Dragon Age or neverwinter Nights 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TerrorToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TerrorToaster
Member since 2009 • 207 Posts

Well, it's that time of the month again. I have a huge urge for an RPG. I've narrowed down the choices to DA:O and NWN2. DA:O has a larger price tag, but it seems to be reviewed everywhere as "ZOMGZ BUI NOWZ OAR DIE!!!1!!11!11!1111!"

Which one can people reccomend more? (please give reasons)

Thanks for any posts!

TJamesA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 TJamesA
Member since 2007 • 570 Posts

I recently had the choice of whether to continue playing NWN2 or DA:O, and I chose Dragon Age, it wasn't even really a question of which is better, Dragon Age is a much better game hands down, NWN2 simply did not live up to the legacy of the original NWN.

carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
As an owner of NWN, NWN 2, and Dragon Age I would have to say Dragon Age. Like TJamesA said, NWN 2 doesn't hold a candle to the original but Dragon Age is quite simply awesome (opinion). Dragon Age has a full featured tool set like NWN 1/2 do so user created levels are a big thing.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
DAO.
Lemonio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lemonio
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts

honestly, this is a stupid question

of the two, the obvious choice is Dragon age

however, nwn2 is not that good

there are tons of rpgs better than nwn2

kotor, witcher, dragon age, mass effect

you are just doing a poor comparison

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Lemonio
For the love of god...First please stop using absolutes and second its not a stupid question and three you arent giving an arguement. Next time try to see it from the other persons side. Id expect this from a 10-13 year old...oh wait. (For the OP - I absolutely love Dragon Age. Its packed with content. I dont think Id like NWN2. I played the first and it got tedious. I think. *shrug*)
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#7 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Well If you're not going to press on and play NWN2:MotB, Dragon Age.is the best choice.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

NWN2 simply did not live up to the legacy of the original NWN.

TJamesA

The original NWN was only good for its multiplayer, otherwise it just felt like a bad tech demo without much of a plot. NWN2 was far better, imo.

As for a comparison between NWN2 and Dragon Age, Dragon Age has more polish while NWN2 is deeper and more imaginative. If you're into action and cinematic experiences, get Dragon Age, if you prefer a more interesting storyline and DnD combat, get NWN2 (and the first expansion pack, which is one of the best RPGs of the gen).

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I have a very very hard time getting into NWN2. DA:O is more simple, but still complex at the same time.

hydr0_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hydr0_32
Member since 2009 • 420 Posts

Dragon Age Origins without a doubt..

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

well, if you talk about the NWN2 with addons vs DA:O it becomes a bit blurry.

Out of the base games DA:O has overall better production value, altho it is likely the shorter of the two (around 60 hours)

If you do count the exp packs for NWn2 it is as I said above, a close race, they are pretty similar in many aspects gameplay aspects, what sets tehm apart tho is the setting

DA:O Is fairly steriotypical in terms of "new fantasy" IE: post LOTR, nothing will be really new or make a Uturn storywise that you did not expect, but it is masterfully executed. It has some pretty likable companions, and it has a surprising amount of humor, in an otherwise "maturish gray game"¨

NWN2 has more of a Fairytale feel to it, and comes off like a less grim and serious game, there is always this strange smirk about it. It has the more complex character builds, and has a list of classes that makes it easier to tailor your character. The game has alot more color, but otherwise built up pretty much like DA:O but the citys and areas you go through often comes off as faceless, due to the fact that you do not get a lot of lore about the places.

They are both partybased, and they are both well done. NWN2 is ofcourse the older of them, but when I playied it earlier this year, I was amazed at how well the graphics had held up in this game (and if you get it patched itll run fine too) Especially spell effects looksnice, altho oddly none of these games looks as good spellwise as NWN1 or BG2

I would ofcourse recommend both ^^ but if you have to go with just one, it is a question about weather you like Fairytale like RPGS, or more Gritty dark (Think the witcher) type games.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

i haven't really played NWN2 so obviously i'm not a very good judge of this matter. but a well-adopted DnD ruleset will easily promise the deepest and most sophisticated crpg experience. imo DAO isn't even better than IWDs, so i have a feeling that my vote will got to NWN2, which i'm staill eagerly waiting for a platinum release. :(

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

NWN2+MotB, more complex and well-rounded class and leveling system, which will provide more replayability since there are more interesting choices for PC and overall party configurations...DA:O in comparison is very dried, mage, rogue, and you're mostly done with interesting PC build, and the shallow cIass system and easy NPC management don't inspire more than two thorogugh playthrough.

NWN2 OC already is on the same level as DA:O in terms of roleplaying, MotB simply eats DA:O alive in this department.

both has the same colorful NPCs and backstroies since they are all BG2-ish.

DA:O has one adventage, since it's streamlined and simplified, it's easier to get into and more addictive to play in the first 1 or 2 playthrough.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Dragon age, far better in every way!!
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts

Dragon Age>>NW nights 2 according to me....

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts
Get both. ASAP !
Anubispt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Anubispt
Member since 2005 • 43 Posts

Dragon Age for the most part.

It depends really, but DA :O come out more polished and simplified without lossing anything from it.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

dragon age origins is far more better than neverwinter nights 2

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="teardropmina"]

NWN2+MotB, more complex and well-rounded class and leveling system, which will provide more replayability since there are more interesting choices for PC and overall party configurations...DA:O in comparison is very dried, mage, rogue, and you're mostly done with interesting PC build, and the shallow cIass system and easy NPC management don't inspire more than two thorogugh playthrough.

NWN2 OC already is on the same level as DA:O in terms of roleplaying, MotB simply eats DA:O alive in this department.

DA:O has one adventage, since it's streamlined and simplified, it's easier to get into and more addictive to play in the first 1 or 2 playthrough.

No it isn't not even close.. The story is painfully cliche, and the game extremely linear.. The engine is also one of the biggest system hogs I have ever seen.. As for the rule system, I will agree to an extent.. Though I would not choose NWn2 any day due to adopting a really poor translation of the rulesets.. DnD ruleset can not be adopted very well Dragon Age Origins, is far more enjoyable.. It has way better story, way more meaningful dialogue, it looks better as well as runs alot better.. Furthermore Dragon Age Origins isn't as cliche as the typical fantasy setting.. Which was a bit refreshing when games like NWN series has been in Faerun over and over again.. Being pretty much the biggest stereotypical setting.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

I do have both but have not completed DA yet so I can't really give a complete review of it, but it is pretty good, but content and depthis lacking. NWN2 original campaign is okay but not as good as DA, the expansions MoTB and SoZ are both very good (MoTB being the much better of the two and better than the orignal campaign but much shorter). Plus NWN2 has on-line Perpetual Worlds (currently I'm playing on the Kingdom of Winterhaven server and it's fantastic!). And NWN2 has user created campaigns that are pretty good as well.

So in terms of most bang for your buck, NWN2. If you're just looking to play a great SP campaign and move on to other things, DA.

therealFrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 therealFrek
Member since 2003 • 705 Posts

Honestly I wouldn't turn this into an either/or situation for yourself. Both NWN2+expansions and DAO are worthly of playing. If you want to do it on the cheap then play NWN2 first (get the gold edtion and find the SOZ expansion cheap somewhere, you can also get the MOW adventure pack for $5 from the Atari website if you buy it before Christmas). By the time you get done playing the OC -> MoTB -> SOZ -> MOW, Dragon Age will be at a discounted price.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

NWN 2 : MotB is better than Dragon Age in every way including the Character ruleset (obviously), story ,characters, dialogues etc but the only issue would be it's short. NWN 2 on the other hand while it is longer and it provides a slightly better story than the really generic Dragon Age one , it takes quite a bit of time to get going and even then it's slightly less interesting due to lack of good quests. Dragon age suffer from this too time to time like some underground parts which were just a long ride of excessive grinding

In short :

A simpler game with more action , more polished and much more cinematic -- Dragon age

A deeper game with better story and a really great but short addon --- NWN 2 + MotB

edit : Also NWN 2 does have quite a few User created modules. Dragon age also has a pretty cool Module Creator, but there are no modules as of now

edit2 : the above advise of getting both of the eventually is definitely the best one

Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

You can add one more to the ''get both'' crew.

It's hard to tell which one is better, Nwn2 campaign wasn't bad but Mask of the Betayer totally blew me away in my first playthrough. Storm of Zehir has mixed reactions, personally i loved going through with my own created party for a change, while plot wise it's weak it's a change from the standard crpg formula. Mysteries of Westgate was also quite a surprise, very enjoyable and well crafted.

Dragon Age is a formidable game in every aspects and has more polish but in the end i think i got more hours in Nwn2 than i did in Dragon Age. I do prefer the character customization of Nwn2, it's complex and deep while the Dragon Age one is on the simplistic side but other than that no complaints. Dragon Age DLC however... i really do hope they will change the formula, overpriced for 20 mins of gameplay (looking at you, Warden's Keep).

XtcmeLS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XtcmeLS
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts

teardropmina

This, While Dragon Age is better looking and Easier rules (No confusing Dand D rules) NW2 after getting thru the dreadful beggining, has superior Character developement, and story INHO. But dragon age is just....more fun, for me anyways. I havent finished it yet (lev 17 Rouge,ranger,assasin) Haveing a blast!

johnkar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 johnkar7
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts

DAO but in my opinion first NWN was the best.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

I recently had the choice of whether to continue playing NWN2 or DA:O, and I chose Dragon Age, it wasn't even really a question of which is better, Dragon Age is a much better game hands down, NWN2 simply did not live up to the legacy of the original NWN.

TJamesA
You gotta be kidding me. NWN 2 is a MUCH better game than NWN. It's also better than DA in almost every category.
Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 Revan_911
Member since 2007 • 1709 Posts

DAO but only because it has gay elf on dwarf softcore action.

SIAS87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SIAS87
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Dragon age is what NWN2 should of been. Action and combat is clear. The effects,graphicsand camera control is a great improvement. Story telling is first class.

viko87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 viko87
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Dragon age!! its one of the best game i ever played!
Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts

I have a very very hard time getting into NWN2. DA:O is more simple, but still complex at the same time.

JangoWuzHere
Yes NWN2 is very hard to get into but it never worked for me.DA:O is better than nwn2.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Dragon age.
Gauzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gauzz
Member since 2009 • 101 Posts
well i have played, and sometimes i still do, NWN 1 and 2 but try to compare Dragon Age: Origins with them its almost impossible... Dragon Age: Origins is a masterpiece is the top of the top of the RPG games... from my point of view the is not comparision between those games... i dont know... Dragon Age beat NWN in everything...! my vote goes to, of course, Dragon Age!
chertoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 chertoo
Member since 2009 • 536 Posts

nwn2 was too boring and bland.. couldnt force myself to take interest.. dragon age is better from what i seen but im only into it for 1-2 hours so i dunno..

yobaby2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 yobaby2009
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

Lemonio

agree bro

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Guess, it really depends on what you wanna spend.... Personally, I'm waiting for Dragon Age to go down in price, before I buy it... Most likely, it's going to have it's own expansions, too. Although I'll probably get it before any of them come out and it gets packages as Gold or Platinum.

But, if you can't wait... then you're going to buy it, no matter what people suggest.

As for NW2, it doesn't get interesting until, after Act II (mainly, that of the jury trial which is a Crono Trigger throwback, really.). And it takes about 40 hours, before you get that far (well unless you skip all the side quest and don't bother activating optional dialog.).

AlphaHumana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AlphaHumana
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts

They're both good, but NWN2 is better in every reasonable measure. The first expansion, Mask of the Betrayer, is also incredible (I didn't care much for Westgate or Zehir though, personally.) Dragon Age is simple and generic and kind of feels like a console game, despite some folks' claims that it was developed first and foremost for the PC.

Dragon Age would be a good starter RPG and you may enjoy it more because I assume if you haven't gotten NWN2 by now you're probably new to PC RPGs (not intended as a jibe.)

mmdoran1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mmdoran1
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

DAO or NWN2.. Ive played both as well as MoTB and SoZ. I strongly prefer NWN2 OC over DAO because..

Character Building- in NWN2 you can any one of 10+ races and 20+ classes as well as multiclassing up to 4 different classes. you can be a sword weilding healing, nuker that picks locks and sets/disarms traps!

Crafting- you can custom make your own armor and weapons, as well as magical items like staves and amulets!

Stronghold- you aquire, manage and develop your own stronghold.

Gameplay- you can que actions.

Treasure- a much more rewarding treasure system, where bosses dond just drop studded leather helms and hard to open chests dont yeal health poultices.

Story -better story 3 years earlier.

Casting- you can cast from memory(wizard) or by day(sorceror) not just mana and cooldown.

Companions- More than just 2 arcane companion options (in both OC and MoTB)

DAO advantages...

better graphics

Zeran_kariashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zeran_kariashi
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Avoid Neverwinter Nights 2 like the plague, it's an embarressment to the name, and like all obsidion games, a piece of crap. Even with the most up to date patches, all the current x-packs and a comp that kills the recommeded requirements it still looks and runs like crap and has (in the OC at least, MoB is pretty good I admit) a story line written for a 12 year old. That said, Dragon Age isn't much better. The story is decent, but unless you've already got it, I'd actually recommend picking up Baldur's Gate the complete saga, it's like 30 bucks or so now and is a MUCH higher quality experience then any of this garbage thats come out lately.
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4415 Posts
NWN 2 was boring, had uninteresting characters and too much dialogue options....whereas Dragon Age: Origins is an all around winner with more than 50 hours of solid gameplay.
liffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 liffi
Member since 2004 • 254 Posts

DA:O for me. I never liked NWN for some reason. I played BG and then I tryed play NWN and it just didn't feel right and not as much fun. Sure I had some fun with my friends in nwn but it still was some what boring to me. But I don't say it's a bad game. I just didn't like it.