Dual 320MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS or a single 8800 GTX

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dills334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Dills334
Member since 2007 • 270 Posts

I'm getting a custom built computer from alien ware and i was wondering because i'm trying to keep money in mind. Should i get Dual 8800 GTS or get 1 GTX and get get anouther 8800 gtx in mabey4-6 months from now and install it my self.

Note: I was wondering would it be harder to install new hardware like....a new....Video card on a computer that's built by or lets say " Customized" computer than one you buy at a store.?

skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 skinnypete91
Member since 2006 • 6022 Posts

I think 2 GTS are actually better than an Ultra, so performance wise, go for the GTS'.

On the other hand, SLI is a hassle, with driver problems etc. and by getting the GTX, you still get great performance and the option to SLI later on.

Also, building your own PC would usually be a lot cheaper than buying a prebuilt one, especially from Alienware.

dmanrevived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dmanrevived
Member since 2004 • 1595 Posts

Actually, I read that SLI with these 8800 cards aren't that great, so I'd opt for a single GTX.

I believe hardware is a bit easier to install on a computer put together by yourself than one that is from a computer like Dell or HP or so on. The cases and motherboards are simply easier to work with because they're meant for you to fiddle with, where companies like Dell probably don't want you to mess around inside or your warranty is void or something.

Dills334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dills334
Member since 2007 • 270 Posts
When i said 8800 Gtx i didn't mean the ultra though.
skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 skinnypete91

Well seeing as Ultra > GTX, if 2x GTS > Ultra then obviously 2x GTS > GTX.

Comprende?

dmanrevived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dmanrevived
Member since 2004 • 1595 Posts

When i said 8800 Gtx i didn't mean the ultra though.Dills334

He was saying that that two GTS are better than an Ultra, and the Ultra is better than a GTX. So two GTS are better than a GTX.

I don't know if he's right or not. I just know that the performance/price ratio for SLI 8800 cards are very very low relative to the performance/price ratio of single 8800 cards.

skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skinnypete91

[QUOTE="Dills334"]When i said 8800 Gtx i didn't mean the ultra though.dmanrevived

He was saying that that two GTS are better than an Ultra, and the Ultra is better than a GTX. So two GTS are better than a GTX.

I don't know if he's right or not. I just know that the performance/price ratio for SLI 8800 cards are very very low relative to the performance/price ratio of single 8800 cards.

I agree about SLI (and Crossfire), its seems to be a way of spending double your money without getting nearly double your performance lol

I'm not certain about the 2x GTS vs Ultra but I have heard it several times.. maybe I'll look for a link in a bit :)

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
well since you have money in mind i would say just go for the GTX...it will max pretty much everything and you can always SLI later when the prices drop
skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skinnypete91

I found a way of comparing SLI GTS vs Ultra etc., did it via Toms Hardware Graphics Card Charts, you have to do it via 2 tabs.

The GTS's are slightly better than the Ultra, on the default benchmark (BF2142), when I say slightly, its literally only a few FPS!

Here are the links if you want to look in detail: Single card charts, Dual card charts .

Hope this helps! :)

shanelevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shanelevy
Member since 2004 • 1316 Posts

I found a way of comparing SLI GTS vs Ultra etc., did it via Toms Hardware Graphics Card Charts, you have to do it via 2 tabs.

The GTS's are slightly better than the Ultra, on the default benchmark (BF2142), when I say slightly, its literally only a few FPS!

Here are the links if you want to look in detail: Single card charts, Dual card charts .

Hope this helps! :)

skinnypete91

I suggest you look at some of the other benchmarsk in those charts, not just the battlefield 2142 benchmark.

The 2 GTS cards put out 20 or more frames per second on oblivion and doom.

Personally, I'd say that the dual GTS cards are a way better deal if they can do 75 fps on oblivion maxed rather than the GTX's 53 FPS. Thats a 22 fps difference. At 1600x1200 the difference is 32 vs 42 fps. Thats like a 25% performance increase that the SLI GTS cards have over the single GTX.

All in all, a single GTX is not a good price per performance card when compared to a GTS, and 2 GTS's outperform a single GTX in every benchmark i looked at, sometimes by a large margin.

hlhmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hlhmark
Member since 2004 • 368 Posts
id get a gtx as i had a 640mb 8800gts and i traded it for a BFG 8800 ultra oc and it pummels it into the ground, with 2 8800gts vs 1 gtx or 1 ultra yes they can beat a gtx or ultra but only in certain games and most ive seen is only by a few fps lol and some games dont use sli so i.e. stalker so it would use 1 cards power :( so id get a gtx or oc`ed gtx and in time(when the prices drop) you could get another gtx and destroy the 2 8800gts sli. also if your getting the 320mb in sli ive heard that they can loose loads of fps in certain games even compared to the 640mb in sli
cameron06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 cameron06
Member since 2005 • 266 Posts
2 ATI HD2900XTsin crossfiregives out quite abit better perfomace then the ultra, and the 8800 GTS is allmost or even so abit more powerful then the HD2900XT, so 2 GTS would be absoluty better then a GTX, while theres only 128 MB difference it wont matter, games like crysis will really benfit from a dual video card system.
hlhmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hlhmark
Member since 2004 • 368 Posts
lol its better to have 1 single card that can keep up or looses by a couple of fps than to have 2 as some games dont use sli or crossfire so u will have wasted money, get an overclocked gtx or an ultra as the ultra only just looses to 2 gts 640mb as for the 320mb in sli in some games they cant keep up even with them in sli and thats with overclocked gts so if an overclocked gtx/ ultra went against them they may start pulling away again. sli is a bad choice for money as you dont get 2x the performance of 1 card so because you get 100fps with one card getting another doesnt make it 200fps it may give you a 20% increase maybe more maybe less but no game i have seen actually gives you anywhere near a 100% increase