Episode Three + Portal Gun.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Here is a video of the portal gun being used in Half-Life 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm1hEU7lk_w

Tell me what you think about it possibly being in Episode Three.

00Raziel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 00Raziel00
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts
Depends how its used if its used for one puzzle bit then thats ok but if it was used for the whole game it would mix it up too much you could exploit so many things in the game.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 biggest_loser

Depends how its used if its used for one puzzle bit then thats ok but if it was used for the whole game it would mix it up too much you could exploit so many things in the game.00Raziel00

Like what? The portal gun redefines those crazy platform jumping bits..

MasterYevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MasterYevon
Member since 2003 • 6703 Posts
If they do somehow implement the portal gun into a haf life game, then they would have to do it in very specific areas. Otherwise, imagine being able to open up a portal, and therefore teleport to, ANYWHERE you can see in the game world... It's an immense amount of work to create, considering that HL isn't a sandbox game to begin with (and even then it would be a considerable amount of work). Plus you have to think about how it affects the gameplay, the enemies, the scenarios you're trying to create during the game, etc. It's just a ton of work. So if they do implement it in specific areas (i.e. you can't open up a portal anywhere you'd like, just like in Portal), then it would lose the freedom that the portal gun represents in the first place. In Portal the fact that you can't open up a portal anywhere is acceptable because it's a puzzle game, but in a normal FPS like half life, it would seem artificial and intentional rather than natural, like, say, the gravity gun.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

It'd be very awesome, and I really hope that's the direction they're going. The portal gun is awesome, and now that the gravity gun is showing its age as a gameplay mechanic, ep3 needs something like the portal gun to keep things fresh.

The portal gun works excellently as both a puzzle device and a combat mechanic. I was very disappointed with both Episodes so far, so ep3 could be Half Life's saving grace.

Portal only really scraped the surface of the kind of things we can do with the Portal gun, and hopefully ep3 will really flesh out its potential.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 biggest_loser

It'd be very awesome, and I really hope that's the direction they're going. The portal gun is awesome, and now that the gravity gun is showing its age as a gameplay mechanic, ep3 needs something like the portal gun to keep things fresh.

The portal gun works excellently as both a puzzle device and a combat mechanic. I was very disappointed with both Episodes so far, so ep3 could be Half Life's saving grace.

Portal only really scraped the surface of the kind of things we can do with the Portal gun, and hopefully ep3 will really flesh out its potential.

mfsa

What was disappointing about the episodes? They are probably the best 2 HL games to date!! They were rich in their storytelling with some really emotional scenes, unlike any other game, and the visuals were also improved from the predecessors.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mfsa

If they do somehow implement the portal gun into a haf life game, then they would have to do it in very specific areas. Otherwise, imagine being able to open up a portal, and therefore teleport to, ANYWHERE you can see in the game world... It's an immense amount of work to create, considering that HL isn't a sandbox game to begin with (and even then it would be a considerable amount of work). MasterYevon

They could easily overcome that hurdle by placing a maximum range on the shots - plus we know that it only works on certain surface types. It may feel a little contrived unless executed properly, but I think Valve knows the score - they can pull it off. Plus, it's possible that some or all of the episode will take place in a confined area... the only way we're going to get the portal gun is by going on that boat or into a lab of some kind... they could limit it to indoor areas if need be.

Plus you have to think about how it affects the gameplay, the enemies, the scenarios you're trying to create during the game, etc. It's just a ton of work. So if they do implement it in specific areas (i.e. you can't open up a portal anywhere you'd like, just like in Portal), then it would lose the freedom that the portal gun represents in the first place. In Portal the fact that you can't open up a portal anywhere is acceptable because it's a puzzle game, but in a normal FPS like half life, it would seem artificial and intentional rather than natural, like, say, the gravity gun.MasterYevon

Yeah, I agree - but at the same time, Valve would not build a Half Life 2 episode and then just stick the portal gun in, like modders have done with HL2 - they would build the whole game around the portal gun. I think it would be no more of a contrivance than the gravity gun when the game is built around it, in the same way HL2's combat was built around the physics engine and the gravity gun rather than the gravity gun just being stuck in there. I agree that striking that balance between freedom and contrivance is the major factor of the portal gun's success - but I have confienve in Valve's ability.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mfsa
[QUOTE="mfsa"]

biggest_loser

What was disappointing about the episodes? They are probably the best 2 HL games to date!! They were rich in their storytelling with some really emotional scenes, unlike any other game, and the visuals were also improved from the predecessors.

The thing that makes Half Life 2 brilliant for me is how the game's scenario is constantly shifting - how you're exploring a 1984-style dystopia, then you're in a crazy unarmed escape from the law, then you fall into a series of cool firefights, then you're speeding down a waterway in a hovercraft, then you're playing catch with a giant robot dog, you're stalking through a creepy horror movie style town, you're driving a Mad Max style buggy, you're in your own version of the movie Tremors, you're leading a team of giant insecoids on a prison raid, you're engaging War of the Worlds style walkers in rooftop battles...

What made HL2 so awesome for me was the way the game is constantly shifting, and the sheer number of cool little set pieces in there. I think HL2 has some pretty mediocre gunplay, but it didn't even matter because the gunplay was frankly a secondary element in Half Life 2. I don't even think of the game as a First Person Shooter.

But the episodes, both are very gunplay-oriented, there isn't much change in scenario (in either location or substance) and there aren't too many cool set pieces. Plus, those simple physics 'puzzles' are really getting old now. I mean, ep2 as an example - the first hour or so was just spent running through some caverns, killing a few antlions. It was boring as hell, and it ate up about a quarter of the entire episode.The first set piece, the bit with the antlions and turrets, was pretty great - but it's also a recycled version of something that happened in HL2.

And that's really how I feel about both episodes. They lack the diversity and the variety of HL2 while also recycling elements of the game in uninspired and repetitive ways, while also focusing on what is by far the weakest element of HL2 - its gunplay. I would happy call HL2 a 10/10 game, but neither episode is worthy of more than 6/10 in my opinion. There's too little diversity, too much gunplay and a hell of a lot of recycling.

The story elements are great, but they also account for less than 10% of the game. HL2 is a very world-driven game, but it's not a particularly story driven game. If they had focused more on storytelling, I would factor it into my opinion of the game a little more... but it's just a minor element, good or bad.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="mfsa"]

mfsa

The thing that makes Half Life 2 brilliant for me is how the game's scenario is constantly shifting - how you're exploring a 1984-style dystopia, then you're in a crazy unarmed escape from the law, then you fall into a series of cool firefights, then you're speeding down a waterway in a hovercraft, then you're playing catch with a giant robot dog, you're stalking through a creepy horror movie style town, you're driving a Mad Max style buggy, you're in your own version of the movie Tremors, you're leading a team of giant insecoids on a prison raid, you're engaging War of the Worlds style walkers in rooftop battles...

What made HL2 so awesome for me was the way the game is constantly shifting, and the sheer number of cool little set pieces in there. I think HL2 has some pretty mediocre gunplay, but it didn't even matter because the gunplay was frankly a secondary element in Half Life 2. I don't even think of the game as a First Person Shooter.

But the episodes, both are very gunplay-oriented, there isn't much change in scenario (in either location or substance) and there aren't too many cool set pieces. Plus, those simple physics 'puzzles' are really getting old now. I mean, ep2 as an example - the first hour or so was just spent running through some caverns, killing a few antlions. The first set piece, the bit with the antlions and turrets, was pretty great - but it's also a recycled version of something that happened in HL2.

And that's really how I feel about both episodes. They lack the diversity and the variety of HL2 while also recycling elements of the game in uninspired and repetitive ways, while also focusing on what is by far the weakest element of HL2 - its gunplay. I would happy call HL2 a 10/10 game, but neither episode is worthy of more than 6/10 in my opinion.

Oh c'mon man. Half-Life 2 is all about the gunplay. Its a shooter - thats what you're doing for 90% of the game - lets not split hairs. No cool set pieces? What about the white forest? The incident with Alyx, the healing, the chase with the antlion boss, Magmusson. The game is made up entirely of SET PIECES!! What about in EP1? That bit where Alyx presses her fingers against the glass to say goodbye to her dad? Weren't you MOVED!? lol.

Weren't you taken in by the atmosphere of the caverns and their beauty? Didn't you feel claustraphobic and everything? Its a really cynical way to look at the game and say its recycling things - its all part of the same universe of course there are going to be similiar elements. They might not be as diverse because of the short length but they are a hell of a lot tighter in story telling than HL2. Remember how long that water boat section went on for? Way too long....you're given small doses of all the great things in each of the episodes. And don't tell me that you aren't engaged by the characters. The ending of EP2 is one of the most stirring and powerful I have seen in years...and this is just a GAME remember!!

---n00b_kid---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 ---n00b_kid---
Member since 2007 • 803 Posts

I voted 'yes', but only if it is used in puzzle areas, instead of the gravity gun.

Portal gun would not work well in combat, except against turrets. Throwing grenades or objects at the turrets might be easier.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 biggest_loser
Yeah but what if you could open up a portal next a turret and then throw a grenade throw another so it would land right next to the turret. It would work in combat if you could set up a trap or something. This is Valves greatest test as a developer i have a feeling...
Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts

Only if its used in puzzles or other areas like that. If its part of Gordons everyday arsenal, then no. Would make the game a bit easy.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 biggest_loser

Only if its used in puzzles or other areas like that. If its part of Gordons everyday arsenal, then no. Would make the game a bit easy.

Kolossi

How would you restrict it from being in Gordon's arsenal though? Thats the only way you're going to have access to it? Like you can't just have it for one puzzle section and then have it taken away.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
i've been dreaming of this since having played episode 2 and portal; combining the 2 would be freaking awesome! but they'd have to work out some kinks. like when you shoot 2 portals on the floor, one over a person - it'll look ridiculous to have a person bopping back and forth between 2 portals like inanimate objects do. it'll require a LOT of playtesting to get things right, so perhaps this isn't for episode 3. but i hope that half-life 3 will feature the portal gun.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 biggest_loser

I'm telling you now I think it will be in Episode Three. When this is released we may never know.

Lol, i wonder if i told you the story of what happened at EB. I asked the guy when he thought it would be out: He glared at me and said "Are you kidding me! It hasn't even been announced yet! 1-2 Years!" *Glares*

What a jerk aye? Fancy talking to your customers like that?

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mfsa

Oh c'mon man. Half-Life 2 is all about the gunplay. Its a shooter - thats what you're doing for 90% of the game - lets not split hairs. biggest_loser

Yeah, but I don't think of it as a first person shooter. I think the other elements of the game, being better, better describe what the game is all about. I think it's an adventure game in which you can (and, fair enough, have to) kill enemies. It's just that in other FPS games, it's all about the gunplay... the act of running down a corridor while shooting enemies. But HL2, I just didn't have that feeling. What kept me playing wasn't the gunplay, it was seeing what would happen next. With other FPS games, the only thing that keeps me playing is the fun of the gunplay.

No cool set pieces? What about the white forest? The incident with Alyx, the healing, the chase with the antlion boss, Magmusson. The game is made up entirely of SET PIECES!! What about in EP1? That bit where Alyx presses her fingers against the glass to say goodbye to her dad? Weren't you MOVED!? lol. biggest_loser

As far as gameplay driven setpieces go, the only two that impress me over the whole of ep1 and 2 combined are white forest (though this was only initially cool, it quickly became formulaic and lost its awesomeness-effect) and the lights out at the lift scene in ep1. They're both great moments, but I think they're the only two bits that can stand toe to toe with HL2. The rest are just pretty mediocre in my opinion.

As for storytelling moments - yeah, the episodes are better than HL2... but as I said, storytelling in HL2 and the episodes is such a minor element of the game that, even though excellently well done, is too minor an element for me to really factor it highly in the game's overall quality. It's like having two awesome minutes in an otherwise boring ninety minute film. Do those two minutes somehow improve or negate the quality of the rest of the film? Not in my opinion. They're great, just insignificant in the big picture.

Weren't you taken in by the atmosphere of the caverns and their beauty? Didn't you feel claustraphobic and everything? biggest_loser

No.

Its a really cynical way to look at the game and say its recycling things - its all part of the same universe of course there are going to be similiar elements.biggest_loser

Maybe, I do expect to be playing more of the same when I buy an expansion... but that's exactly why I don't think the episodes are as good. Whenever you copy something - be it your own work or someone else's, it's just not as good. And they aren't similar, they're copies. The antlion/turret set piece was done in HL2 almost the same way. It's not that it's bad, just that I can play HL2 for free if I want to play HL2 again.

They might not be as diverse because of the short length but they are a hell of a lot tighter in story telling than HL2. Remember how long that water boat section went on for? Way too long....you're given small doses of all the great things in each of the episodes.biggest_loser

We are given small doses, but I don't think we're given small doses of the right things. There's too much focus on gunplay (and a lot of the gunplay is generic - something HL2 especially doesn't excel at) and long stretches of driving interspersed with mediocre, generic gunplay. HL2 had a lot more than that, and it was also more original.

And don't tell me that you aren't engaged by the characters. The ending of EP2 is one of the most stirring and powerful I have seen in years...and this is just a GAME remember!! biggest_loser

Yeah, it's great - but as I say, it's also a very minor element of the game. I would have gotten more out of a Metal Gear Solid style two hours of gameplay & two hours of story sequences than twenty minutes of story sequences and three and a half hours of gameplay. The story sequences and all the nuances of the characters are the best thing in ep2, but they are too few and far between to really make the games anything special for me.

And I think Valve is aware of that. That's why they threw in TF2 and Portal. I bet Episode3 ships with extras, too. Half Life 2's expansions just aren't good enough by themselves. I really hope this isn't Valve's future, because I am very unimpressed with the standard of the Episodes. Still, Valve is responsible for almost half a dozen masterpieces. That's enough for any company.

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
I always wanted HL2 to be more open and less linear and when they did it with Episode 2 at the very end i hated it lol, i prefered it when it was more linear. So i think it would be much easier to put the portal gun in a more linear envrioment and ir eckon they'll be working towards a more open game so i doubt it'll be in there unless you go into that portal place in episode 3.
Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts
If they do, it would have to be like it needs a special batery, and the charge is only usable in like a certain "radiation" of some energy source. but it would be fun, if there was a tank or something and you open a hole in it and kill the crew.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
No, I don't think it would work well with combat. It would be great if you could use it during an escape sequence though. Maybe there could be a scene where Gordan gets stripped of all his weapons, and he's being chased down by Combine, antlions, headcrabs, whatever. He finds the Portal Gun and has to use it to escape while being shot at.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
portal gun + gravity gun = endless possibilities. Let's just hope Valve puts them in well designed levels.
Rotinaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rotinaj32
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts

I somehow doubt you yourself will get to use it, considering they have never made a model for Gordon Freeman in game (Opposing Forces did, but that wasn't valve) and if you do get it you would certainly be able to see yourself. Also if you got it would be a ton more work with balancing it and getting actual human ai to react with it (turrets are far from lifelike). Also none of the episodes added new weapons, I doubt they would change this on the last one.

As cool as the portal gun is, it would kinda be lame if they are making a second portal AND adding it into EP3. Its like yeah, you have a cool concept but are overusing it until it becomes lame. I trust in valve to keep HL series fresh by trying new things and I doubt it will play a huge part in EP3, if one at all.

Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

portal gun + gravity gun = endless possibilities. Let's just hope Valve puts them in well designed levels.Qixote

I voted no, and that is the answer... That combination has ENDLESS gameplay possibilities. Sure, it always nice to sort something out in different ways. It gives the game a little "sanbox" feeling. But I believe that Valve would make a mistake by putting the PG in Ep 3. Half Life is NOT about sandbox gameplay. Its about facing enemies and scripted scenes (at least, thats what HL2 and the episodes showed me). So by putting the PG in the game, the developers would loose their major storytelling element: triggered scripted scenes. You could go anywhere and skip LARGE parts of the maps, loosing parts of the story.

Its possible that with some sort of "control" mechanism, the PG could be a great addition to Ep 3 (with control mechanism I mean like giving you a limited supply of "portals", or making it a close range thing, or restrict it to certain parts of the game, like when you loose the GG to that forcefield and later you get it back).

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 biggest_loser
Oh c'mon. The stories between EP2 and portal link together - its going to happen. There will not be a Portal 2 - so what else do you think they're going to do with it? It will be in there. And EP2 did add a new weapon - the sticky bomb against the striders.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mfsa

Oh c'mon. The stories between EP2 and portal link together - its going to happen. There will not be a Portal 2 - so what else do you think they're going to do with it? It will be in there. And EP2 did add a new weapon - the sticky bomb against the striders. biggest_loser

Has valve announced that? I'm not going to draw any conclusions, but someone in the Portal audio commentary says something like in this first Portal game...

I don't remember which commentary it was exactly, but I could probably find it again tomorrow if you want proof. It hadly confirms that another Portal game is coming, only that the portal technology will be used again - but it is suggestive because he describes it as the first Portal game, implying more to come.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Not only would it not add to the gameplay (HL2 is about shooting and telling a story, not puzzle solving) but Gordon was never a member of the Aperture Science test team and was not trained to operate the device and thus would most likely kill himself figuring out how to use the complex device.

Has valve announced that? I'm not going to draw any conclusions, but someone in the Portal audio commentary says something like in this first Portal game...

I don't remember which commentary it was exactly, but I could probably find it again tomorrow if you want proof. It hadly confirms that another Portal game is coming, only that the portal technology will be used again - but it is suggestive because he describes it as the first Portal game, implying more to come.mfsa

The ending of Portal itself pretty much confirms a second game. The only thing it didn't do was say: "there will be a second Portal."

DarkRecruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 DarkRecruit
Member since 2005 • 3391 Posts
Not only would it not add to the gameplay (HL2 is about shooting and telling a story, not puzzle solving) but Gordon was never a member of the Aperture Science test team and was not trained to operate the device and thus would most likely kill himself figuring out how to use the complex device.

[QUOTE="mfsa"]Has valve announced that? I'm not going to draw any conclusions, but someone in the Portal audio commentary says something like in this first Portal game...

I don't remember which commentary it was exactly, but I could probably find it again tomorrow if you want proof. It hadly confirms that another Portal game is coming, only that the portal technology will be used again - but it is suggestive because he describes it as the first Portal game, implying more to come.foxhound_fox

The ending of Portal itself pretty much confirms a second game. The only thing it didn't do was say: "there will be a second Portal."

It could mean you meet Glados in the Aperature Science ship, the Borealis, that you have to go to. And there Glados might give you a portal gun.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 biggest_loser

[QUOTE="mfsa"]Has valve announced that? I'm not going to draw any conclusions, but someone in the Portal audio commentary says something like in this first Portal game...

I don't remember which commentary it was exactly, but I could probably find it again tomorrow if you want proof. It hadly confirms that another Portal game is coming, only that the portal technology will be used again - but it is suggestive because he describes it as the first Portal game, implying more to come.foxhound_fox

How does the ending of portal automatically confirm a second game? That perposterous

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Not only would it not add to the gameplay (HL2 is about shooting and telling a story, not puzzle solving) but Gordon was never a member of the Aperture Science test team and was not trained to operate the device and thus would most likely kill himself figuring out how to use the complex device.

I don't remember which commentary it was exactly, but I could probably find it again tomorrow if you want proof. It hadly confirms that another Portal game is coming, only that the portal technology will be used again - but it is suggestive because he describes it as the first Portal game, implying more to come.DarkRecruit

It could mean you meet Glados in the Aperature Science ship, the Borealis, that you have to go to. And there Glados might give you a portal gun.

That is much more likely than the confirmation of a second portal game based on the ending thats for sure. Although would Glados and her humour fit in with that of the HL universe? Now Im only speculating here. How would Glados a giant computer be onboard that boat. Sure we know the ol' girl is alive but can you see what I'm getting at? I wonder what this boat will be like? Linear/Non-linear? So much intrigue into this new Episode, which how we're all playing exactly into Valves hands really lol, and thats a good thing!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
How does the ending of portal automatically confirm a second game? That perposterousbiggest_loser
[spoiler] GLaDOS and Chell get sucked up out of the Science lab and into the open environment. The ending song suggests that GLaDOS is still alive and doing science that needs to be done... as in more experiments in a entirely different and non-controllable environment. [/spoiler]
If there was ever an ending that suggested a second game more blatantly I don't know what it is.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
I think the only tie-in to Portal will be you have to destroy Glados in EP 3 before the Combine find her. She's probably stashed away in the Borealis doing portal science experiments like she was programmed to do.
Rotinaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rotinaj32
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts

Um, HL2 EP2 did NOT add a new weapon to your arsenal, it added something else to use with the gravity gun. With that logic you could say the garden gnome was a new weapon, the flares were a new weapon. It was a new game mechanic yes, but it was definitely NOT a new weapon added to gordons arsenal. I still stand by the fact that they wont add any new weapon to Gordon's arsenal for EP3 and that includes the portal gun. However, I wouldn't be suprised if the portal gun makes an appearance (most likely on another char) in the game, but to give it to Gordon permanately would alter HL way too much.

You still haven't explained why they would show gordon considering valve has NEVER done that and I don't see that changing after 4 games. Also it isn't a very efficient game mechanic for HL2. For one you would have to relearn the whole portal mechanic because valve never assumes you've played any previous game which would take too long. Secondly the portal gun was designed for indoor puzzle gameplay where the primary challenge is the environment and unitelligble turrets. Half life on the otherhand is primarily an action game with around 10-15% puzzle based gameplay and has much more complex and larger environments than Portal. So either valve would completely change how EP3 plays, and after 3 HL2 games I highly doubt that or they use the portal gun in not its ideal environment and ruin what was great about it.

I still don't see your point to this, Half-life is a completely different game than Portal, and while I love both games they don't mesh that well in terms of gameplay and environment. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
Wouldn't work well I don't think and it will make half-life something it isn't. I'd rather the portal gun not be used extensively if at all in ep 3. Half-life is a great game without the portal gun. I could use some new portal puzzle maps though and portal multiplayer.
poopshanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 poopshanks
Member since 2005 • 231 Posts

what EP3 needs is more story. HL2 never really focuses on events from HL1. sure they mention them and have some cutscenes with gman but they merely mention them not continue them. i found HL1s story to be the greatest part of the game then gameplay. HL2 was excellent gameplay but the story dissapointed me. Gman just never really showed up much afterwards and black mesa became tags on the walls and a little intermission here and there. they just need to bring back to story of HL1 or focus on sumthing somewhat relevant like explaining gman and his purpose or existance and places like xen, etc, etc.

as for the portal gun they could construct levels around it but to keep from unfair gameplay you could maybe have a timer on portals or an amount of portals you can actually use until they are either all closed or you find some form of ammunition (not sure what that would be it would have to be up to the developers lol) maybe they can pull the blue gravity gun type of gameplay there ur gravity gun can transform into the portal gun but only in certain parts of the game like the original did in the citadel

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 foggy666
Member since 2003 • 1123 Posts
As much as I liked Portal I wouldn't like to see Episode 3+ Portal gun, it will make the whole game a pazzle game, and I really like shooting.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mfsa

You still haven't explained why they would show gordon considering valve has NEVER done that and I don't see that changing after 4 games.Rotinaj32

They've never had a reason to - the absense of a model of Freeman is proof of nothing other than Valve not choosing to put any mirrors in the game. I don't see why Valve would have some problem showing the Freeman model when there's a legitimate reason to actually show it - as with the portal gun.

Also it isn't a very efficient game mechanic for HL2. For one you would have to relearn the whole portal mechanic because valve never assumes you've played any previous game which would take too long. Rotinaj32

Not really. The Portal team went way overboard trying to teach us how to use the portal gun. They could have summed the whole training up into about ten minutes if they'd wanted to - it just seems like their private inside screening groups were extremely stupid, or not gamers. Judging from the adui commentary, they don't think the way we do. Also, neither episode requires Half life 2 to play, but they didn't have any expansive training sequences on using the gravity gun.

Secondly the portal gun was designed for indoor puzzle gameplay where the primary challenge is the environment and unitelligble turrets. Half life on the otherhand is primarily an action game with around 10-15% puzzle based gameplay and has much more complex and larger environments than Portal.Rotinaj32

Firstly, they could build an indoor sequence specifically for theportal gun.There are numerous moments in HL2 and the episodes where we spend upwards of an hour almost entirely indoors. Given that the episode will only be about four hours long, judging from ep1 and 2, that's more than enough time. Secondly,would you be saying the same thing about thegravity gun ifHL2 had shipped with some gravity-based puzzle game? Would you be saying that the gravity gun is not equipped for combat?Theportal gunhas some very interesting and fun combat applications, just like the gravity gun. You just have to know how to be creative - having thought about it, it is very obviously an effective weapon to me. I can even think of deathmatch applications. It just takes the right environment and certain rules.

So either valve would completely change how EP3 plays, and after 3 HL2 games I highly doubt that or they use the portal gun in not its ideal environment and ruin what was great about it.Rotinaj32

Firstly, I - and many other people - think a shakedown is exactly what HL2 needs. Episode 1 was boring. Episode 2 was boring. The Portal gun can breathe new life into Half Life 2's formula. After three games, that's exactly what it needs. Something to freshen things up. Secondly, how do you know it won't be used in its ideal environment? We have no idea what will happen in Episode 3, or where.

I still don't see your point to this, Half-life is a completely different game than Portal, and while I love both games they don't mesh that well in terms of gameplay and environment. It just doesn't make sense to me. Rotinaj32

And yet, Valve went to very deliberate lengths to include an Aperature Science connection at the end of Episode 2. There is absolutely no reason to show that unless they want to make a direct connection with Portal and the portal gun. Why else bother unless at the very least they want us to think the portal gun is going to be in there. We all associate the portal gun with Aperature Science, it's all we know, and Valve made a very deliberate reference to Aperature Science in Episode 2. That is as direct a reference to the portal gun as you can get without actually showing the gun.

It is not proof, granted, but it is highly suggestive. And we have to look and ask why Valve would be willing to make such a deliberate and such a suggestive connection between the Half Life and Portal worlds.