skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Is there any difference in native resolution and using NVidia DSR. I no how DSR works I was just wondering if there is any difference. I no a 1080 GTX is over kill at 1080p but say in 3 years time when you want that bit more power using 4k DSR may have it advantages on a 1080p monitor later on instead of a native 4k monitor. At least you got option to turn it down. Using even 1440p in 3 years time might use even more power?.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

DSR is not nearly as good as having the native resolution.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

I have a 1080p monitor and a 970gtx so I don't use 4k DSR on my monitor very often... but it looks a bit better on some types of games. However the sharpness of the overall image is decreased a bit using it. (it can be easily overcome using sharpness settings in a graphics injector)

If a game has a lot of grass and trees, regular antialiasing does't improve those if they are transparent/alpha textures... thats where supersampling improves them. But supersampling doesn't always work, or is a huge performance hit, or just may be incompatible with a game. Using DSR has that effect of supersampling but actually better performance and better compatibility of a game lets you run at that resoultion. In games i've run with 4k dsr, the graphics sometimes better than anything i can max out using similar supersampling.

I find DSR very useless on really old games that are really low quality textures and polygon counts. Even if you can run DSR with them its not even worth it since most of them don't have UI scaling and you will be dealing with tiny text and image quality that is likely the same as using some mild usage of supersampling. My favourite SS to use if i can get away with it is 8xSQ (2x2 SS + 2x MS), knocks out all noticeable edges.

I see what your saying though about keeping a 1080p monitor, since in 3 years from now, games could be more demanding and be harder to hit 60fps if you were stuck on a 4k monitor. I have no intention in getting a 4k monitor until i can buy a $500 video card that can do at least 80-100 fps at 4k. Even 60fps i find a bit sluggish in a lot of action games. It seems it could be around 2+ years or so before a video card i'm looking for will be able to do that. Even the Titan XP can't really do much more than 60fps, and even drops below 60fps in some games, in future games it will be even harder to max out the fps with even that card. Its not a futureproof 4k card is what im saying.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

dsr doesn't even come close to the real thing

one of the biggest advantages of 4k is the extra workspace available on the desktop and that's something dsr can't give you

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Yeh while it's better than your normal resolution, it's not as good as the "target" resolution, it has a small performance cost on top of rendering at higher res as well. I only use it for older titles more or less or just to test some stuff out

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By skipper847

On a proper 1440p/4k monitor or tv does the icons go tiny like they do in DSR?.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

DSR does a hell of an antialiasing job. It gives a great picture. The problem is...if your gpu can render your games at that resolution, why are you still on a low res monitor? See?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Huge difference... Especially if you use a big screen. DSR 4k on my 40" screen looks like 1440p... Native 4K on my 40" looks significantly better, I assume its less noticeable on smaller screens.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

DSR is not nearly as good as having the native resolution.

It actually is pretty close but only if you're using the exact double of your resolution. The other options like 1.5x ect will look bad. The only one that should be used is 4x which is double.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 skipper847

@demi0227_basic: Saving up. only just managed to save for this PC what I just ordered as said in other post that it should arrive this Friday. Order still in process. So for now I have to stick with my TV or monitor what I got at 1080p. I am looking to get a 1440p or 4k in January. Until then I will use NVidia DSR when I get my new PC. I have tried DSR with my current setup and the lag or latency is big when using any DSR so see what my new pc does.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@skipper847 said:

@demi0227_basic: Saving up. only just managed to save for this PC what I just ordered as said in other post that it should arrive this Friday. Order still in process. So for now I have to stick with my TV or monitor what I got at 1080p. I am looking to get a 1440p or 4k in January. Until then I will use NVidia DSR when I get my new PC. I have tried DSR with my current setup and the lag or latency is big when using any DSR so see what my new pc does.

I did the same thing some time ago. DSR'd what games I could (970sli) at 1080 until I got a 1440 144hz panel. DSR, if you have the power for it to keep near 60fps, really does make a better picture. I think just because it's perfect antialiasing...very clean image.

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

I currently game on a 49 inch HDTV with a 1080, i7 rig and DSR makes a huge difference to the overall image, completely eliminating jaggies in most games. The sweet spot for me is usually max settings, 2k DSR and anti-aliasing, which produces a really smooth picture and an easily maintained 60 FPS. Games such as GTA V look incredible like this and so much better than the console versions. I just don't feel the need to upgrade my native resolution until 4k, HDR TVs become more affordable.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By skipper847

Just sent a email to place where I ordered it and they say built tested and dispatch by 16th of September here next working day. Which will be Monday 19th. Cant wait. I will try normal 1080p at firsy and will go up one by one DSR resolution.

Idontremember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Idontremember
Member since 2003 • 965 Posts

Well,
I tried it a few time on my 1440p monitor, but having 100+ fps made more of an impact than a higer rendering resolution.