Epic Games vs Steam?

#1 Edited by Naixard (12 posts) -

Many people have been wanting a new platform to compete against Steam, and now that Epic Games has appeared there are lots of complaints - yes, it means a new launcher that requires a little effort on our part. However, what are at the root of most current criticism against EG are its "exlusive policies". That Metro exodus became an epic exclusive all of a sudden a few days before its release it was a great shock. But this cannot be considered exclusivity in the same sense as with console games. Everyone who has a pc can play any of these games but instead of buying it on one store you have to go to another. So what do you think? Is it that bad to have another launcher? This is just competition. Besides, Epic is giving for free many different high-quality games each month.

#2 Edited by BassMan (10038 posts) -

I don't like the idea of exclusives, but as long as I don't have to subscribe to a service to get access to these exclusives (Netflix), I am okay with it. The ability to buy the exclusive games individually makes it alright as you are only inconvenienced by the launcher and there is no other financial commitment. Still, I would prefer to buy a game from the store of my choosing and enjoy competitive pricing.

#3 Posted by urbangamez (3471 posts) -

not a bad idea to have another launcher, i think its great, competition is great, i am happy with what epic is doing so far, they have added quantic dream's games in addition to the timed exclusives, now if they can get naughty dog's unchrarted series and guerilla's killzone and horizon zero dawn on their platform then i will be impressed. too much to hope spiderman as well

#4 Posted by VagrantSnow (272 posts) -

I don't mind their attempt to compete and if it was only based on their 12% cut I would be fine with it. Heck, I'm surprised EA or Ubisoft didn't think of it first for their own launchers. However I don't agree with their practices when it comes to exclusivity; particularly when it comes to games that were already advertised and already being sold on steam. Leaves a bad impression on their character and integrity and leaves me disinclined to use their store at all.

#5 Posted by rmpumper (563 posts) -

@urbangamez said:

not a bad idea to have another launcher, i think its great, competition is great, i am happy with what epic is doing so far, they have added quantic dream's games in addition to the timed exclusives, now if they can get naughty dog's unchrarted series and guerilla's killzone and horizon zero dawn on their platform then i will be impressed. too much to hope spiderman as well

Epic has nothing to do with QD being on PC, genius. QD was bought by a Chinese company and SONY lost their exclusives rights as a result - QD will be self publishing their games from now on.

#6 Posted by Naixard (12 posts) -

@vagrantsnow: I know that agressive practices like that produce an absolutely negative impression but it's the only way to stand a fight against Steam. And, hey, I've got nothing against Steam, it has done a lot both for the video game industry and players but a company having so much power and so few rivals makes me feel uneasy...

#7 Posted by pyro1245 (4926 posts) -

Epic's support for game devs is great. The revenue split is competitive and is a great way to shake up the industry.

I just wish they would focus on consumers a little more. They need to give people a reason to use the service that's not 'We are holding games hostage'.

If they want to buy exclusivity, fine - As long as I don't have to buy new hardware that doesn't run the game well (my main gripe with consoles). Just give your user some quality of life features that we've been accustomed to for almost 20 years now.

#8 Edited by uninspiredcup (32821 posts) -

Funneling third party games as exclusive is not good competition

#9 Posted by Horgen (120167 posts) -

@urbangamez said:

It will require some work porting PS4 exclusives to PC.

#10 Posted by urbangamez (3471 posts) -

@rmpumper said:
@urbangamez said:

Epic has nothing to do with QD being on PC, genius. QD was bought by a Chinese company and SONY lost their exclusives rights as a result - QD will be self publishing their games from now on.

and they published them on epic not steam. the fact is there is more money to be made. now sony can take advantage of the epic monetary split vis a vie steam or hold onto them and limit profits.

@horgen said:
@urbangamez said:

It will require some work porting PS4 exclusives to PC.

true. but if epic can show them the money i think they will at least try with one title and if it goes well the others should follow.

#11 Posted by Horgen (120167 posts) -

@urbangamez: Sony would lose to much on it.

#12 Posted by urbangamez (3471 posts) -

@horgen: i think they would make money being that a lot of people only have only the pc or the pc and an xbox who have not played these games in addition a lot people who played these games on playstation wouldn't mind playing them over on pc becuz the pc is just better. also becuz some of these titles are legendary these games would draw in new players who would much prefer to have the experience on pc.

i would cite as evidence capcom with the resident evil series and square with the final fantasy series. capcom especially made a lot of money and they released their titles on steam which takes a lot more money than epic.

#13 Posted by lucidique (570 posts) -

@naixard said:

Many people have been wanting a new platform to compete against Steam, and now that Epic Games has appeared there are lots of complaints - yes, it means a new launcher that requires a little effort on our part. However, what are at the root of most current criticism against EG are its "exlusive policies". That Metro exodus became an epic exclusive all of a sudden a few days before its release it was a great shock. But this cannot be considered exclusivity in the same sense as with console games. Everyone who has a pc can play any of these games but instead of buying it on one store you have to go to another. So what do you think? Is it that bad to have another launcher? This is just competition. Besides, Epic is giving for free many different high-quality games each month.

There are free games giveaway on Steam almost on a weekly basis. Steam has gotten so big that sometimes, finding relevant information about the games you may care about becomes difficult.

If anything, aside from the 88% cut, Epic's biggest advantage for developers is visibility, but that's bound to change quickly.

#14 Posted by warmblur (2165 posts) -

I rather use GFWL then .

Loading Video...

#15 Posted by GMAK2442 (954 posts) -

Steam is a pro program in my book: A lot of features and options. It's not the case with Epic: I say it's minimalist.

In this case, that the new distributing platform don't offer something better beside new games, I wish Steam could have stay the only one.

But I understand that we are the Free-Market so I don't complaint.

#16 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (5173 posts) -

I'll always be a Steam PC gamer. Epic's poaching practices seem far too predatory for me.

#17 Edited by Litchie (23718 posts) -

On Epic Games Store I get a worse price than Steam, way less features, I'm splitting my library and, most of all, I support very shitty practices. I'm not touching that store with a 10 foot pole. If I have the option to get a game on either Epic Games Store or Windows Store, like with the upcoming The Outer Worlds, I'll get it on Windows Store no doubt. If Epic Games Store is the only option? Piratebay.

#18 Edited by Yams1980 (3435 posts) -

I heard the Epic stores launcher is packed with Chinese malware datamining software. Not sure if its true or not, but it feels like its probably likely because of the weird jerky response by one of the big shots from Epic. I never seen such a poor denial before.

I wouldn't install this launcher on anything unless you don't mind your PC being monitored by the chinese regime.

And of course, this could be purely innocent and just being used for advertising purposes, but any kind of backdoor into your pc is always a risk and can be exploited and this is why i'll never use this launcher. You'd be better off trusting a pirated game than anything from Epic.

#19 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10329 posts) -

I like that Steam is getting competition, but I don't like Epics approach. I am strongly against any exclusives and the way Epic holds game shostage is just wrong IMO.

#20 Posted by MirkoS77 (14056 posts) -

As long as Epic holds games hostage in exclusivity to compensate for their lack of features compared to their competitors, I won’t support them. Once they improve their service and bring it up to parity, I’ll consider it.

#21 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5073 posts) -

It's really a shame. Metro Exodus was my most anticipated game this year. Now I can't play it until next year. Outer Worlds doesn't bother me as much as I can get it on the Windows Store, but it's still shitty. Borderlands 3 is only 6 months exclusive but still awful. I used to hold Epic to such a high standard due to the Unreal Engine as well as many childhood favorite games (especially Unreal Tournament) but their reputation with me went straight into the gutter in the last year or so.

#22 Posted by AryannaLao (73 posts) -

skidrowreloaded and fitgirl repacks ftw hahaha

jk, of course it's STEAM for me