hearing that none of them are but that they give you boons depending on what you play. Im not against paying $8 for the game right now but if I do end up wanting DLC Ill feel kind of dumb lol. Problem is...as with most of these strategy games I dont usually GET to the DLC. I bought all the DLC for Shogun 2 TW and never played all of it. Same with frickin Civilization 5. It was all worthless in the end. Money wasted. I dont know what to do. Its taking a chance either way lol.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#5 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

To be honest, I haven't picked up EU4. I'm still playing CK2, HoI3, and Vicky 2. But from what I know of those games, about 90% of the DLC is crucial (and I'm talking about the expansion pack DLC, not the little nickel-and-dime crap like portrait packs, unit graphics, music, and stuff like that). From my EU3 days, each DLC made the game much more involved, expanded it, and improved on what was already there. And the way DLC works with Paradox grand strategy games is different than most games; it doesn't add new levels or new guns, it just adds "more." It subtly changes what's already there in a lot of ways.

And besides, it's on a terrific sale right now, so I'd say pull the trigger.