Easiest newbie race in Starcraft?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

Now, as old as it is, I just started playing Starcraft.

I know it's laughable, given how old the game is, but after so much good was said about it I had to try it- even if I am 9 years late.

But because people have been playing for almost a decade, understandably I'm getting completely owned. Over and over again. Anally.

So I was looking for some tips, specifically, which race is the easiest to start with?

Please no flaming, I know I'm a newbie:cry:

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I know it's laughable, given how old the game is, but after so much good was said about it I had to try it- even if I am 9 years late.

But because people have been playing for almost a decade, understandably I'm getting completely owned. Over and over again. Anally.

So I was looking for some tips, specifically, which race is the easiest to start with?

Please no flaming, I know I'm a newbie:cry:

Big_Red_Button

None just stick to a race and use it.....  Getting owned is what is suppose to happen if you want to learn...

DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts
terrans i guess
Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

I'd have to say Terran because they are human, and it is easier to associate with the characters.  For example, you know what a marine is going to do.  What an Armory is for, and what a barracks is for.  Protoss and Zerg utilize "alien" way of achieving similar characters and weapons, but with completely different nomenclature.

Protoss are tough, but overall units are more expensive.

Zerg reproduce in large numbers and are cheaper.

Terran are in between.

But if you decide to battle online, it is best to become familiar with the race you decide not to choose so that you understand some of their more complex tactical shortcommings.

Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts
Go with the terrans. The Zerg are difficult to use because they rely on brute force and numbers. I know that Protoss units are expensive, but powerful (which means that you will only go with a few units to battle). The terrans are a blend of the previous 2 traits. You can field a large army, you have units that are not quite expensive, and they worf GREAT when using combined arms tactics (like infantry supported by tanks...). Anyway, thats just my opinion...
Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

Go with the terrans. The Zerg are difficult to use because they rely on brute force and numbers. I know that Protoss units are expensive, but powerful (which means that you will only go with a few units to battle). The terrans are a blend of the previous 2 traits. You can field a large army, you have units that are not quite expensive, and they worf GREAT when using combined arms tactics (like infantry supported by tanks...). Anyway, thats just my opinion...Whermacht02

With proper support, the Siege Tanks in Siege mode are one of the most destructive units in the game.

StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
i would say terran, just build a barracks and spam M&M medics and marines when you start off
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I also think that Terrans are the easiest, but after almost hmm 8 years of playing it, I think I find Zerg as my fav race. Understandable and easy to manage (for me atleast :P )
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Big_Red_Button
Same here lol. My friend gave me the game 2 years ago for Xmas, and I just started playing yesterday. Now I feel retarded for letting it collect dust.
Avatar image for NegativeBalance
NegativeBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NegativeBalance
Member since 2004 • 622 Posts
terran are definately the easiest to learn. They also have good defensive structures and are great in the early game (to counter rushes). Once you get the tanks the assault force becomes much more rounded out.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts
Dont have a lot of MP experience, but I liked Terrans cuz they are the best turtles.  Establish bunkers, tanks, and turrets then just send out swarms of marines and medics.
zaitsev_v1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zaitsev_v1
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts
I say protos are the best. Even though the units are a little more expensive than the rest, you can you a lot of hit-n-run tactics. And the shields will re-charge themselves.
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
Terrans is easier to start off imo, but Im a zerg fan.
SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 SoberWarock
Member since 2005 • 3086 Posts
Terran is about strategy, Terran could be the best race in the game if you know how to use them Zerg is better for rushing and protoss, well protoss are just overrated.
ElectricNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ElectricNZ
Member since 2007 • 2457 Posts
[QUOTE="SoberWarock"]Terran is about strategy, Terran could be the best race in the game if you know how to use them Zerg is better for rushing and protoss, well protoss are just overrated.

So you're saying the other 2 races aren't about strategy? Every race is the best if you know how to use them, ffs WCG 2006 world champs was won by Zerg.
aposgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aposgr
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
The Zergs.They have the cheapest units and buildings and can train their army faster than the other races.8)
BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BloodMist
Member since 2002 • 32922 Posts
I would have to say either Terran if you like to turtle, since they are without a doubt the best defensive race, or Zerg if you like to rush, because they're the best rushers.Terran is probably the easier one because it is the most accessible, with Zerg and Protoss having quite a bit different structure than most races or sides in RTS's.
johnnyb47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 johnnyb47
Member since 2004 • 408 Posts
I have to say that when I started playing StarCraft multiplayer, I was naturally attracted to playing with Terrans, and also found them the most intuitive to handle. Nevertheless, I usually found myself losing in front of early Zerg rushes or later due to overwhelming Protoss Carrier / Reaver attacks, problems that I didn't encounter whenever switching to any of the other two races.
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Terran is by far the easiest for someone new if you're talking about multiplayer. Zerg is probably the hardest because they take the most micro-managing due to the units having low HP and dying quickly.
accord100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 accord100
Member since 2005 • 442 Posts
man this thread makes me feel like playin StarCraft again. I agree with most everyone else here that Terran would be the easiest to learn the game with. All three races are really well balance and have their own feel, but my personal favorite is the Protoss.
_Devastator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 _Devastator
Member since 2007 • 303 Posts

Depends on the strategy you plan on going with.

The Zerg rely on numbers.  The Protoss rely on re-usability.  The Terran are a balance between the two.

I started with the Protoss because you usually have (on the average) less units to manage.

After getting used to creating massive amounts of units, the Zerg became my most commonly used race.

Time is a factor also.  The longer the battle, the trend seems to follow this pattern:  Zerg - Protoss - Terran. 

Short battles favor the Zerg and long battles favor the Terran.  I only say that because of the Nuke and Battlecruiser combined, edge the Mind Control and Carrier.  Although, if you are the Protoss and Mind Control a SCV, you can build the entire Terran Tech tree, but that takes a lot of time and resources.

Hey, that is what is so great about Starcraft w/Brood War.  There really is great balance.  I suggest picking one race, getting confortable with it, then move to another.  Trust me, you'll want to if not just to understand the weak points of each race.  My only real problem is that the 'tank' or heavy units for the Zerg are not as effective as the Terran and Protoss.  All it takes is one air attack on an Ultralisk and you'll understand what I am talking about.