Eagerly Awaiting Aion, But Is It The Game For Me?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pumpatron87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Pumpatron87
Member since 2004 • 114 Posts

The first ever MMORPG I played was Guild Wars & I absolutely loved it, but once I'd completed the game, reached max level & done clear after clear of dungeons such as Underworld/Fissure of Woe etc I became bored of it as there really wasn't much else left to do. I guess it was no surprise really considering it was F2P. Anyway, I then decided to go a step further & subscribe to World of Warcraft, which was around 1 month before WOTLK expansion came out, so I joined at a rather late date. I then played for around 8 months & also loved it but things such as Gold Sellers, a massively childish community involving arguments near enough every time I logged on etc caused me to uninstall the game & cancel my subscription. This along with the fact that the game had been out since 2004 caused me to look elsewhere for a decent MMORPG.

A month or so later Warhammer Online had just come out, therefore I bought it & gave it a shot. I played for a few weeks & started noticing a RAPID decline in population across all EU servers. Every server I looked at said "LOW" in regards to it's population, and considering the game is based a lot on PvP the gameplay suffered immensely, therefore I ended up quitting. The next MMORPG I tried was Age of Conan, but I'm sure a lot of you have read how much AoC is suffering in regards to member population etc. Basically the same thing happened with AoC that happened in Warhammer Online, so I quit THAT aswell.

So here I am now waiting for a decent MMORPG to come out therefore I thought Aion looked pretty decent & it's supposedly meant to arrive in stores here (UK) on the 25th September 2009. The thing is, I'm worried that it may just end up like AoC and Warhammer Online where people play it for a week or so, then just quit altogether & go back to WoW etc. I'm looking for a game where near enough everybody in it is starting from scratch and we're all "noobs" so to speak, therefore as I'm levelling etc I'll have many people around my level to play with. I have two choices really, resubscribe to WoW or wait 2 months for Aion to come out & buy it, but I just don't want to waste my money if it will possibly go down the same route as AoC & WO. On the other hand, there's many OTHER MMORPGs coming out soon therefore is Aion the route to go down for me (taking into account my experience with previous MMOs) or are there other upcoming ones that will be better suited to me?

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
The only way to know if the community is going to thrive or not is to wait a little after release. If the community seems stable, you could go for it.
Pumpatron87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pumpatron87
Member since 2004 • 114 Posts

Well I just figured I'd post the original question as the game has been out in Korea for a while so I've heard, therefore I thought people would be able to let me know if it IS successful or not.

djmillard2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 djmillard2
Member since 2005 • 1372 Posts
korea's gaming scene is totally different from us. things like f2p fps's are huge over there where they are not as big over here. South Korea has multiple TV channels dedicated to competitive gaming
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts

Well I just figured I'd post the original question as the game has been out in Korea for a while so I've heard, therefore I thought people would be able to let me know if it IS successful or not.

Pumpatron87
I don't think whether or not it was successful in Korea or not would effect how successful it is in US/Europe. Koreans have much different tastes in games, especially MMO's. It seems like the majority of the US/Europe hates the Korean grind MMO's that are so popular there. I shouldn't make any kind of judgement because I have not played it, but my guess is that Aion is just going to be like WAR and AOC in the way that it's really hyped before launch, but after a few months the population starts to dwindle. But I could be wrong, and heck, might even buy it if I hear it's pretty awesome. With the exception of The Old Republic, I don't like to look forward to MMO's anymore, because I've been suckered in to buying at launch too many times and regretting it.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

The first ever MMORPG I played was Guild Wars & I absolutely loved it, but once I'd completed the game, reached max level & done clear after clear of dungeons such as Underworld/Fissure of Woe etc I became bored of it as there really wasn't much else left to do. I guess it was no surprise really considering it was F2P. Anyway, I then decided to go a step further & subscribe to World of Warcraft, which was around 1 month before WOTLK expansion came out, so I joined at a rather late date. I then played for around 8 months & also loved it but things such as Gold Sellers, a massively childish community involving arguments near enough every time I logged on etc caused me to uninstall the game & cancel my subscription. This along with the fact that the game had been out since 2004 caused me to look elsewhere for a decent MMORPG.

A month or so later Warhammer Online had just come out, therefore I bought it & gave it a shot. I played for a few weeks & started noticing a RAPID decline in population across all EU servers. Every server I looked at said "LOW" in regards to it's population, and considering the game is based a lot on PvP the gameplay suffered immensely, therefore I ended up quitting. The next MMORPG I tried was Age of Conan, but I'm sure a lot of you have read how much AoC is suffering in regards to member population etc. Basically the same thing happened with AoC that happened in Warhammer Online, so I quit THAT aswell.

So here I am now waiting for a decent MMORPG to come out therefore I thought Aion looked pretty decent & it's supposedly meant to arrive in stores here (UK) on the 25th September 2009. The thing is, I'm worried that it may just end up like AoC and Warhammer Online where people play it for a week or so, then just quit altogether & go back to WoW etc. I'm looking for a game where near enough everybody in it is starting from scratch and we're all "noobs" so to speak, therefore as I'm levelling etc I'll have many people around my level to play with. I have two choices really, resubscribe to WoW or wait 2 months for Aion to come out & buy it, but I just don't want to waste my money if it will possibly go down the same route as AoC & WO. On the other hand, there's many OTHER MMORPGs coming out soon therefore is Aion the route to go down for me (taking into account my experience with previous MMOs) or are there other upcoming ones that will be better suited to me?

Pumpatron87

The first ever MMORPG you played wasn't an MMORPG. How's that for a failed start.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#7 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Im eagerly waiting to see how Aion does in the reviews. My concern is Aion is going to be a Lineage 2 clone.
FFXIZawuhibu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FFXIZawuhibu
Member since 2004 • 249 Posts

Honestly I think aion will do well in both the US/EU after playing the beta it already feels great to play I think the only thing stopping it from launching now is the localization and for a mmo it is off to a great start as in it is not a broken game for launch like many others have been in the past Aion might be the game for you however I would probably wait just to be safe you wont miss much and its very easy to lvl. as a side note you should try EVE Online its a great game and because of the complexity everyone is still a noob + u wont have trouble finding help

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts

It doesn't seem as grind heavy as the other games, which is a + for the Western markets.