DVI-D vs HDMI For My Computer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HelpWithPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HelpWithPC
Member since 2013 • 140 Posts

I am getting a Asus VH238H  with a Sapphire Radeon 7970 and I was wonder wether to use DVI-D or HDMI. 

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Same thing. Both are digital signals,HDMI has audio
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

dvi can do audio too on the graphics card side
no difference on your monitor, you can use hdmi or dvi
but if you had a 120/144 display you'd want to use a dual link dvi cable, since none of them are hdmi 1.4 (except maybe a random exception)

HelpWithPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HelpWithPC

Also I dont want to have to make another topic, but my laptop has been run slow lately and I was wondering if I could just get a new hard drive to make it run faster. It takes about 10 secs to boot up but when I am on the desktop it takes a few minutes for me to open any programs. Also could I make any other upgrades to it.

http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2011/gateway/nv/NV75S/NV75Ssp2.shtml

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Also I dont want to have to make another topic, but my laptop has been run slow lately and I was wondering if I could just get a new hard drive to make it run faster. It takes about 10 secs to boot up but when I am on the desktop it takes a few minutes for me to open any programs. Also could I make any other upgrades to it.

http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2011/gateway/nv/NV75S/NV75Ssp2.shtml

HelpWithPC
An SSD would do wonders for general usability. Just another mechanical hard drive would have little effect.
HelpWithPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HelpWithPC

Also, if I was to change the RAM to 8GB cause it only has 4GBB would that make a significant difference.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Also, if I was to change the RAM to 8GB cause it only has 4GBB would that make a significant difference.

HelpWithPC

I'd say doing a little bit of spring cleaning like a defrag, disk cleanup, uninstall of old programs, disabling programs that are running at startup (msconfig at command line>Startup tab), using CCleaner, Spybot, Antivirus, etc would probably go a longer way towards helping speed up your system instead of going to 8 GB of RAM.  I'd try that first to see if it helps before going off and spending $$ on memory.

That being said, going up to 8GB in any system is never a bad thing.

HelpWithPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HelpWithPC

[QUOTE="HelpWithPC"]

joseph_mach

I'd say doing a little bit of spring cleaning like a defrag, disk cleanup, uninstall of old programs, disabling programs that are running at startup (msconfig at command line>Startup tab), using CCleaner, Spybot, Antivirus, etc would probably go a longer way towards helping speed up your system instead of going to 8 GB of RAM.  I'd try that first to see if it helps before going off and spending $$ on memory.

That being said, going up to 8GB in any system is never a bad thing.

I gave the wrong model it is a gateway nv75s02u but I have had a extensive history with this laptop. So far I have had 3 hard drives in this thing. The first one I fried cause I barely knew anything with hardware and cooling. Second one just failed after a few months and the one I have now is only 282gb. Honestly I have done things like that already and I have maybe seen a difference but none for long term. But after I get my new desktop I will put a 500gb 7200rpm hdd and 120gb ssd since it has 2 different slots. The bad thing about this is I have only had this laptop for 1.7 or 1.9 years.