Electronic Arts will 'push forward' with loot boxes in future games

Avatar image for PredatorRules
#1 Posted by PredatorRules (12213 posts) -

The publisher said it is working with regulators to ensure that its games do not break any laws.

Belgium's Gaming Commission recently declared that the loot boxes in FIFA 18 contravene the country's gambling regulations, although ironically, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, the game that started the loot box uproar, was found to be in compliance with the law. The Netherlands has also warned that "enforcement action" could be taken against game publishers whose loot boxes violate regulations

Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/electronic-arts-will-push-forward-with-loot-boxes-in-future-games/

EA - not sure if stupid or just really overpowered...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b01abbec19e9
#2 Posted by deactivated-5b01abbec19e9 (104 posts) -

Kinda sucks. The worst part is that I know a lot of friends that'd probably whale on Fifa points every year, so this shit keeps happening. Too bad EA don't have any good games other than Battlefield at this point, and they'd have to earn a lot of trust to get me to buy a potential Skate 4

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#3 Posted by mrbojangles25 (41842 posts) -

I find it funny they have to "push forward" with loot boxes, that implies there is some sort of struggle. Almost like society, governments, and customers don't want them!?

And of course they'll say "people want them, they still buy our games after all!" but the fact is people would still buy Battlefront 2 even if it gave them the flu.

Avatar image for tryit
#4 Posted by TryIt (11517 posts) -

Here is what EA said in regards to another financial manipulation in a different game.

'We innovate too much'

bad developers can not be forced into being good developers, people should decide if they want to play these games or not.

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#5 Posted by with_teeth26 (8900 posts) -
@tryit said:

Here is what EA said in regards to another financial manipulation in a different game.

'We innovate too much'

bad developers can not be forced into being good developers, people should decide if they want to play these games or not.

the problem with EA is that there are some good developers stuck under an asshat of a publisher

Avatar image for tryit
#6 Posted by TryIt (11517 posts) -
@with_teeth26 said:
@tryit said:

Here is what EA said in regards to another financial manipulation in a different game.

'We innovate too much'

bad developers can not be forced into being good developers, people should decide if they want to play these games or not.

the problem with EA is that there are some good developers stuck under an asshat of a publisher

not sure if that is true or not but its possible

regardless of that, its hard to 'force' a bad company into being a good company.

it might be better to find better games, taking that route requires an open mind but they are out there

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#7 Posted by uninspiredcup (28102 posts) -

They still keep up the facade after all this time, like, they aren't scum.

Avatar image for urbangamez
#8 Edited by urbangamez (3362 posts) -

now that supreme court, here in the u.s has ruled favorably in the gambling case, gambling and loot boxes are gonna be a part of gaming from now on. there is no way around it

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#9 Posted by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -
@PredatorRules said:

EA - not sure if stupid or just really overpowered...

Is it really EA's fault though when it's the GAMERS that keep using the loot boxes and micros transactions ?

If gamers stopped using them, then no company would implement them.

Avatar image for PredatorRules
#10 Posted by PredatorRules (12213 posts) -
@FelipeInside said:
@PredatorRules said:

EA - not sure if stupid or just really overpowered...

Is it really EA's fault though when it's the GAMERS that keep using the loot boxes and micros transactions ?

If gamers stopped using them, then no company would implement them.

It's not EA's fault but when it comes to gambling there is a minimum age restriction at least at my country (minimum age of 18), so you're actually breaking the law when you allow such thing to happen whether within your game or in some country, in other words if your game age restriction is 14 and above just before you enter that gambling option within that game you should inform the player about min age restriction and the user should "read" and approve. Just like when you start a game and you've got terms of use.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#11 Posted by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -
@PredatorRules said:
@FelipeInside said:
@PredatorRules said:

EA - not sure if stupid or just really overpowered...

Is it really EA's fault though when it's the GAMERS that keep using the loot boxes and micros transactions ?

If gamers stopped using them, then no company would implement them.

just before you enter that gambling option within that game you should inform the player about min age restriction and the user should "read" and approve.

Well isn't all that in the terms and conditions of use ?

Avatar image for PredatorRules
#12 Posted by PredatorRules (12213 posts) -
@FelipeInside said:
@PredatorRules said:
@FelipeInside said:
@PredatorRules said:

EA - not sure if stupid or just really overpowered...

Is it really EA's fault though when it's the GAMERS that keep using the loot boxes and micros transactions ?

If gamers stopped using them, then no company would implement them.

just before you enter that gambling option within that game you should inform the player about min age restriction and the user should "read" and approve.

Well isn't all that in the terms and conditions of use ?

I don't think so, gambling in game and playing the actual game are two different things, it's not like you're playing Diablo and try your luck to get random item with better stats from in game currency that you can't buy.

Avatar image for Enragedhydra
#13 Posted by Enragedhydra (894 posts) -

Well I won't buy an EA games. Screw them. Other developers can have my cash.