Dual Monitors - Any point for PC Gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

So I have the chance to get another monitor for free...smaller than the one I have now but the same quality and resolution.

Question, is there any point of having two monitors for PC gaming? I mean I see the benefit of having three, you can do surround setup...but two seems kinda pointless.

Thoughts?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

No, not really. You could use it for extra desktop space (if you sacrifice real life desktop space). I personally don't see anything worth in it.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

For gaming? You could put information regarding the game on it, e.g a walkthrough.

Other than that, no not really.

However it would be silly only to use a pc for just gaming.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I think for gaming you need odd numbers of the same size. one in front and then you can expand out to the sides.

alternatively you could use the extra smaller one for a map screen or something if the game supports it.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Gooeykat said:

So I have the chance to get another monitor for free...smaller than the one I have now but the same quality and resolution.

Question, is there any point of having two monitors for PC gaming? I mean I see the benefit of having three, you can do surround setup...but two seems kinda pointless.

Thoughts?

If you decide to stream you gameplay via Twitch for exmaple it's almost a must to have, to easy read the comments while you play and respond

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Yeah, just as I suspected, I'm not really missing out on anything and I'd rather save my desk space. Thanks guys.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

Ya for gaming its not very useful (I used it while playing dayz for a map), I use my second monitor for various other things besides gaming though, I find it quite handy.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

I wouldn't use two monitors for gaming, maybe multi-tasking. I do use three though and I have two extra sitting around here.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I feel naked without my extra monitors

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Some RTS games like the "Annihilation" games can take advantage of two monitors, but generally speaking if you do multimonitor you want an odd number so the center of your screen (the focal point in many game types) doesn't straddle a bezzel. At least two monitors is great for pretty much everything else, though.

-Byshop

iMaxTheLimit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 iMaxTheLimit
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

but if you are getting it for free.. Definitely get it. You never know. What if your monitor breaks/ or you decide to start streaming. Its always better to get it if you are getting it for free

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58268 Posts

not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question: does anyone recommend software or anything for dual monitors? Basically I want to have two unique desktops I can swap back and forth from, like I have my main one I am gaming on but then on my second monitor I might have a guide or video playing on and if I hit a key combination I can jump over to the second monitor really quick, then jump back to my main one.

Or is this something I can do with Windows 10?

*basically I'd have my main gaming monitor and then a "research" monitor

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question: does anyone recommend software or anything for dual monitors? Basically I want to have two unique desktops I can swap back and forth from, like I have my main one I am gaming on but then on my second monitor I might have a guide or video playing on and if I hit a key combination I can jump over to the second monitor really quick, then jump back to my main one.

Or is this something I can do with Windows 10?

*basically I'd have my main gaming monitor and then a "research" monitor

If you play games in "Windowed" mode, you should simply be able to Alt+TAB to the other monitor. Most games I play are "Fullscreen" on a single 1920x1080 monitor or across all three for 5760x1080, but there are a couple of games I play windowed (League of Legend) so I can quickly ALT+Tab to another program if I'm chatting with someone in Steam or streaming my game.

You shouldn't need any fancy software to do what you're looking at.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Whenever I have multiple monitors hooked up to my pc I get tearing in games so I only have 1 active input at a time unless I have my TV hooked up and friends over.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Two sucks for gaming but is great for everything else. 3 is amazing if they are the same monitor so its like one big screen. I tried two for gaming and u instantly realize why it sucks. Everything in the middle(which is the focus on most games) is split in half.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

dat necro thread

thechancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By thechancer
Member since 2017 • 7 Posts

O.K had to make an account just to chime in here, 1st even back when this thread started there was reasonable usage in games for 2 screens usually the purpose of that usage would be as someone said walk thews and guides and such, also if your into the min maxing there's spreadsheet usage, direct control of media in the background on your gaming system, perhaps some games like battlefields have something called battlescreen *think server based map*, so you don't have to tap M every 3 seconds in HC modes and thus giving snipetards tug usage back, there is also a few games that again use a map feature in game not externally, on the map theme perhaps you have a huuuge sandbox and need a map Arma sizes for example skyrim.. Anything that has a map or could use it you can have it on screen 2.

There is also regular work loads on pc's, word stuff, spreadsheet cross referencing etc, Photoshop-like stuff uses 2 screens to great effect.

There is, and has been for a long time usage for 2 screens.. Usually if gaming is the thing game on main monitor and any of the above on screen 2... or whatever you like. So say no to the naysayers if you have the option of a 2nd or 4th screen and your GPU can deal with it jump in. Have fun and good luck. just a side note, if the center of your gaming screen is the bezel your doing it wrong, hahaha.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Free is free

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It's a necro. But, what the heck.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

Ultrawide 21:9 is better than most two monitor setups.

bigcmaple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By bigcmaple
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

<p>dual monitors are definitely worth it if they are free... you can use the other to stream twitch or do some other sort of multitasking. I would not use it as a dual display for your game however. You also should get dual monitor stands. These stands may help. Hope this is useful. http://thereviewgurus.com/reviews/best-dual-monitor-stand/</p>

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127501 Posts

Come on guys, don't bump these old topics.