dual channel regarding Memory - what?! @_@

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts

hi guys. can anyone give a brief info on what "dual channel" actually is regarding ram.

because i'm thinking about adding 1 stick of 2gb in addition to 2 sticks of 2gb(4gb total) that i already have.

my buddy told me that the "dual channel mode" would be removed if i added another stick.

currently 2 out of 4 ram slots on my motherboard are empty and since i'm adding 1 stick, empty slots would be

down to 1 out of 4 and the other 3 slots will each contain 1 stick of 2gb ram(6gb total).

if i had to guess, this "dual mode" means only taking up 2 out of 4 slots. having 3 removes the "dual channel."

whatever this dual channel mode is. does the pc lose performance if i lose that "dual channel mode" by adding another stick?

i always thought that adding ram just means adding more memory (ie. a good thing for my pc! :P)

any help would be appreciated. thank you.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Dual-channel architecture describes a technology that theoretically doubles data throughput from the memory to the memory controller. Dual-channel-enabled memory controllers utilize two 64-bit data channels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Dual channel allows two data channels to be used simultaneously to access RAM. Whilst in theory it sounds great it makes pretty much no difference in practice.
Janus67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Janus67
Member since 2005 • 316 Posts

Dual channel allows two data channels to be used simultaneously to access RAM. Whilst in theory it sounds great it makes pretty much no difference in practice.markop2003

I thought that was true with a difference between dual and triple channel, but dual vs single makes a difference performance-wise.

eBusiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 eBusiness
Member since 2009 • 405 Posts

hi guys. can anyone give a brief info on what "dual channel" actually is regarding ram.

because i'm thinking about adding 1 stick of 2gb in addition to 2 sticks of 2gb(4gb total) that i already have.

my buddy told me that the "dual channel mode" would be removed if i added another stick.

currently 2 out of 4 ram slots on my motherboard are empty and since i'm adding 1 stick, empty slots would be

down to 1 out of 4 and the other 3 slots will each contain 1 stick of 2gb ram(6gb total).

if i had to guess, this "dual mode" means only taking up 2 out of 4 slots. having 3 removes the "dual channel."

whatever this dual channel mode is. does the pc lose performance if i lose that "dual channel mode" by adding another stick?

i always thought that adding ram just means adding more memory (ie. a good thing for my pc! :P)

any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Batang_X990

What processor do you have? Mordern Intel processors are capable of running a mixed mode with some of the memory in dual channel. That said, are you sure that you need more memory?

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

[QUOTE="markop2003"]Dual channel allows two data channels to be used simultaneously to access RAM. Whilst in theory it sounds great it makes pretty much no difference in practice.Janus67

I thought that was true with a difference between dual and triple channel, but dual vs single makes a difference performance-wise.

true that going from single to dual channel does make a difference especially response time when using programs and opening Windows ( though in gaming there is minimal difference)
Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts

[QUOTE="Batang_X990"]

eBusiness

What processor do you have? Mordern Intel processors are capable of running a mixed mode with some of the memory in dual channel. That said, are you sure that you need more memory?

no i am not sure :P i just thought about it for future reference and for my lack of knowledges' sake.

AMD Athlon II X4 640 OC @ 3.3ghz

4gb(2 sticks of 2gb) DDR2-800 5-5-5-18

HD 5770 OC @ 915/1380

Win 7 64

700W Cool Master 80+

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

[QUOTE="eBusiness"]

[QUOTE="Batang_X990"]

Batang_X990

no i am not sure :P i just thought about it for future reference and for my lack of knowledges' sake.

AMD Athlon II X4 640 OC @ 3.3ghz

4gb(2 sticks of 2gb) DDR2-800 5-5-5-18

HD 5770 OC @ 915/1380

Win 7 64

700W Cool Master 80+

Why not buy 2 sticks of 1GB and problem solved? ;) Channel 1 1+2GB Channel 2 1+2GB =6GB in dualchannel!