Dragonball Z on the PC... Poll and Opinions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 OneNeo1
Member since 2008 • 390 Posts

Ok, now we all (most of us anyway) love DBZ. Fans of it have loved or hated the many game incarnations that have been spawned by the manga & show. One problem, they have all been platform games.

Now I know that there have been a few (very few) successful and many unsuccessful attempts at fan made games and mods. Until now I am aware of only a couple that are worth playing at all (I can count them on one hand).

Do you think they should make DBZ games for the PC?

Why do the game makers refuse to make DBZ games for the PC (ports and/or originals)?

Would you buy them if they did?

What do you expect out of a PC version of a DBZ game?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Do you think they should make DBZ games for the PC?

Yes they should :P.

Why do the game makers refuse to make DBZ games for the PC (ports and/or originals)?

They don't really have a big budget and to port it for use on a keyboard and still keep it's feeling, it's atmosphere, is impossible, maybe if they would make it especially to be played on a gamepad, but since it is PC, gamepad exclusive is inappropriate.

Would you buy them if they did?

Yes, of course>:)

What do you expect out of a PC version of a DBZ game?

Everything from the console versions because they are very good.

OneNeo1
ashunpnoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ashunpnoy
Member since 2003 • 371 Posts
The problem i have with console games going to the PC is the ease of piracy. i would assume that if there was a DBZ PC game, someone out there would image it (or w/e they do) and put it out there.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust

The problem i have with console games going to the PC is the ease of piracy. i would assume that if there was a DBZ PC game, someone out there would image it (or w/e they do) and put it out there.ashunpnoy

Do you know that, DBZ is one of the most pirated games on PS2 and Xbox 360?

Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts

A Dragonball Z mod, Earth's Special Forces, is one of the most popular mods on Steam. It's almost as popular as Garry's Mod in terms of player activity.

I think a DBZ game, with some effort put into it, would work great on the PC.

OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 OneNeo1

A Dragonball Z mod, Earth's Special Forces, is one of the most popular mods on Steam. It's almost as popular as Garry's Mod in terms of player activity.Einhanderkiller

As I said in my original post, I can count on one hand the number of good playable home-brewed DBZ games, ESF is one of them, and if you haven't tried it yet, for a good chuckle, you should give Lemmingball Z a whirl...

As for pirates bootleggin' the games, well, I am afraid that it is not limited to just PC games as DanielDust suggested.

But I really think that the PC is a completely untapped market for this genre, just from playing games like ESF, BFP, DBSoruce etc, the customer base is already out there, and I know for a fact that some are already platform users as well, but I have asked around while ingame, and the responses were overwhelmingly positive in favor of PC versions of DBZ games being released. Ports or otherwise.

Here is to keeping our fingers crossed, or at the very least, more fans making their own games and mods (and completing them).

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
while i like the manga VERY much, DBZ isn't even close to being the best fighting game franchise on console. and if the big boys have wisely chosen not to waste resource to appear on pc, which is near non-existant market for them, i don't see why DBZ should.
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts
The only commercial one I can think of now is Dragon Ball Online. The difficulty with any DBZ game is balancing between a good representation of the anime/manga and a fun accessible game. I think they are reluctant to do one for the PC because they don't have the knowledge of the audience that this would appeal to such as how big it is, what they want from this sort of game and whether they favour authenticity or accessibility. I'd probably buy DBO to show I support DBZ games on the PC but I don't expect it to be more than an ordinary MMO with DBZ overtones.
OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OneNeo1

The only commercial one I can think of now is Dragon Ball Online. Buffalo_Soulja

Geez; I can't believe I forgot all about DB:Online, I think old age is setting in. Ya, I'll probably get it too, even though I really am not an MMO player in general, but I would like to support the development of DBZ games for the PC, so every little bit helps.

sketchymofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sketchymofo
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts

I dont think it would work out.

OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OneNeo1

I am really surprised this debate is as close as it is, I really would have thought there would have been a much larger response to this poll, not to mention a far greater positive response. But that is what this is about finding out what people really think.

I myself will still hold out hopes for a DBZ game, and hopefully the upcoming Dragonball live action movie is not what spawns one, as we all know most movie to video games translate very poorly, especially since the Dragonball movie is taking many artistic turns away from the origins of Dragonball. But then again, at least it would be some form of Dragonball game, I guess...

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

I have no idea what Dragonball Z is.

I assume it's pronounced Dragonball Zee, but, being British, I shall pronounce it Dragonball Zed now and forever.

That is all I have to say on this topic.

Arronaxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Arronaxxx
Member since 2003 • 306 Posts
Number 4: I don't really care :)
OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 OneNeo1
Sorry, gotta BUMP this for the weekend users.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts
The only anime movies I've ever mildy enjoyed were Totoro and Spirited Away, both of which I saw many years ago. Even these two movies were really corny though, anime voice acting is awful.
KillOBKilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 KillOBKilled
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts
Well I for one would love to see it come to PC. I'm a fan, but I don't really console game all that often, so a PC game would be fun.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

The only anime movies I've ever mildy enjoyed were Totoro and Spirited Away, both of which I saw many years ago. Even these two movies were really corny though, anime voice acting is awful.BlueBirdTS

You... uh... you watch anime with dubs?

Subtitles, my friend. Subtitles.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]The only anime movies I've ever mildy enjoyed were Totoro and Spirited Away, both of which I saw many years ago. Even these two movies were really corny though, anime voice acting is awful.fatshodan

You... uh... you watch anime with dubs?

Subtitles, my friend. Subtitles.

What he said. Well, most of the time. Rarely, I do prefer the dub version of a certain anime. But most of the time, yeah, subs are best.

I really wouldn't care about a Dragonball Z game on the PC. I've never liked the anime, it felt too immature and cheesy, even when I was little.

middito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 middito
Member since 2003 • 955 Posts
dont make such a broad generalization. you must not like cars cause you saw an ugly beater on the road a few times.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

dont make such a broad generalization. you must not like cars cause you saw an ugly beater on the road a few times.middito

Are you talking to me?

Kuyt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Kuyt19
Member since 2007 • 856 Posts
Well, i've watched enough DBZ episdes to know who's who and what's what. I find the theme a bit childish, but that also makes it fun to watch(i still watch Tom and Jerry :P). The concept of the characters getting stronger and more powerful with each fight gives it a good base for an RPG adaptation(i hope). And who wouldn't want to be able to destroy a whole planet with a single power shot from eyes? It's corny, but also fun in a silly kind of way.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BlueBirdTS

dont make such a broad generalization. you must not like cars cause you saw an ugly beater on the road a few times.middito

I find that, with the exception of perhaps the best anime, such as that produced by Ghibli studios, anime has certain idiosyncracies that are er, how can I put this delicately...painful. The huge eyes, the minimal animation, the blocky faces, the exaggerated voice acting (both in English and Japanese), and the overly dramatic plots just don't appeal to me. Perhaps I'm narrow minded and have become Westernized, but I can't place anime on the same plane as some of the best classic Disney and Pixar animations. If there's anything I do like about anime, it's how bizzare it is and how it offers me a way to understand the Japanese psyche.

Let's face it, anime was initially designed as a cheap version of Western cartoons. It's only now that it has become popularized worldwide that it has improved.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanielDust

[QUOTE="middito"]dont make such a broad generalization. you must not like cars cause you saw an ugly beater on the road a few times.BlueBirdTS

I find that, with the exception of perhaps the best anime, such as that produced by Ghibli studios, anime has certain idiosyncracies that are er, how can I put this delicately...painful. The huge eyes, the minimal animation, the blocky faces, the exaggerated voice acting (both in English and Japanese), and the overly dramatic plots just don't appeal to me. Perhaps I'm narrow minded and have become Westernized, but I can't place anime on the same plane as some of the best classic Disney and Pixar animations. If there's anything I do like about anime, it's how bizzare it is and how it offers me a way to understand the Japanese psyche.

Let's face it, anime was initially designed as a cheap version of Western cartoons. It's only now that it has become popularized worldwide that it has improved.

Actually anime are the first actual "cartoons" those western cartoons you are taking about came about 8 or 12 years after and the first one was Transformers and there are more "mature" anime not only for kids, pokemon for example is child-ish, but try to watch Evangelion and we'll talk after. Anime have different styles some are blocky some are not and every style is unique and I admire the art of drawing and how variable it can be and even if you don't like anime, you can't really say that they don't look good. Anime is an art, cartoons are just fun, look at the Simpsons for example, average, mediocre, low quality drawing, but does anybody care? no because it is fun, most anime are not only fun, they are complex and have more elaborate stories. Don't know what anime you saw but it was definitely one for kids if you meant what you said.

Oh and if Totoro and Spirited away were the only anime you saw then you can't really say that from only 2 can't you? especially since they ARE FOR KIDS. Spirited Away according to IMDB is the best anime movie in history, honestly I hated it and I would give it a 6.8 and Tottoro? sorry if you watch anime like that hen you really have no right to say that anime are corny and have weird voice acting, are drawn weird and that the story sucks. If you were 5 years old maybe you could give Totoro as an example but I;m guessing you're well over 18 :|.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BlueBirdTS
[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"]

[QUOTE="middito"]dont make such a broad generalization. you must not like cars cause you saw an ugly beater on the road a few times.DanielDust

Actually anime are the first actual "cartoons" those western cartoons you are taking about came about 8 or 12 years after and the first one was Transformers and there are more "mature" anime not only for kids, pokemon for example is child-ish, but try to watch Evangelion and we'll talk after. Anime have different styles some are blocky some are not and every style is unique and I admire the art of drawing and how variable it can be and even if you don't like anime, you can't really say that they don't look good. Anime is an art, cartoons are just fun, look at the Simpsons for example, average, mediocre, low quality drawing, but does anybody care? no because it is fun, most anime are not only fun, they are complex and have more elaborate stories. Don't know what anime you saw but it was definitely one for kids if you meant what you said.

I suppose. I know that not all anime is bad, it's just the animation looks a little low budget. I also personally don't like the art style, but that's just my opinion. I grew up watching Pinocchio, The Lion King, Snow White, Bambi, Dumbo, etc. so perhaps my views aren't valid. You can't tell me you didn't like Fantasia when you were a kid.

Also, Disney films inspired modern anime. Well, at least according to Wikipedia (admittedly not the most reliable source):

"The success of Disney's 1937 feature film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs influenced Japanese animators.[6]Osamu Tezuka adapted and simplified many Disney animation techniques to reduce the costs and number of frames in the production. This was intended to be a temporary measure to allow him to produce material on a tight schedule with an inexperienced animation staff."

OneNeo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OneNeo1

Well, I love anime, and I love Disney, and yes both have their weak attempts, and both have their classics, or standouts. For me DBZ in particular was not the best drawn, nor the best acted, though I love Sean Schemmel's Goku, he brings the character to life, as does Chrstopher Sabat's Vegeta's overacting makes that character.

But what makes the series come to life for me is not just that, but the fighting, it's like you go see a Rocky movie, and you just wanna kick someone's a$$ after it, and you know nobody likes Stallone or Rocky movies, but they do bring out the beast in us, I kinda get that feeling from the Dragonball series, it's just a matter of a guy who gets beat down, going out of his way to go the extra training, and come back and wail on the bad guy for all he's worth. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

And for some strange reason, even with all the cheese factors at maximum in the Dragonball series, long drawn out battles and the like aside, it did have a good base story line, that I actually cared to see what ended up happening, even if the end of the series was not what I would have had it be (I am one who does not count GT as the end of the series, more of just an added bonus for fans of the show is how I look at it, 'cuz it wasn't DB or DBZ that's for sure).

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
It'd be nice if this would start up the fighting genre on PC. They could do some great effects with PC's power.
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts

Dude even though I am an adult now and still like it, I can still recognise its lameness.