Elder Scrolls Online, success or failed attempt? Your guess?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for BSC14
#1 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

Curious where you guys think it will land. I'll probably end up buying it but I'm still unsure how well it will do.

Avatar image for Sweetbackhair
#2 Posted by Sweetbackhair (2914 posts) -

I think it'll be a hit.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (25621 posts) -

I think the over monetization will effect it on the pc but not so much on consoles.

Avatar image for johnd13
#5 Posted by johnd13 (9304 posts) -

I think it will deliver on what it promises.

Avatar image for ferrari2001
#6 Posted by ferrari2001 (17762 posts) -

It was a decent game overall and quite good for an MMO. I think it will do moderately well. It won't dethrone WoW but it should still pull in decent subs.

Avatar image for vfibsux
#7 Posted by vfibsux (4497 posts) -

Free to play in the first year. Good enough for f2p, but not for a sub.

Avatar image for cyloninside
#8 Posted by cyloninside (815 posts) -

considering the game is downright bad.... complete miss. combat is awful, graphics arent as good as skyrim, exploration is not there, game doesnt feel like a TES game at all....

Avatar image for BSC14
#9 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

Free to play in the first year. Good enough for f2p, but not for a sub.

I think you're right on the $$ here.

It will go F2P for sure.,,,when is the question I think.

Avatar image for -wildflower-
#10 Posted by -wildflower- (2997 posts) -

Like nearly every other so-called "AAA" MMORPG, post-WoW, my guess is it will go f2p within the year.

I have ZERO interest in playing this game, free or otherwise.

Avatar image for MBirdy88
#11 Edited by MBirdy88 (12181 posts) -

It's not bad.... just not great either. its another GW2 ... on with elder scrolls, and an actual good combat/trinity/dungeon system.... so in other words, potentially a GOOD version of GW2.... for PvE'rs ... and even ebtter for PvPers.

lol at the people that said trinity wasn't needed... called it as an epic fail from the start.

Avatar image for couly
#12 Edited by couly (6164 posts) -

Not bothered with it.

Avatar image for BSC14
#13 Edited by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

It's not bad.... just not great either. its another GW2 ... on with elder scrolls, and an actual good combat/trinity/dungeon system.... so in other words, potentially a GOOD version of GW2.... for PvE'rs ... and even ebtter for PvPers.

lol at the people that said trinity wasn't needed... called it as an epic fail from the start.

Agree 100% about the trinity thing. Said it from the start too because without some kind of organized combat role it turns into a massive mess.

Avatar image for PredatorRules
#14 Posted by PredatorRules (12016 posts) -

IMO failed attempt, all we gamers wanted is Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim with co-op - that's it.

They've spent too much time and money on a game that no one will care off in few months from it's day of release - meaning the game will fail and forcing to become a free to play.

Avatar image for Ondoval
#16 Posted by Ondoval (3103 posts) -

The PvE/exploration part is fun, but with very low replayability (you barely will return to a zone which has its quest done). This part alone can get busy the players for a few months, but at the end probably will be not enough to assure the subscriptions.

The RvR, instead, is nothing sort of spectacular, with a HUGE map and interesting mechanics, but it's in the hands of Zenimax and the community to build how each realm becames balanced or not. The final experience can became really enjoyable (or not) based in so many things that is hard to predict...

On the other had, I disagree about the criticism against the GW2 model of "no trinity": no trinity is much better for the whole experience, and trinity itself will have a very small role in ESO (due dungens are build towards groups of 2-4 players). In terms of combat GW2 crushes this game, but I will buy ESO and I will give it a try.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#18 Edited by FelipeInside (28537 posts) -

Well, personally I've never been able to get into Elder Scroll Games (tried Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim and something just puts me off), yet I had a lot of fun in the beta and will probably buy the MMO, so I guess it has done SOME THINGS right.

And enough with the F2P = failure thinking, it's not like that anymore. People need to learn how business works.

Avatar image for Maroxad
#19 Posted by Maroxad (14623 posts) -

It will do will at launch, due to a large ammount of box sales then go f2p within a year because the game wont be worth the sub fee for most people.

@MBirdy88: But an mmo doesnt need a trinity. In fact they should move away from trinities too.

Instead they should bring back roles that once were commonplace such as support and controller. City of Heroes was nothing short of brilliance when it came to roles, and the enchanter from EverQuest is the best mmorpg class ever, neither CoH or EverQuest 1 uses the overly dumbed down trinity system we see today.

That said, the trinity system still beats the mess that is a certain DPS fest that I wont mention.

Avatar image for Led_poison
#20 Posted by Led_poison (10146 posts) -

PvP seems fun but I want to see end game pve. I'd buy it for the initial month.

Avatar image for MBirdy88
#21 Edited by MBirdy88 (12181 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

It will do will at launch, due to a large ammount of box sales then go f2p within a year because the game wont be worth the sub fee for most people.

@MBirdy88: But an mmo doesnt need a trinity. In fact they should move away from trinities too.

Instead they should bring back roles that once were commonplace such as support and controller. City of Heroes was nothing short of brilliance when it came to roles, and the enchanter from EverQuest is the best mmorpg class ever, neither CoH or EverQuest 1 uses the overly dumbed down trinity system we see today.

That said, the trinity system still beats the mess that is a certain DPS fest that I wont mention.

Oh I agree. by trinity i just mean the 3 core staples. I would welcome the branches further out in the trees.... even vanilla/ TBC wow had... well kinda controller classes... but agreed not quite the same as the ones you mention.

Avatar image for pelvist
#22 Posted by pelvist (6775 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

Free to play in the first year. Good enough for f2p, but not for a sub.

This is what i was thinking after playing the beta.

Avatar image for killatwill15
#23 Edited by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

I think the over monetization will effect it on the pc but not so much on consoles.

wrong,

because consolites will have to pay online access fees,

on top of subscriptions

Avatar image for JigglyWiggly_
#24 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (24606 posts) -

Movement looks bad, graphics aren't that special(their budget is huge)

World looks boring, quests look bad, and p2p

no thanks... but I am obv just judging from gameplay videos

It'll do fine because of the name though.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (25621 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I think the over monetization will effect it on the pc but not so much on consoles.

wrong,

because consolites will have to pay online access fees,

on top of subscriptions

My friend, you misunderstand. Consoles will pay it, pc gamers wont. It appears I am right.

Avatar image for killatwill15
#26 Edited by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@killatwill15 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I think the over monetization will effect it on the pc but not so much on consoles.

wrong,

because consolites will have to pay online access fees,

on top of subscriptions

My friend, you misunderstand. Consoles will pay it, pc gamers wont. It appears I am right.

pay what,

the **** are you talking about,

the subscription fee is still there for consoles and pc.

so really what are you talking about?

Avatar image for Maroxad
#27 Edited by Maroxad (14623 posts) -

@MBirdy88: I am kinda worried the trinity is in personally. Interdephendance does not mean co-operation. Sure the trinity being in there when well implemented is a great thing, but what is the case with a lot of modern mmos and their implementation of it is that you will be ultraspecialized in your tanking or healing role that there is absolutely no way you can really assist fellow players.

A lot of modern trinity games you dephend not on the team's ability to co-operate but rather everyone to not suck at their role. Early WoW was good with this though, paladins and shammies got pretty close to the support role that I have come to love and while raids tanking in TBC, it was not uncommon for me to use restoration spells, if the enemy was either slow enough or gave me the opportunity to quickly leave bear form to bark skin or innervate the healer with the least ammount of mana, I would take advantage of that opportunity.

Edit: Personally, I find tank, damage dealer and healer to be the least interesting of all the mmo roles. Both support and control are much more interesting, BUT in order for them to work, you need a semi-competant dev team (something which is appearantly lacking with most modern mmo dev teams).

Avatar image for carlandcarl
#28 Posted by carlandcarl (1251 posts) -

I hope they go free to play at some point. The Beta was very fun but not sure if I'm willing to play a monthly fee for it.

It'll be a subpar subscription game but would be one of the best free to play games if they went that route. But then again I don't want pay to win that can come with free to play either so im torn between the two

Avatar image for cgpg
#29 Posted by CGPG (25 posts) -

Undoubtably it will be a big hit to start with but eventually will wain.

Is it going to be subscription based? The ONLY MMORPG I'm aware to that is subscription based is the big one.

All the others are free to play.

Avatar image for BSC14
#30 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

I just can’t decide if I want to get it. It can’t be as bad as GW2 and from what I hear it gets a lot better once you’re past lvl 10ish.

But those animations….they are just sooo bad. Not sure I can stomach it.

Avatar image for vfibsux
#32 Edited by vfibsux (4497 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

I just can’t decide if I want to get it. It can’t be as bad as GW2 and from what I hear it gets a lot better once you’re past lvl 10ish.

But those animations….they are just sooo bad. Not sure I can stomach it.

While WvW disappointed me and I eventually quit playing, GW2 grabbed me from the start and I leveled two 80's for fun....and I am not a pve guy. And you have to admit GW2 has been very successful despite you not liking it. I have had free access to the 24/7 beta in ESO and have zero desire to play it. It was a chore to try to grind it out past level 10 even, it just was not fun to play. The only reason I would play this game is the pvp, but it is not worth a sub.

Avatar image for BSC14
#33 Posted by BSC14 (4187 posts) -

@vfibsux said:

@BSC14 said:

I just can’t decide if I want to get it. It can’t be as bad as GW2 and from what I hear it gets a lot better once you’re past lvl 10ish.

But those animations….they are just sooo bad. Not sure I can stomach it.

While WvW disappointed me and I eventually quit playing, GW2 grabbed me from the start and I leveled two 80's for fun....and I am not a pve guy. And you have to admit GW2 has been very successful despite you not liking it. I have had free access to the 24/7 beta in ESO and have zero desire to play it. It was a chore to try to grind it out past level 10 even, it just was not fun to play. The only reason I would play this game is the pvp, but it is not worth a sub.

hmmm.....good to know.

We will avoid GW2 talk...it never goes well.

Your opinion of ESO is disappointing because I know you were looking forward to it.

Avatar image for vfibsux
#34 Posted by vfibsux (4497 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@vfibsux said:

@BSC14 said:

I just can’t decide if I want to get it. It can’t be as bad as GW2 and from what I hear it gets a lot better once you’re past lvl 10ish.

But those animations….they are just sooo bad. Not sure I can stomach it.

While WvW disappointed me and I eventually quit playing, GW2 grabbed me from the start and I leveled two 80's for fun....and I am not a pve guy. And you have to admit GW2 has been very successful despite you not liking it. I have had free access to the 24/7 beta in ESO and have zero desire to play it. It was a chore to try to grind it out past level 10 even, it just was not fun to play. The only reason I would play this game is the pvp, but it is not worth a sub.

hmmm.....good to know.

We will avoid GW2 talk...it never goes well.

Your opinion of ESO is disappointing because I know you were looking forward to it.

Well since our tastes obviously differ who knows, you may like ESO.

Avatar image for FelipeInside
#35 Posted by FelipeInside (28537 posts) -
@SEANMCAD said:

It has about as much chance of being a major player long term as my grandmother has being a successful pole dancer

Depends what you mean by "major player".

It probably will go F2P but that doesn't mean it won't have thousands of players playing.

No MMO is going to maintain 10 millions subscribers now, those days are gone.

But games like SWTOR, Rift, GW2 and ESO still will have a steady amount of people playing. They are ALL making money or else they would have closed shop by now.

Avatar image for Maroxad
#36 Edited by Maroxad (14623 posts) -

I looked at the Dragon Knight skills. And it seems like tanking is at least moderately fun in this game, plenty of skills that aid with controlling foes, synergize with other skills and help me survive.

I wonder how viable tanking is in PvP. And by tanking I mean creating a character with strong defenses and a lot of CC.

Avatar image for kozzy1234
#37 Edited by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

Was not impressed with the beta to be honest... I do think it will do alright, but within a year or two I could see it goin free to play. I mean how many people are really goin to pay a monthly fee for long term these days? If I ever got this game it would be just to play with a friend for a few months. Gotta say though, not very impressed, but then again Bethesda isn't what they use to be, atleast for me.

Avatar image for donmuath
#38 Posted by donmuath (64 posts) -

It's going to be one giant, very expensive, flop.

Avatar image for Elann2008
#39 Edited by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -

The popularity of the Elder Scrolls name will carry this MMO as far as it can go until it becomes Free-to-play.

Avatar image for Maroxad
#40 Posted by Maroxad (14623 posts) -

@kozzy1234: It isnt bethesda who made this game though.

Which may help explain why the game has absolutely no respect towards the existing TES lore. This game has as much to do with TES as TaleWorlds has to do with With Fire and Sword.

Avatar image for edinsftw
#41 Posted by edinsftw (4244 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Movement looks bad, graphics aren't that special(their budget is huge)

World looks boring, quests look bad, and p2p

no thanks... but I am obv just judging from gameplay videos

It'll do fine because of the name though.

For once i agree with you.